[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
G-raph

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
03 May 2023, 17:42
All parts should be designed in the construction COOS as always. You later adjust rake and ride height in the CFD setup.
However, I now realize that we have a small problem. The additional suspension parts will get morphed although they should not. I think for now, the only soltion is to add them to the suspension part and keep its name. I will think about an update to MFlow to address this. Bassically we will need two new folders for this, one for frt and one for rr supsension.
Thank you for the answer! I agree a specific folder for these parts sounds like a good idea.

LVDH

Yes, I need to find a solution to this. Maybe instead of a special folder, we could also just use a "non_moving_" prefix to these parts. I realized that they might also cause the issue of the wrong ride height warnings, as they are below the plank? In any case I should and will try to supply an update tomorrow evening.

LVDH

Ok, I have uploaded an improved version of MFlow.
Now, you have two additional folders: frt_suspension and rr_suspension. I guess they are somewhat self-explanatory. You put the front and rear suspension in there. But also the small parts that you might have designed for the new volumes we have in proximity of the wheels. When using rake and ride height adjustments they will get slightly morphed at this point. After seeing your designs after race 1, I will decide how to improve this.
I also noticed that a lot of the post-processing was a bit messed up when using the new parameters. Most of this is fixed now. You will notice on images that show geometry and some VTK surface like streamlines or ptot=0 iso-surface that they are not aligned with the geometry. I am too tired to fix this now but it is more a cosmetic issue.

The two new folders mean we need modified rules. I will probably do that tomorrow morning.

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

LVDH wrote:
05 May 2023, 19:42
Ok, I have uploaded an improved version of MFlow.
Now, you have two additional folders: frt_suspension and rr_suspension. I guess they are somewhat self-explanatory. You put the front and rear suspension in there. But also the small parts that you might have designed for the new volumes we have in proximity of the wheels. When using rake and ride height adjustments they will get slightly morphed at this point. After seeing your designs after race 1, I will decide how to improve this.
I also noticed that a lot of the post-processing was a bit messed up when using the new parameters. Most of this is fixed now. You will notice on images that show geometry and some VTK surface like streamlines or ptot=0 iso-surface that they are not aligned with the geometry. I am too tired to fix this now but it is more a cosmetic issue.

The two new folders mean we need modified rules. I will probably do that tomorrow morning.
Legend =D>

G-raph

Thank you! That new version works great and keeps the brake duct parts in their correct position.

One minor issue I have noticed though : the forces on the suspension (and brake ducts) parts are no longer reported.

Also, it now means that the suspension has refined mesh on it. Not an issue obviously but worth making sure you are aware of that.

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

G-raph wrote:
07 May 2023, 19:57
Thank you! That new version works great and keeps the brake duct parts in their correct position.

One minor issue I have noticed though : the forces on the suspension (and brake ducts) parts are no longer reported.

Also, it now means that the suspension has refined mesh on it. Not an issue obviously but worth making sure you are aware of that.
Suspension having refined mesh is the best news so far :D Suspensions are essential for the aero performance

LVDH

beschadigunc wrote:
07 May 2023, 20:48
Suspension having refined mesh is the best news so far :D Suspensions are essential for the aero performance
Yes, this is intentional.
G-raph wrote:
That is strange, I made sure they are part of the force calculations. Please, make your case available to me, so I can check why this does not work for you.

LVDH

You can now also find a new rule 9.8. Nothing big, just about the new suspension folders.

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
08 May 2023, 08:18
beschadigunc wrote:
07 May 2023, 20:48
Yes, this is intentional.
G-raph wrote:
That is strange, I made sure they are part of the force calculations. Please, make your case available to me, so I can check why this does not work for you.
I noticed the same thing. I think they may be in the overall calculations, but not listed in the report?
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

yinlad wrote:
08 May 2023, 11:52
I noticed the same thing. I think they may be in the overall calculations, but not listed in the report?
That is indeed more or less what happened. Actually only parts in the vehicle_body and the high_res folders would get listed, which is / was intentional. I did forget to include the suspension parts to the remaining position in the force table, though.
I have for now modified MFlow to list these parts as well, it is available for download.
Anyone affected by this, can check for themselves that the parts were included in the total force calculations, by checking the system/forceCoeffs file.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Are we allowed any concavity in the cross section of a floor fence when intersected with an X Plane

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
09 May 2023, 18:44
Are we allowed any concavity in the cross section of a floor fence when intersected with an X Plane
It has to be a extrusion on Z axis so no

LVDH

In about an hour, emails, announcing the first race of MVRC 2023 will go out!

Keep in mind, these emails are very important as they detail what rules will be used for the race, what the deadline is and also provide a link to submit your car.

The thing about this is, you are responsible to receive this link! If you do not get the mail, please get in touch, so we can fix the situation.

On another note: I am working on automatic rendering of your cars, using Blender. If there is anybody who can help in any way, or has cool materials, for example carbon fiber or rubber, please get in touch.

variante

How's development going? Any weird design to hint ahead of cars presentations?
Is anyone going for Ferrari-style sidepods?

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

variante wrote:
14 May 2023, 10:39
How's development going? Any weird design to hint ahead of cars presentations?
Is anyone going for Ferrari-style sidepods?
I was super busy with work sadly. Yesterday just did my first ever simulation of 2023 car pretty meh result with -3.3 cl and poor cooling . A lot to fix in 1 week :R