2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:15
mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:13
Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:10

At least Saudi Arabia, Australia, Canada, Austria, Britain.
Austria he was gambling again and Britain he overshot his pit. Strategy wasn't great, but he would have come out in front of the Ferrari and brought his tyres in, instead of hitting a battle.
Oscar fans will come up with any excuse.
So these weren't key reasons for his final classification? It's no point that he came close to getting around Max on 2 occasions in Austria Throw the car alongside like that against Max and you know what will happen, do it 20 times and you should expect it. He was a desperate gambler again.

Silverstone was one of those things. His mistake put him in a position where he cooked his tyres. Strategy was the bigger problem, but to suggest Lando didn't screw up is somewhere between optimism and denial.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:21
mwillems wrote:
Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:10

At least Saudi Arabia, Australia, Canada, Austria, Britain.
Austria he was gambling again putting his car i to several silly and fruitless but risky positions on track, and Britain he overshot his pit. Strategy wasn't great, but he would have come out in front of the Ferrari and brought his tyres in, instead of hitting a battle.
With the soft performance im not sure he would have held on anyway. The strategy was the decider on that one.

He came out 2 behind Hamilton, and had a 4.5 pit, ( from memory) so it was always going to be a fight.
He didn't get the chance to see. He screwed over the dodgy strategy and let Max finish ahead of him as a direct result.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:26
Lucky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Austria he was gambling again and Britain he overshot his pit. Strategy wasn't great, but he would have come out in front of the Ferrari and brought his tyres in, instead of hitting a battle.
So these weren't key reasons for his final classification? It's no point that he came close to getting around Max on 2 occasions in Austria Throw the car alongside like that against Max and you know what will happen, do it 20 times and you should expect it. He was a desperate gambler again.

Silverstone was one of those things. His mistake put him in a position where he cooked his tyres. Strategy was the bigger problem, but to suggest Lando didn't screw up is somewhere between optimism and denial.
Impossible to argue with people like this, not worth it. When presented with facts, they dismiss it and call you a hater or a supporter of another driver. Which is ironic, because the only arguments they have to offer are completely biased towards their favorite driver with no real data to base it on.

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
Lucky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Lando lost the race in Britain because of the strategists, in Austria 1st or 2nd place because of Max, this is an obvious fact.

Lucky
Lucky

Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:30
mwillems wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Impossible to argue with people like this, not worth it. When presented with facts, they dismiss it and call you a hater or a supporter of another driver. Which is ironic, because the only arguments they have to offer are completely biased towards their favorite driver with no real data to base it on.
It's really impossible to argue with Oscar fanatics, everything that Oscar lost is not his fault, and Lando loses everything himself.
By belittling Norris, you belittle your idol even more.

Emag
Emag

Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:33
Emag wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It's really impossible to argue with Oscar fanatics, everything that Oscar lost is not his fault, and Lando loses everything himself.
My man, from where exactly did you get the impression that I am an Oscar fan? If you look into this thread, I have only criticized him for being slow when the team needed him to have more pace. Literally the first response I had to you was saying that I don't praise Oscar and I don't think he has been as impressive as people make him out to be.

Do you understand that using the response of "Ha, Oscar fan just belittling Lando for no reason" is doing to Lando exactly what you express with your last sentence?

The only things you have said thus far in defense of Lando are all completely biased and it shows you're a blind fan of the driver who refuses to view things in any way that would hurt the image of the perfect driver that Lando is in your eyes.

Lucky
Lucky

Mika Hakkinen believes it’s time for McLaren to throw its full weight behind Lando Norris in the push for the F1 Drivers’ World Championship.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mika-hakk ... l-decision

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Lando lost the race in Britain because of the strategists, in Austria 1st or 2nd place because of Max, this is an obvious fact.
Lando was screwed by strategy. He also was eaten up by Max because of his poor pit. More points were available and he fluffed it up. A six point swing with his championship rival.

-Bandit

mwillems

Emag wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Lucky wrote:

It's frustrating because despite knowledgeable input, he is also prone to trolling. Tractor remark anyone? He's on my ignore list, but it's always fun to watch people run out of reasoning and into childish retorts.

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:39
Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 16:33
Emag wrote:

My man, from where exactly did you get the impression that I am an Oscar fan? If you look into this thread, I have only criticized him for being slow when the team needed him to have more pace. Literally the first response I had to you was saying that I don't praise Oscar and I don't think he has been as impressive as people make him out to be.

Do you understand that using the response of "Ha, Oscar fan just belittling Lando for no reason" is doing to Lando exactly what you express with your last sentence?

The only things you have said thus far in defense of Lando are all completely biased and it shows you're a blind fan of the driver who refuses to view things in any way that would hurt the image of the perfect driver that Lando is in your eyes.
I want a title for a McLaren driver. You are not particularly, along with the mvillems, this is nonsense for a fan of the team.

Emag
Emag

Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 17:24
I want a title for a McLaren driver. You are not particularly, along with the mvillems, this is nonsense for a fan of the team.
I would enjoy that as well, but I cannot blindly support a driver when the fact of the matter is that he has dropped more points than one can afford in a title fight. Sure, the team has been a nightmare operationally, but the two are not mutually exclusive. Lando can have bad weekends and the team can call questionable strategy shots. It's the combination of the two that leaves Lando as far behind the wdc as he is at the moment.

When you look at the main rival, the only races he did not get the maximum out of his car were Hungary and to some extent, Austria. You need to be close to perfect when you're up against a consistent driver-team combination like that.

Lucky
Lucky

Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 17:36
Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 17:24
I would enjoy that as well, but I cannot blindly support a driver when the fact of the matter is that he has dropped more points than one can afford in a title fight. Sure, the team has been a nightmare operationally, but the two are not mutually exclusive. Lando can have bad weekends and the team can call questionable strategy shots. It's the combination of the two that leaves Lando as far behind the wdc as he is at the moment.

When you look at the main rival, the only races he did not get the maximum out of his car were Hungary and to some extent, Austria. You need to be close to perfect when you're up against a consistent driver-team combination like that.
Now there are still chances and it's stupid not to take advantage of it. The drivers who performed better in the season do not always win the title. And I would also love to see Max on another team where he won't be licked by everyone on the team. Believe me, this has a very strong effect on the rider's performance.

mwillems

But that has nothing to do with the criticism of Landos performances. Wanting him to win a title doesn't make poor results into good ones.

I'm not against him winning the title, he just won't be a champion worth remembering based on this year in my view, based on the year so far.

I am frustrated with Lando, and after the year so far I also think Oscar is the future so don't want him to have to sacrifice too much but I'll understand him offering some support.

My frustration is more about blind loyalties that prevent honest discussion. Some of the defences of Lando, which on a recent occasion turned into an attack on Oscar, are just plain denial.

If he can turn around and bang in the top performances race after race then it will be different.

Let's see what happens.

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

oh, I have to say I am a little disappointed in Mika.

Id also say, I don't think Oscar/Lando is the same as Mika/David.
For me, David was a #2 by talent delta, and he knew it.

Oscar I am still waiting to see, but signs are promising - I don't want him to have to curb his enthusiasm just to try to help lando win the wdc, which has a very big risk of instill the number 2 mentality in those around him if not himself. He isn't a #2

Jurgen von Diaz

geogate wrote:oh, I have to say I am a little disappointed in Mika.

Id also say, I don't think Oscar/Lando is the same as Mika/David.
For me, David was a #2 by talent delta, and he knew it.

Oscar I am still waiting to see, but signs are promising - I don't want him to have to curb his enthusiasm just to try to help lando win the wdc, which has a very big risk of instill the number 2 mentality in those around him if not himself. He isn't a #2
If your team gives you the green light for racing and Oscar had backed down in Monza, he would be one step closer to being Coulthard. Of course you go for the gap. It was an important overtake for Oscar's future, showing that he won't be the next Coulthard. Nothing is more disgusting to an F1 driver than a teammate winning the title.