2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

Zynerji wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 17:13
Jewelry = weight.

I cant believe that the teams even allow small bits of metal to be in the car at operating speed anyway!
I remember Brundle jokingly asking Button if the team minded him having a beard as it was added weight in the car. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Baulz
Baulz

NicoS wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 09:48
Rear wings ready for Friday practice!
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 59/photo/1
Will teams make wing settings based on whether or not they expect to be in traffic most of the race? With 4 DRS zones the high DF wing get have more benefit. Ferrari planning to be in front and will not get to use DRS other than lapping slower cars.

chrisc90

I think the jewellery is a valid point.

Stu

A burn risk, even under fire-proof clothing.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Dee
Dee

chrisc90 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 18:32
The only thing valid about it is that it has been in the regulations forever

As for implementing it now, I don't think there is any use for it

It only mentions piercings and kneck chains, it should be the whole lot if it was fair

Zynerji

Dee wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 19:16
chrisc90 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 18:32
The only thing valid about it is that it has been in the regulations forever

As for implementing it now, I don't think there is any use for it

It only mentions piercings and kneck chains, it should be the whole lot if it was fair
Drivers should be clean... "Like a shaved monkey ready to be shot into space." - Tyler Durden :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 19:10
It doesn't present a burn risk at all. In order for it to burn it will have to be heated up. It's under the clothing so in order for it to get hot enough to burn, the rest of the body will also be as hot i.e. most likely dead.

….
Last edited by Stu on 08 Apr 2022, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Volatile content removed

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 19:43
Stu wrote:
It doesn't present a burn risk at all. In order for it to burn it will have to be heated up. It's under the clothing so in order for it to get hot enough to burn, the rest of the body will also be as hot i.e. most likely dead.

I dunno...

I know that these cars generate huge magnetic fields with their MGU's. A bit of inductive heating of various metals may not be crazy far from reality.

I just view any bits of metal on a driver as unsecured projectiles in the event of an accident.
Last edited by Stu on 08 Apr 2022, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone
dialtone

Just_a_fan wrote:
Stu wrote:

There are so many sports in which jewelry isn't allowed for a variety of reasons, and either needs to be taped over or just removed, including stuff like soccer where earrings of any kind just aren't allowed, rings are either taped over or removed (including wedding bands), necklaces aren't allowed either and so on.

It has nothing to do with religion or politics and only to do with potential safety risks, for example they could get caught into something ripping off your finger, or come in the way of paramedics having to work on your body and being unable to do something quickly because it's caught in your jewelry.

I'm very surprised it was even allowed until now, I thought nobody would drive with that stuff on already.
Last edited by Stu on 08 Apr 2022, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

Dee
Dee

Just_a_fan wrote:
Stu wrote:

I think you are being a bit discrim against the new head of the FIA just because of the country he is from. Has he done nothing since he started but enact written rules. Basically, doing what we all wanted the FIA to do since the debacle last year. The jewelery thing is not new, it just wasn't enforced and its not Ben thats implementing it but the race director.
Last edited by Stu on 08 Apr 2022, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 19:48
Just_a_fan wrote:
Stu wrote:

I dunno...

I know that these cars generate huge magnetic fields with their MGU's. A bit of inductive heating of various metals may not be crazy far from reality.

I just view any bits of metal on a driver as unsecured projectiles in the event of an accident.
After how many years of these cars presenting this risk?

Nah, it feels to me like someone in the hierarchy has decided to do it for their own reasons. Either it's a RD that doesn't like male jewellery or someone above him who doesn't.
Last edited by Stu on 08 Apr 2022, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Dee wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 20:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
Stu wrote:

I think you are being a bit discrim against the new head of the FIA just because of the country he is from. Has he done nothing since he started but enact written rules. Basically, doing what we all wanted the FIA to do since the debacle last year. The jewelery thing is not new, it just wasn't enforced and its not Ben thats implementing it but the race director.
But why have they suddenly decided to enforce it now? That's the question. Has something happened that reminded them that it's a problem? Not so far as anyone has seen or they'd have presented it as evidence. It feels like someone in authority doing it because they can.

As for being discriminatory, not at all. It's a fact that the President comes from a country where there are very different views on many things that, to a European for example, would seem to be commonplace. And some parts of UAE are much stricter than others.
Last edited by Stu on 08 Apr 2022, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

It is not a new reg, it has been in existence for a considerable time.
It is not as petty as it first seems either. It can catch when a driver is being extracted, it can puncture fireproof clothing, it can be impacted into the body, and it can burn the driver if heated through fireproof cloths.

Not sure when it came out, but I am sure it must be 10 years or more.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Is this really the topic that needs to be discussed over multiple pages? I'm with Dee on this one. It's in the rules, everyone has been reminded it is there and off we go. We wanted clear rules that are being followed, this is what the RD is doing. How he found out it is in the rules but not enacted? No idea, ask him.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 23:22
It is not a new reg, it has been in existence for a considerable time.
It is not as petty as it first seems either. It can catch when a driver is being extracted, it can puncture fireproof clothing, it can be impacted into the body, and it can burn the driver if heated through fireproof cloths.

Not sure when it came out, but I am sure it must be 10 years or more.
I wondered if it was something to do with mick Schumacher and his accident. Doesn’t he wear a necklace?