2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 15:44
mwillems wrote:Max and Lewis can drive anything. Lando seems pretty able to drive around issues too. He can learn his way around a problem as well as anyone.
I wouldn't say Lewis can drive anything. In fact, his weakness is non-championship cars. With those cars, he has a hard time against his teammates, such as Button and Russell. When the car is at its best, he performs better and better. But we don't know what the situation is now; 2021 was three years ago, and he is getting older.
I think it's worth remembering that vs George we have geriatric Lewis and that vs Button he was an emotional rollercoaster due to his personal life. I always wanted Button to be the better driver and even though numbers can show they were equal, they were not in raw talent.

I think Button has spoken at length around Lewis ability to drive anything vs Button needing the car a certain way.

Lewis is a driver who had to work on his head, and totally changed his life to get the success he craved.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Sep 2024, 16:00, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Formula 1 fan 1996 wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 15:47
Is it realistic that Mclaren will fight for the driver's title in 2025?
Yes.

-Bandit

Formula 1 fan 1996
Formula 1 fan 1996

mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 15:49
Yes.
Which team could be main rival for McLaren for driver's title in 2025?

Lucky
Lucky

Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:43
Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:07
Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:01

I have never praised Piastri either. I have given him the benefit of the doubt since this is only his second year in F1 and in Lando's second year in F1 he got outscored by Carlos. But Oscar hasn't exactly been mega-impressive when you take into consideration how many races this year he has been struggling with tire wear when Lando has had race-leading pace.

Nevertheless Lando has always been a great qualifier (generally speaking), even in his rookie season. Although this year he has been making more mistakes than usual in qualifying too.

Qualifying isn't everything though. George is destroying Lewis in their respective head-to-head. Even though people are saying this is one of the worst Lewis seasons in a while, he still is some 40 points ahead in the standings.

But the fact that Lando hasn't been able to outscore Oscar, the rookie teammate in his second year, in the last 8 or so races tells you everything.
13-3 score in qualifying, Lando is not doing well in qualifying.
241-197 race score, Lando does not race well.
The worst things about McLaren this season are strategists and management, and they are responsible for most of the blame for Norris being so far away from Max.
Ah, there is the person who looks at numbers and refuses to look past it for context.

It's not Lando who had weak Q3 last runs at Bahrain, Japan, Imola, Monaco, Silverstone and Spa.
It's not Lando who has dropped points in Saudi, Monaco, Spain, Austria, Hungary, Belgium and Italy.

Apparently being only 40 points up on your rookie teammate at his second season is considered good performance even though you only had one DNF while your teammate got f*cked in China, Miami, Imola and Silverstone through not fault of his own.
This will probably be news to Oscar fans. Lando also lost a lot of points through no fault of his own. Count carefully.

mwillems

07 Sep 2024, 15:51
mwillems wrote:
Yes.
No idea. The gaps are close and any of the current top four and even Aston Martin could get in on the act.

The big backdrop to the 25 season is the 26 development.

It's why we want to be careful because some teams might sack off 25 or even some development this season so they can focus for the new regs.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 15:53
Emag wrote:
Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:07

13-3 score in qualifying, Lando is not doing well in qualifying.
241-197 race score, Lando does not race well.
The worst things about McLaren this season are strategists and management, and they are responsible for most of the blame for Norris being so far away from Max.
Ah, there is the person who looks at numbers and refuses to look past it for context.

It's not Lando who had weak Q3 last runs at Bahrain, Japan, Imola, Monaco, Silverstone and Spa.
It's not Lando who has dropped points in Saudi, Monaco, Spain, Austria, Hungary, Belgium and Italy.

Apparently being only 40 points up on your rookie teammate at his second season is considered good performance even though you only had one DNF while your teammate got f*cked in China, Miami, Imola and Silverstone through not fault of his own.
This will probably be news to Oscar fans. Lando also lost a lot of points through no fault of his own. Count carefully.
Okay, now I am an Oscar fan apparently. Could you be so kind and list the occasions where Lando lost points due to no fault of his own? Count carefully.

Lucky
Lucky

Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 15:56
Lucky wrote:
Emag wrote:

Okay, now I am an Oscar fan apparently. Could you be so kind and list the occasions where Lando lost points due to no fault of his own? Count carefully.
You said that, so count it, only in both directions.

Emag
Emag

Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:02
Emag wrote:
Lucky wrote:

I am curious to know which races you think Lando lost points through no fault of his own.

Lucky
Lucky

Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:06
Lucky wrote:
Emag wrote:

I am curious to know which races you think Lando lost points through no fault of his own.
At least Saudi Arabia, Australia, Canada, Austria, Britain.

Emag
Emag

Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:10
Emag wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Interesting, nice talking to you then.

For other people who are open to viewing things without favoriting one driver or the other :

1 - Lando had a weak qualifying in Saudi. He got unlucky with the safety car but his pace was nothing special even compared to Oscar, so he only finished ahead of a struggling Merc and behind the driver who was racing in F1 for the first time.

2 - Although Lando claims to have had the pace to finish ahead of Leclerc in Australia, that was a comment that was made at the end of the race and he did not know the full picture. Ferrari was the better car by a decent margin and even if McLaren had reacted quicker to the undercut, he wouldn't have finished ahead of Leclerc. Not even mentioning that everyone got a free position with Max's retirement.

3 - Lando had unlucky safety car timing in Canada but McLaren fizzled out once the rain started falling again. He did not have the best pace on-track and it was Lando's decision together with the team to extend his second inters. They were even slower on full-dry and if anything, he got lucky that Russell messed up and did not overtake him because Mercedes was flying.

4 - At Austria, Lando failed to finish his overtake on Max when he had the chance during the sprint. He then got LUCKY that RedBull messed up their pitstop. Because of that. he was put into a position where he could overtake Max again, but he was hasty and ended up giving up a secure P2 at the very least.

5 - At Silverstone, the whole team messed up every single strategy choice that race but the reason I count Oscar as the one who got screwed the most is because McLaren left him out and lost him 30 seconds instead of double-stacking and losing him 5 tops.
Last edited by Emag on 07 Sep 2024, 16:27, edited 5 times in total.

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
Emag wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Austria he was gambling again putting his car i to several silly and fruitless but risky positions on track, and Britain he overshot his pit. Strategy wasn't great, but he would have come out in front of the Ferrari and brought his tyres in, instead of hitting a battle.

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:13
Lucky wrote:
Emag wrote:

Austria he was gambling again and Britain he overshot his pit. Strategy wasn't great, but he would have come out in front of the Ferrari and brought his tyres in, instead of hitting a battle.
Oscar fans will come up with any excuse.

Ben1980
Ben1980

07 Sep 2024, 15:51
mwillems wrote:
Yes.
Take your pick. I'd expect Red Bull to be favourites. Then Mclaren and Ferrari. With a Mercedes wild card, at least initially, with some spotty teen doing god knows what.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Emag wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Emag wrote:

I can give you Miami when Sainz took him out. Silverstone definitely when the team didn't double stack. Where was the place ge had a 3 place penalty, though not sure if that was on him, the team or both.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:13
Lucky wrote:
Emag wrote:

Austria he was gambling again putting his car i to several silly and fruitless but risky positions on track, and Britain he overshot his pit. Strategy wasn't great, but he would have come out in front of the Ferrari and brought his tyres in, instead of hitting a battle.
With the soft performance im not sure he would have held on anyway. The strategy was the decider on that one.

He came out 2 behind Hamilton, and had a 4.5 pit, ( from memory) so it was always going to be a fight.