2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

DDopey
DDopey

I think the results of Piastri and the hype gave Norris a kick in the but. And as a result upped his game, which is good to see.

_cerber1

They write that the hardest tires are useless here, the most correct strategy for the race remains M+M+S.

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 10:37
https://i.imgur.com/9AQXyfo.png
They write that the hardest tires are useless here, the most correct strategy for the race remains M+M+S.
Is this table correct as of after the sprint?
I only ask because 17 drivers should have a used set of softs that has done 25 or so laps
Just a fan's point of view

search

CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 10:42
_cerber1 wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 10:37
https://i.imgur.com/9AQXyfo.png
Is this table correct as of after the sprint?
I only ask because 17 drivers should have a used set of softs that has done 25 or so laps
The sprint tire goes back to Pirelli after the session, so it's up to date, yes.

CjC
CjC

Ok. Thank you

So everyone in the top 10 are in a good place with 2 new set of mediums apart from Mercedes and Norris… least Norris’ other set has only had 2 laps on it and hopefully one of those laps was an aborted push lap?

mwillems

CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 10:52
Ok. Thank you

So everyone in the top 10 are in a good place with 2 new set of mediums apart from Mercedes and Norris… least Norris’ other set has only had 2 laps on it and hopefully one of those laps was an aborted push lap?

Bear in mind that for the past two races the used mediums have given excellent wear and pace, so lacking 2 sets of new mediums may not be an issue. At least Lando has a new soft to start the race with.

-Bandit

mwillems

Optimum strategy is S-M-S

-Bandit

mwillems

-Bandit

mwillems

Red Bull think our wing is too small for this race. I suppose we could develop a high downforce wing with the cutouts etc but it's just a waste of money this season so better to run the Med-High wing in full AoA.

Does this suggest we might struggle with our tires? I didn't watch the sprint yesterday, did we drop off more than others around us?

Last edited by mwillems on 05 Nov 2023, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

eurwynf1
eurwynf1

Should benefit Lando when he's making his way back to 2nd

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:20
Red Bull think our wing is too small for this race. I suppose we could develop a high downforce wing with the cutouts etc but it's just a waste of money this season so better to run the Med-High wing in full AoA.

Does this suggest we might struggle with our tires? I didn't watch the sprint yesterday, did we drop off more than others around us?

In the sprint Verstappen only had better deg.
Perez…. Well he reckoned he had to use more of his tyre up overtaking cars so in clean air he too may have had better deg than Lando.
Thats useful info from Perez really to temper our own expectations of Lando. Starting p6 means he’s going to have to use his tyres up to overtake cars ahead- if he can that is.
However it’s supposedly cooler today

mwillems

This is the AMuS article, my chrome is set to automatically translate.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ng-reifen/

-Bandit

Seerix
Seerix

CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:46
Perez…. Well he reckoned he had to use more of his tyre up overtaking cars so in clean air he too may have had better deg than Lando.
Thats useful info from Perez really to temper our own expectations of Lando. Starting p6 means he’s going to have to use his tyres up to overtake cars ahead- if he can that is.
Right, but Lando also had to overtake Russell and he was ~1.5s behind Max for most of the sprint. I think PER just had worse deg than Lando overall.
Like you mentioned, colder temps today could shuffle it today though.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:46
mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:20

Interesting. It explains why Mercedes are using the same wing here as at Monaco, Mexico and Austin (But not Singapore). Maybe we get more DF from our floor than anyone except RB so perhaps it isn't needed in relation to those behind. I don't think there's any doubt that we need more from the car to beat Red Bull.

Still, it is interesting to hear Red Bull question our setup.

-Bandit