2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Dee
Dee

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

bonjon1979 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 00:15
Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 23:22
It is not a new reg, it has been in existence for a considerable time.
It is not as petty as it first seems either. It can catch when a driver is being extracted, it can puncture fireproof clothing, it can be impacted into the body, and it can burn the driver if heated through fireproof cloths.

Not sure when it came out, but I am sure it must be 10 years or more.
I wondered if it was something to do with mick Schumacher and his accident. Doesn’t he wear a necklace?
If he does, maybe it got in the way of the headbrace?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Dee wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 00:30
bonjon1979 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 00:15
Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 23:22
It is not a new reg, it has been in existence for a considerable time.
It is not as petty as it first seems either. It can catch when a driver is being extracted, it can puncture fireproof clothing, it can be impacted into the body, and it can burn the driver if heated through fireproof cloths.

Not sure when it came out, but I am sure it must be 10 years or more.
I wondered if it was something to do with mick Schumacher and his accident. Doesn’t he wear a necklace?
If he does, maybe it got in the way of the headbrace?
They don't strip them to put the brace on, it goes on over the overalls.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Leclerc wears at least two rings under his gloves. It's definitely for safety reason why these rules are enforced (again). Grosjeans burnt hands probably gave some trouble if he had rings to remove.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 23:03
Zynerji wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 19:48
Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 19:43

It doesn't present a burn risk at all. In order for it to burn it will have to be heated up. It's under the clothing so in order for it to get hot enough to burn, the rest of the body will also be as hot i.e. most likely dead.

I dunno...

I know that these cars generate huge magnetic fields with their MGU's. A bit of inductive heating of various metals may not be crazy far from reality.

I just view any bits of metal on a driver as unsecured projectiles in the event of an accident.
After how many years of these cars presenting this risk?

Nah, it feels to me like someone in the hierarchy has decided to do it for their own reasons. Either it's a RD that doesn't like male jewellery or someone above him who doesn't.
So, you feel that is a personal attack to enforce a current rule? 🤔
Last edited by Stu on 08 Apr 2022, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing volatile content

silver
silver

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 23:03
Zynerji wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 19:48
Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 19:43

It doesn't present a burn risk at all. In order for it to burn it will have to be heated up. It's under the clothing so in order for it to get hot enough to burn, the rest of the body will also be as hot i.e. most likely dead.

I dunno...

I know that these cars generate huge magnetic fields with their MGU's. A bit of inductive heating of various metals may not be crazy far from reality.

I just view any bits of metal on a driver as unsecured projectiles in the event of an accident.
After how many years of these cars presenting this risk?

Nah, it feels to me like someone in the hierarchy has decided to do it for their own reasons. Either it's a RD that doesn't like male jewellery or someone above him who doesn't.
What a rubbish post. Stereotyping at it's best. How are posts like this allowed that demonstrate such ill and discriminatory behavior.
This must have something to do with Mick's crash. Why is it such a difficult thing to understand. Anything that can come in the way of a driver's safety should be a matter of concern. FIA keeps learning and improving the safety measures.
Last edited by Stu on 08 Apr 2022, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing volatile content

organic

Schippke
Schippke

At first glance with the track changes, I think Red Bull might hold a bit of a straight-line advantage here if the first 2 races were anything to go by. First sector has a bit of a balance of straights and the slow/medium speed bends which might suit the Ferrari a tad more, but essentially the whole of S2 is a full-throttle straight, with the high-speed chicane and... more straight. In saying that, there are reports the track has been completely resurfaced so tyre wear and track evolution might play a big roll here too... might favour Ferrari tyre wear wise, though in Saudi it didn't seem to be that much of a difference between the big 2.

Behind, we could see a surprise with Alfa Romeo and Haas; Despite the added drag (it would seem) from the Ferrari, the Alfa Romeo and the Haas are very quick on the straights. Also Haas when they had a competitive car in Australia in the past, have gone quite strongly here... though it is a bit of a reset with the track changes, lets be honest...

I wonder if Mercedes will be the 3rd force again this weekend, or will the purposing present itself more so on a track with a lot more straights than previous... might mean they'll have to sacrifice some pace in the bends, but even then in Saudi, George had a relatively quiet race to 5th, despite the corners and straights that produced.

Should be an interesting weekend overall... hoping the track changes will bring upon better racing (combined with new cars too), though I think the 4 DRS zones is a bit of overkill! Hope to be proven wrong though!

dialtone
dialtone

Schippke wrote:At first glance with the track changes, I think Red Bull might hold a bit of a straight-line advantage here if the first 2 races were anything to go by. First sector has a bit of a balance of straights and the slow/medium speed bends which might suit the Ferrari a tad more, but essentially the whole of S2 is a full-throttle straight, with the high-speed chicane and... more straight. In saying that, there are reports the track has been completely resurfaced so tyre wear and track evolution might play a big roll here too... might favour Ferrari tyre wear wise, though in Saudi it didn't seem to be that much of a difference between the big 2.

Behind, we could see a surprise with Alfa Romeo and Haas; Despite the added drag (it would seem) from the Ferrari, the Alfa Romeo and the Haas are very quick on the straights. Also Haas when they had a competitive car in Australia in the past, have gone quite strongly here... though it is a bit of a reset with the track changes, lets be honest...

I wonder if Mercedes will be the 3rd force again this weekend, or will the purposing present itself more so on a track with a lot more straights than previous... might mean they'll have to sacrifice some pace in the bends, but even then in Saudi, George had a relatively quiet race to 5th, despite the corners and straights that produced.

Should be an interesting weekend overall... hoping the track changes will bring upon better racing (combined with new cars too), though I think the 4 DRS zones is a bit of overkill! Hope to be proven wrong though!
Difference with Jeddah for Merc is that this track needs a bit more downforce which will cause more porpoising unless they stiffen their suspension further which could lead to worse tyre wear and cornering.

sunny1304r
sunny1304r

Ferrari looks very strong at the final sector.

dialtone
dialtone

sunny1304r wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 05:46
Ferrari looks very strong at the final sector.
Everyone seems so slow really... They are all lapping full of fuel.

organic

RB are very quick in the speedtraps again. Seems that they're keen to run low downforce setups every race

dialtone
dialtone

Eventful practice with 2 red flags, getting hard tyre up to temp seems to be an issue, one Merc PU burned by VET, McLaren back in the top 10 and generally all Merc teams up there. Haas with their engine tuned all the way down probably to avoid any possible mistake that crashes the cars.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

organic wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 05:50
RB are very quick in the speedtraps again. Seems that they're keen to run low downforce setups every race

But they're losing out to Ferrari in the tighter sections. Actually even Hamilton went faster than both Redbulls in the third sector. I don't think the RB overall downforce is all that great.

langedweil

Hmm .. I wonder if they'll make it to the 1:15s, that's 4secs to be found.
HuggaWugga !

dialtone
dialtone

Well, Ferrari has taken this FP1 at a very leisurely pace in the straights, and it is an absolute monster in T6, T9 and T12.

EDIT: I suggest copying the URL of the image and opening in a new tab as you can get a much bigger size that way.
EDIT2: To be clear on the straights pace, I think Ferrari is running with some aggressive SOC setting because it's clipping quite hard in the 2nd straight and the one to T6 as well as the one to T12.
EDIT3: I also just noticed that Ferrari takes T5 full throttle while the other 2 don't.