2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 20:17
organic wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 20:04
AR3-GP wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 19:58
I know that there was no foul play involved, but you have to admit there's some crude irony in Lance having an accident in Spain, which would allow the spaniard to have all 3 days of testing to himself :lol: :wink:
Alonso was out driving his new car when suddenly stroll pulls out in front of him on a training ride

What a shame for lance
But on the other hand, what an opportunity for Alonso! To have more practice time than anyone else and plant that AMR23 in the top 4 on Saturday :o
Truly unprecedented :o

diffuser

Cs98 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 20:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 17:51
delsando53 wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 11:16

Do customer teams have to ability to be assured what horsepower they are garunteed they're getting with their own inhouse dyno or independant testing?
They will know what they are given. But they might not know what the works team has.

The FIA however has set rules to ensure the engines are identical in their abilities. The fine turning of troque per track is up to the engine support team and the customer though. That is greatly dependent on the chassis.
I do believe the modes are now fixed, so everyone should be getting the same tuning for the engine. I hope that's the case at least, the customer teams have it bad enough already.
How does the FIA make sure the power units are legal?

To minimise the chances of cheating, electrical DC sensors from the FIA’s designated suppliers are attached to different parts of the ERS and there is a torque sensor fitted to the MGU-K.

All cars run the same high-pressure fuel pump, manufactured by a single supplier appointed by the FIA World Motor Sport Council, and two fuel flow metres are positioned in the fuel tank to monitor flow rates.

To keep check on the petrol engine operation, the power output shaft and each driveshaft are fitted with a certified torque measurement system, and pressure and temperature sensors are fitted for the fuel injectors.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/insi ... s/7221310/

Cs98
Cs98

diffuser wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 20:22
Cs98 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 20:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 17:51

They will know what they are given. But they might not know what the works team has.

The FIA however has set rules to ensure the engines are identical in their abilities. The fine turning of troque per track is up to the engine support team and the customer though. That is greatly dependent on the chassis.
I do believe the modes are now fixed, so everyone should be getting the same tuning for the engine. I hope that's the case at least, the customer teams have it bad enough already.
How does the FIA make sure the power units are legal?

To minimise the chances of cheating, electrical DC sensors from the FIA’s designated suppliers are attached to different parts of the ERS and there is a torque sensor fitted to the MGU-K.

All cars run the same high-pressure fuel pump, manufactured by a single supplier appointed by the FIA World Motor Sport Council, and two fuel flow metres are positioned in the fuel tank to monitor flow rates.

To keep check on the petrol engine operation, the power output shaft and each driveshaft are fitted with a certified torque measurement system, and pressure and temperature sensors are fitted for the fuel injectors.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/insi ... s/7221310/
Good.

JordanMugen

NAPI10 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 19:21
Stoffel has both F1 & FE experience..should get a nod ahead of Filipe.
AR3-GP wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 19:48
I cannot see how if Stroll is not fit come Thursday, that he would be fit in 7 days time. Another driver could stand to make a grand impression....

Mick Schumacher perhaps?
What are these theories?! Drugovich is the reserve driver. There is no reason for Drugovich not to drive!

If Vandoorne or Schumacher are immediately going to be called up instead, what's the point of having a reserve driver. Especially where that reserve driver is a F2 champion from the important Brazillian market.

It's not like the reserve driver is some no-hoper, it's a driver who many were calling to be promoted to Formula 1 for the 2023 season.

914hald

Vettel alongside Alonso would be epic start of season :D =D>

Henk_v
Henk_v

Filipe has a big, but dangerous opportunity. If he proves to be faster than Stroll, how would daddy cope?

Stroll is in the team because daddy buys him the toys, but the narratieve is that there is talent too that warrants daddies investment. If the latter narative gets spoiled, Stroll needs to confront being either a real paydriver with obsolete talent or an exit.

mvfad

I think it's more likely that Alonso will do the 3 test days alone. But Aston Martin could give Drugovich at least half a day of testing. He deserves a chance.

KimiRai
KimiRai

While I understand that they'll likely call up Drugovich if they think Stroll will miss the Bahrain GP, Alonso desperately needs the laps as well (he has recently criticized the lack of testing in modern F1) and any feedback of his will prove more valuable than Drugovich's. They should give Alonso a bigger share of the "testing pie" IMO.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Alonso was just talking about how the lack of pre-season meant he might not be fully bedded in until Australia. This development certainly changes things....

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 21:51
Alonso was just talking about how the lack of pre-season meant he might not be fully bedded in until Australia. This development certainly changes things....
Someone here before mentioned giving the reserve driver a morning session and Alonso doing the rest. I believe that's the best choice. I'll find it weird if they decide to give both an equal share, Fernando's time is much more valuable for the team in multiple ways.

diffuser

mvfad wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 21:40
I think it's more likely that Alonso will do the 3 test days alone. But Aston Martin could give Drugovich at least half a day of testing. He deserves a chance.
I think an extra day in the car at this time of year is better for Alonso to come to grips with the car quicker and better, from the team's perspective, for the value of the feed back they'll get from Alonso. Putting in a driver that will likely not drive the car again isn't helpful for AMR. Especially with only 3 days of testing. If they could run a second car for the test, that would be ok but they can't. It's just the one car and that time is sooooo precious!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 21:55
AR3-GP wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 21:51
Someone here before mentioned giving the reserve driver a morning session and Alonso doing the rest. I believe that's the best choice. I'll find it weird if they decide to give both an equal share, Fernando's time is much more valuable for the team in multiple ways.
I agree. However I think it makes sense like this

Day 1: Alo/Alo
Day 2: Alo/Third Driver -> (Alonso rest) :lol:
Day 3: Alo/Alo.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Shame for Lance but from his point of view at least it looks like worst case scenario missing one race.

Yeah completely agree- Alonso has the best part of two decades of F1 and given the major changes for their 2023 car Aston would be wise to lean on all of that experience and feedback across the limited 3 days of testing in order to get the maximum amount of valuable feedback.

There’s a real premium on testing time for the team so you have to ensure you get the most reliable feedback, and no one is a better fit than Alonso for that.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I've gather raw race data to compare AM and Alpine development throughout the season. Interesting
(Late SC are not take into accourt, I took the gap just before, changing condition qualy ae not take into account)

PlatinumZealot

Pretty sure Alpine stopped developing quite early out. Just minor tweaks here and there. It was McLaren that kept bringing the parts.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028