2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 09:32
Ben1980 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 09:01
bluechris wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 08:47

Some people here we were stating the obvious but we were just Piastri haters... anyway.
It all got a bit silly. It was all pretty clear, it was a good move at the wrong time. And I think the team have seen it as putting himself above the team.

But, it was always going to be the catalyst for change, and it has been.
This is where it gets a little frustrating. Both the team as a whole and Zak have emphatically said the opposite of this, so this is kind of putting words in their mouth.

Everyone expected some orders before the previous race, now it has happened. Before the previous I was surprised they weren't told not to fight. But they clearly were a little arrogant towards the threat of Ferrari before and still during the race.
But when you read the article and quotes from Stella, it is all about the team coming first, and not being in that position again. It's pretty clear they don't think the team was put first. Not sure there is another way they can say it.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 09:45
mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

It all got a bit silly. It was all pretty clear, it was a good move at the wrong time. And I think the team have seen it as putting himself above the team.

This is where it gets a little frustrating. Both the team as a whole and Zak have emphatically said the opposite of this, so this is kind of putting words in their mouth.

Everyone expected some orders before the previous race, now it has happened. Before the previous I was surprised they weren't told not to fight. But they clearly were a little arrogant towards the threat of Ferrari before and still during the race.
But when you read the article and quotes from Stella, it is all about the team coming first, and not being in that position again. It's pretty clear they don't think the team was put first. Not sure there is another way they can say it.
Yes, but that doesn't mean he doesn't think Stella and co made a mistake with instructions to the drivers or how they were communicated. or if they simply made a bad decision about racing. That you ignored that is giving unintentional bias towards another outcome by yourself. I mean, he explicitly says...

""What we don't want to see anymore is a situation like in Monza in which we enter a chicane P1/P2 and we exit P1/P3, because that is a detriment to the team.

"The team interests come first and these are the situations that above all we need to fix because as a matter of fact, the way we entered the race in Monza left the door open for this situation."

And when Stella says the team coming first, I believe this also means Lando won't challenge Oscar if he is in the lead and there is a threat from a car behind. The team will be firmer with racing rules for both.

What I expect to happen is that the team will get both their cars to the line in the fastest way possible, no matter who is in the lead, and then if they have an opportunity and it is right, they will swap the drivers to help Lando, preferably through pits so it is less in the fans face than slowing on track.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 09:49
Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Yes, but that doesn't mean he doesn't think Stella and co made a mistake with instructions to the drivers or how they were communicated. That you ignored that is giving unintentional bias towards another outcome by yourself.

And when Stella says the team coming first, I believe this also means Lando won't challenge Oscar if he is in the lead and there is a threat from a car behind. The team will be firmer with racing rules for both.

What I expect to happen is that the team will get both their cars to the line in the fastest way possible, no matter who is in the lead, and then if they have an opportunity and it is right, they will swap the drivers to help Lando, preferably through pits so it is less in the fans face than slowing on track.
I do think the team want any squabbling between drivers, that can risk anything. Last year, they touched, and im sure Stella said something then. Don't think it matters who is is front. I don't think that's new, maybe it needed reiterating.

They have always been about racing but not risking anything as a team.

Which is why it would appear, from these comments the line was stepped in Monza, because they squabbles and lost a place and maybe ( maybe not) lost a win.

But I don't think it's new from Stella.

They need to get in a position to then do what's best for the team overall.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 09:58
mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

Yes, but that doesn't mean he doesn't think Stella and co made a mistake with instructions to the drivers or how they were communicated. That you ignored that is giving unintentional bias towards another outcome by yourself.

I do think the team want any squabbling between drivers, that can risk anything. Last year, they touched, and im sure Stella said something then. Don't think it matters who is is front. I don't think that's new, maybe it needed reiterating.

Which is why it would appear, from these comments the line was stepped in Monza, because they squabbles and lost a place and maybe ( maybe not) lost a win.

I think it's clear what the team want, that wasn't being questioned, it's just that one statement that ran counter to several that the team have made.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 10:25
Ben1980 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 09:58
mwillems wrote:

I think it's clear what the team want, that wasn't being questioned, it's just that one statement that ran counter to several that the team have made.
But that statement was more reading between the lines. I would not expect the team to come out and say it directly, I don't think they are that way inclined.

But, after the race Zak said he would rather they keep 1st and 2nd, and what else has been said, it indicates that they don't think that move was in the teams best interest.

Whether they needed to explicitly say don't go against the teams best interests is sonething. But, I would be surprised if that isn't said. Or maybe it was and they both took it in different ways, which was reported.

mwillems

Again, it's just that there are a few possible reasons and you are choosing to focus on one.

-Bandit

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
bluechris wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 08:47

Some people here we were stating the obvious but we were just Piastri haters... anyway.

This is where it gets a little frustrating. Both the team as a whole and Zak have emphatically said the opposite of this, so this is kind of putting opinion in their mouth, contrary to what has actually been said.

Much depends on Lando's interpretation of what the rules were. Did he think he was safe and not defend? If he thought his team mate would attack he would probably have driven a blocking line and been more concerned with defending than creating a gap or saving resource. We don't know how things would have played out without the rules set, he may have stayed infront and the problem never have occurred. The rules may have created a problem that was not there without them
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Waz
Waz

They should stick to their original guns and chase the constructors championship.

Lando is further away now than he was after Miami, and there's zero evidence in his career so far that he could actually pull it off.

Besides, their whole race operations right now are so weak. Communication from R.Es is weak and indecisive, the molly coddling of Lando is hilariously cringe and ineffective.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 12:06
mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

This is where it gets a little frustrating. Both the team as a whole and Zak have emphatically said the opposite of this, so this is kind of putting opinion in their mouth, contrary to what has actually been said.

Much depends on Lando's interpretation of what the rules were. Did he think he was safe and not defend? If he thought his team mate would attack he would probably have driven a blocking line and been more concerned with defending than creating a gap or saving resource. We don't know how things would have played out without the rules set, he may have stayed infront and the problem never have occurred. The rules may have created a problem that was not there without them
I figured it was more about what the team expected from that situation based on Papaya rules and their thoughts on how it was communicated.

Zak and Stella have certainly both said it wasn't ideal. But the team and Zak have also said all racing was fair and within the instructions given. With that in mind, it's a stretch to now suggest that Oscar broke the spirit of the rules, because nothing like that has been suggested or hinted at by the team. The only indication that this is a change of heart on racing rules, a clarification, Oscar doing something naughty or that they needed Oscar's agreement for some reason is that last week they said they are not biased towards Lando and this week they are.

So it seems less a breach of the spirit and more a realisation that they need to support Lando and possibly some other agreement from Oscar has now arrived.

-Bandit

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 12:31
Big Tea wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 12:06
mwillems wrote:

I figured it was more about what the team expected from that situation based on Papaya rules and their thoughts on how it was communicated.

Zak and Stella have certainly both said it wasn't ideal. But the team and Zak have also said all racing was fair and within the instructions given. With that in mind, it's a stretch to now suggest that Oscar broke the spirit of the rules, because nothing like that has been suggested or hinted at by the team. The only indication that this is a change of heart on racing rules, a clarification, Oscar doing something naughty or that they needed Oscar's agreement for some reason is that last week they said they are not biased towards Lando and this week they are.

So it seems less a breach of the spirit and more a realisation that they need to support Lando and possibly some other agreement from Oscar has now arrived.
That's what I mean. Interpretation may have been left to the drivers and both had differing concepts. I am not suggesting Oscar broke what he saw as the rules, but did Lando see the same bounds.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dren

It has been suggested that Oscar has contract language that doesn't allow him to play 2nd driver unless he approves it. Norris really needs to have better starts. Qualifying doesn't win you races.
Honda!

mwillems

dren wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 13:19
It has been suggested that Oscar has contract language that doesn't allow him to play 2nd driver unless he approves it. Norris really needs to have better starts. Qualifying doesn't win you races.
It may well be true, but everything I read seems more like gossip.

Naturally agree on the latter points.

-Bandit

stewie325
stewie325

Expect to see even more pit strategy calls that favour Norris. It's extremely easy in the current regs to swap drivers via an undercut without having to order someone aside.

bluechris

To me, just to be safe in the starting laps is enough.

Ben1980
Ben1980

dren wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 13:19
What's 2nd driver though. He has previously moved over for Lando, even in Silverstone Lando stopped first. It seems way to vague to say it's a thing.

I would also suggest that both drivers have clauses to do what's best for the team, and likely override any 2nd driver stuff.