2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Has the childish bickering stopped yet? Taken a break from our team thread has been rather refreshing.

Emag
Emag

I am working on a tool which (amongst other things) will show stint data for races (and practice sessions) to get a better read on long-run pace. It's still WIP but I have made a lot of progress and I feel like I will be done with the initial vision as soon as I find a half-decent library for graphs in AngularJS ( if anyone knows any, feel free to dm :lol: ).

Anyway, I am not sure what the policy for advertisement of personally-developed tools is on this forum so I will refrain on making posts that are blatant ads.

I did want to share this snippet from Monza though :

This was probably the first race in which Lando struggled against Oscar in pure pace as well as tire management. Saudi comes to mind as well, but it's tough to get a proper read there because of how the race unfolded.

But if you notice on the second stint Lando can't keep up with Oscar and can't keep going as long as Oscar neither. Oscar's laptimes show a decline 18 laps into the stint and it's obvious that he has taken a lot out of his tires by this point. The 23.6 which he can barely hold for the last two laps of the second stint is the pace which Leclerc held out for the remaining of the race. Worth nothing that Charles didn't push as hard as Oscar early on, which helped him extend as well.

But back to the Lando v Oscar topic, it's interesting how in the last stint, Lando is doing quite well, even though he got stuck behind Max for a while. When Lando asked why he was struggling in the second stint, the engineer suggested that it was because of the dirty air in the earlier laps, but this did not hurt him at all in the last stint.

Ferrari drivers for reference :

Super impressive by Leclerc.

Henri
Henri

https://x.com/FDataAnalysis/status/1832762998487744759? McLaren is on average 3 tenths slower than redbull bull in qualifying.

Henri
Henri

Emag wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 00:20
I am working on a tool which (amongst other things) will show stint data for races (and practice sessions) to get a better read on long-run pace. It's still WIP but I have made a lot of progress and I feel like I will be done with the initial vision as soon as I find a half-decent library for graphs in AngularJS ( if anyone knows any, feel free to dm :lol: ).

Anyway, I am not sure what the policy for advertisement of personally-developed tools is on this forum so I will refrain on making posts that are blatant ads.

https://i.imgur.com/GaBwh8h.png

This was probably the first race in which Lando struggled against Oscar in pure pace as well as tire management. Saudi comes to mind as well, but it's tough to get a proper read there because of how the race unfolded.

But if you notice on the second stint Lando can't keep up with Oscar and can't keep going as long as Oscar neither. Oscar's laptimes show a decline 18 laps into the stint and it's obvious that he has taken a lot out of his tires by this point. The 23.6 which he can barely hold for the last two laps of the second stint is the pace which Leclerc held out for the remaining of the race. Worth nothing that Charles didn't push as hard as Oscar early on, which helped him extend as well.

But back to the Lando v Oscar topic, it's interesting how in the last stint, Lando is doing quite well, even though he got stuck behind Max for a while. When Lando asked why he was struggling in the second stint, the engineer suggested that it was because of the dirty air in the earlier laps, but this did not hurt him at all in the last stint.

https://i.imgur.com/E362Pef.png

Will you make it piblic ?

mwillems

Emag wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/GaBwh8h.png

https://i.imgur.com/E362Pef.png

Thanks that's a really good post, you'll have to keep us up to date with the tool as it progresses.

You can see Lando and Oscar pushing each others lap times from around lap 24 on the second stint as they were racing each other and not the Ferraris. A key mistake in this GP, killing each others tyres and the team rather arrogantly discounting the threat from Ferrari. For Oscar you can see the struggle from 31 onwards to keep the car at the faster pace, but he keeps going anyway. At this point the tyres were likely very unhappy with their treatment as he'd tried to widen the gap to Lando in the face of Lando's "undercut", despite the fact that Lando wasn't really a threat.

Hopefully we will see the team and drivers with a healthy focus at Baku. It'd not a track we've done brilliantly at recently, but it looks like it could be an exciting weekend for all the top 4 teams.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SiLo

Emag wrote:
Trimmed
I think something like this exists already? But I never know where the tool is.

If you are continuing, having some way to colour code the delta between compared laps of drivers would be very helpful.
Felipe Baby!

Emag
Emag

SiLo wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 10:54
Emag wrote:
Trimmed

If you are continuing, having some way to colour code the delta between compared laps of drivers would be very helpful.
There are a lot of things out there, but I am trying to do some “jack of all trades” kind of thing, to get everything I like to analyse after a session in one place.

Ideas to improve will be welcome. Once I release it I will put a suggestion box.

SiLo

Emag wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 11:15
SiLo wrote:
Emag wrote:
Trimmed

There are a lot of things out there, but I am trying to do some “jack of all trades” kind of thing, to get everything I like to analyse after a session in one place.

Ideas to improve will be welcome. Once I release it I will put a suggestion box.
Just keeping it simple will go a long way to be honest. Some checkboxes for driver select and come colouring to differentiate times. What other things are you looking to implement?
Felipe Baby!

Emag
Emag

SiLo wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 12:08
Emag wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 11:15
SiLo wrote:

Just keeping it simple will go a long way to be honest. Some checkboxes for driver select and come colouring to differentiate times. What other things are you looking to implement?
Working on telemetry at the moment, but I can't seem to find a graph library that fits the needs of comparing laptimes & speeds. And unfortunately I don't really have the time to build one from the ground up.

But basically, what's left to do is that from the list of laps, you will be able to select up to *x of them and open up the telemetry tab, which will show a graph and a bar below where you can see which % of the lap was the fastest by who.

I already have a separate summary view for qualifying, showing the best laps of each selected driver as well as the minisectors for that lap (green, yellow or purple). Nothing I can do at the moment, but S3 is almost always bugged when it comes to minisectors, so hopefully that is something that is fixed in the future :

mwillems

SiLo wrote:
Emag wrote:
Trimmed

Yeah it's this, it shows you the delta between drivers on each lap but not the tyre compound.

Also a ton of other useful stuff.

https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2024/gp/s9273/lap_times
Last edited by mwillems on 11 Sep 2024, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Are you really using AngularJS? Not Angular proper?

If so, AngularJS is probably a bad choice as it is discontinued.

SiLo

mwillems wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 13:37
SiLo wrote:
Emag wrote:
Trimmed

Yeah it's this, it shows you the delta between drivers on each lap but not the tyre compound.

That's the one. It's very good.
Felipe Baby!

mwillems

SiLo wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 14:30
mwillems wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 13:37
SiLo wrote:

That's the one. It's very good.
Yeah. There's a few things missing like the track status per lap and the ability to drill into a lap etc but for me, it's great. amCharts looks great too.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 13:56
Are you really using AngularJS? Not Angular proper?

If so, AngularJS is probably a bad choice as it is discontinued.
Bad habits with the naming, stuck with the old, but I am using angular 17.

SilviuAgo

Although hard to believe at the start of the 2024 campaign, and also now, I hope this statement will be true :D

Very nice comparison between McLaren and Red Bull in multiple areas: infrastructure, staff, drivers, car, upgrades etc