Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

Forghieri wrote:
Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Not if the downforce all goes on one axle, or is extremely pitch/roll/heave/throttle-sensitive, needing a specific line/technique/style to maximise the car.
That would never happen..
you can have a slight imbalanca but not 0-100% front/rear..
If you have lots of rear downforce you simply turn up the front wing. If it´s vice versa you are forced to take out front wing.

All downforce won´t go on one axle.
That's not so simple Nando, more down force at the front means over steer, more at the back means under steer.
Because of an to aggressive DRS system the diffuser stalled during braking when approaching the corner, resulting in loss of down force and an unstable rear, so Ferrari put less down force at the front, more at the rear, resulting in a F2012 with lots of under steer.

So i would gladly sacrifice some straight line speed, if they can get the rear wing and diffuser spot on this time, there's more time to be lost in corners, then there is to be won on a long straight.
Not only that but there are knock on effects as well so sometimes adding more downforce at the front(if you do it right) adds downforce at the rear, and sometimes adding more at the rear will also help generate more at the front, because the car works as a system. If your diffuser is extracting more air, it will also have a knock on effect on the front wing because there will be a net pressure loss on the whole underside of the car. Remember the front wing works on the same principle as the rear stuff. Sometimes a very efficient rear end can give you oversteer, particularly on corner exit.
Saishū kōnā

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

According to Omnicorse the new Ferrari F2013(?) has passed early crash tests and is fine to test in Jerez.

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/24043/ ... t-di-jerez

heho07
heho07

How DRS can stall diffuser?

beelsebob
beelsebob

heho07 wrote:How DRS can stall diffuser?
The rear wing normally throws air almost straight up behind it. DRS in large part stops that, instead having it come out behind the car almost level. The diffuser meanwhile has a similar effect. If the air flowing upwards out of the diffuser hits a flow of air pushing it straight backwards instead of upwards, this raises the pressure of the air behind the diffuser. This reduces the suction effect out of the back of the diffuser, and could potentially detach the airflow from the roof of the diffuser, hence stalling it out.

Forghieri

heho07 wrote:How DRS can stall diffuser?
Ok, maybe not the best choice of words, Gary Anderson explains it best.

"In qualifying, the DRS overtaking aid can be used all the time. A driver comes off a corner and opens the DRS as soon as possible, reducing the drag and the wing wake, which gives extra straight-line speed.
As the car goes faster, the rear gets closer to the ground and that 'stalls' the diffuser, which is the underfloor which curves upwards at the back of the car. 'Stalling' means the airflow is not attached to it any more, and that reduces the downforce it produces.

When the driver brakes for the next corner, the car changes attitude - the rear comes up.
I am 99.99% sure that at that time, on the Ferrari, the diffuser does not re-attach immediately.
Because of that, the airflow at the back of the car is different, so the rear wing does not re-attach either.

So on initial corner entry, 18 or 20 times a lap in qualifying or whatever, the rear of the car has less downforce and therefore is unstable for a given amount of time until the diffuser and rear wing re-attach.
This rear instability on corner entry is what the Ferrari drivers are complaining about"
Do you feel you can beat the Red Bulls, either to pole position or the race itself?
Fernando Alonso: "I prefer to beat them on Sunday."

Cuky

good thought from mr. Anderson in my opinion. It could be the same reason why they have added so much elements on their FW, as all those slots allow for air to pass and keep the flow over FW attached to it at such high angles and speeds. Only bad thing is that you can't have slots in diffuser :D

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

I've wondered this regarding Ferrari's DRS stalling issue. Is there any chance you could flex the diffuser up and down to keep it attached?

wesley123
wesley123

You wont flex the diffuser up, since under speed it will get sucked down towards the ground.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob
beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:You wont flex the diffuser up, since under speed it will get sucked down towards the ground.
Ofc, to stop it stalling, you'd want it's tail to flex down. Of course, that would be highly illegal, and a feature not on the F2013.

wesley123
wesley123

beelsebob wrote:
wesley123 wrote:You wont flex the diffuser up, since under speed it will get sucked down towards the ground.
Ofc, to stop it stalling, you'd want it's tail to flex down. Of course, that would be highly illegal, and a feature not on the F2013.
And that only happens with DRS activated, and how many times will that happen next year?

Flexing the floor wont help a thing next year(without taking legality in mind), you better just lower the rear ride height, which does exactly the same AND reduces CoG on the rear,

Hail22

I just randomly stumbled upon this...could this form of technology be used for the F2013(?)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJybR-uWTUc[/youtube]

Created by DiegoCanoZuriguel

Demonstration of the unit (in theory) near the end of the video.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Steven
Owner

The above Multi Motion Duct was discussed in another topic, started by the author of the system itself
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =6&t=13979

Hail22

Tomba wrote:The above Multi Motion Duct was discussed in another topic, started by the author of the system itself
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =6&t=13979
Ah! I didn't even take the time to find that, Sorry!

>.<
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

In regards to the flexi diffuser idea. We saw a lot of gurney flaps on top of gurney flaps. I was thinking of a flexi flap that eventually gave way hence the diffuser stays up at max V. Gives optimum df under slow speed corners but sheds drag in the straights. I would like to think it happens already but FOM tv feed doesn't pick it up like your red bull nose practically flopping around.

wesley123
wesley123

Diffusers dont generate that much drag, they are rather efficient downforce generators, so there is more to be lost than to be gained imo