2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I think the winter break will serve Lando well. He doesn't have big driving issues to fix like some other drivers, perhaps just a case of resetting the mentality and getting into a better headspace come Bahrain 24. This is only with qualifying, I have no qualms about his race performances currently. If he gets on top of these issues I don't see many chinks in his armour. Tbh I'd much rather him making mistakes like this than genuinely just struggling for pace in qualifying, which I haven't seen him do in forever.

mwillems

avantman wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 20:11
I've noticed this shortcoming of Lando a few years back. He's been making big or small mistake in Q3 when it matters the most quite often in the past, and I don't see any real improvement in that regard. Tomorrow the team have another big problem. They have much slower driver (at least 0.5s a lap slower in race trim) in front of the faster driver. Could cost them P2 at the end easily, which is the least this car deserves on merit.
Max had also made a lot of mistakes from being greedy and hot headed. It is worth making this parallel. Whilst the pressure they are under is different for each which Max being a racing animal who comes out fighting if things didn't go his way, Lando being more introspective - the journey looks to be similar. Lando needs a few breaks to get a win or two and some more poles to get used to being a constantly at the front, and we hope, this should be enough for him to acclimatise to being a challenger and to convert more points.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

Lando is barely 24y old. This is the first 6 months (not even a year) that he has had a competitive car. He has not been known for making mistakes (his number of crashes is insanely low).

It has been a very long season. Tomorrow he will be competitive, and next season he will come back ready for his breakout season.

avantman
avantman

mwillems wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 20:28
avantman wrote:
I've noticed this shortcoming of Lando a few years back. He's been making big or small mistake in Q3 when it matters the most quite often in the past, and I don't see any real improvement in that regard. Tomorrow the team have another big problem. They have much slower driver (at least 0.5s a lap slower in race trim) in front of the faster driver. Could cost them P2 at the end easily, which is the least this car deserves on merit.
Max had also made a lot of mistakes from being greedy and hot headed. It is worth making this parallel. Whilst the pressure they are under is different for each which Max being a racing animal who comes out fighting if things didn't go his way, Lando being more introspective - the journey looks to be similar. Lando needs a few breaks to get a win or two and some more poles to get used to being a lead driver and that, we hope. should be enough for him to acclimatise to being a challenger and to convert more points.
Not sure what are you talking about. Verstappen has been the most precise and consistent in qualifying since the 2nd half of 2018 season, five and a half past years already. This is not my impression, this is just raw statistics and it's jsut about time to end all those BS talks about the car designed to suit him and him only, exclusively.
He's made some mistakes in qualifying in the beginning of 2022, when the car had obvious fault(significant understeer trait), but he doesn't make any significant and costly mistakes when he likes the car. Lando literally said again the car felt great, and good enough for P1. That's not really a good sign when a drivers makes costly mistakes under pressure when the car feels great and up to driver's liking. Qatar, Mexico, Brazil (yes, he made a mistake there as well), Abu Dhabi. Did I miss something? This is way too much anyways...

mwillems

avantman wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 20:36
mwillems wrote:
avantman wrote:
Max had also made a lot of mistakes from being greedy and hot headed. It is worth making this parallel. Whilst the pressure they are under is different for each which Max being a racing animal who comes out fighting if things didn't go his way, Lando being more introspective - the journey looks to be similar. Lando needs a few breaks to get a win or two and some more poles to get used to being a lead driver and that, we hope. should be enough for him to acclimatise to being a challenger and to convert more points.
Not sure what are you talking about. Verstappen has been the most precise and consistent in qualifying since the 2nd half of 2018 season, five and a half past years already. This is not my impression, this is just raw statistics and it's jsut about time to end all those BS talks about the car designed to suit him and him only, exclusively.
He's made some mistakes in qualifying in the beginning of 2022, when the car had obvious fault(significant understeer trait), but he doesn't make any significant and costly mistakes when he likes the car. Lando literally said again the car felt great, and good enough for P1. That's not really a good sign when a drivers makes costly mistakes under pressure when the car feels great and up to driver's liking. Qatar, Mexico, Brazil (yes, he made a mistake there as well), Abu Dhabi. Did I miss something? This is way too much anyways...
I'm not talking about Qualifying, I'm talking about overall. Max had a lot of incidents with his own teammate and other drivers before he settled down and found his balance.

The conversation around Max' car etc is not for this thread.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Piastri and Norris are team players. If Norris is faster Piastri will let him through.

I wouldn't worry about it. I still think that maximum we can aim for is P2 and P3 which would be a great finish to the season but a shame we are not in a better position to fight for the win. Who knows, maybe we get some luck in the race. Piastri should be super aggressive.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Nothing special just an ordinary mistake in the q3 from Lando…. :(

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 21:32
Piastri and Norris are team players. If Norris is faster Piastri will let him through.

I wouldn't worry about it. I still think that maximum we can aim for is P2 and P3 which would be a great finish to the season but a shame we are not in a better position to fight for the win. Who knows, maybe we get some luck in the race. Piastri should be super aggressive.
Lando needs to live through the first corner..5th place can be dangerous…

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

avantman wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 20:36
mwillems wrote:
avantman wrote:
Max made some mistakes in quali in 2021 and 2022 and even this year (Miami, Qatar sprint, COTA, not counting the ones where he was still on pole, like Silverstone, etc) It's just that you can afford those in that car cause no one notices and Perez is 3 miles behind.

I think this is Lando's issue. He looses his head whenever there's a slight chance at pole instead of setling for P2. He's already mentioned he's working on that, but he made the same mistake today, driving at 101%. Hope it's something he can actually improve upon

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

More on what Stella said. I still think it's on the drivers to find the limit, but it's true that since the Singapore upgrades there's been more mistakes in qualifying from both,so it might be worth looking into

Ben1980
Ben1980

I do think Lando finally having a fast car will help him improve. And he seems the sort that will work things out when he gets more into a real battle. (4th in the championship is preeey much irrelevant)

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

It is a real shame this amazing car may end up without a pole and without a win.

Still hoping for a great race tomorrow.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 23:09
It is a real shame this amazing car may end up without a pole and without a win.

Still hoping for a great race tomorrow.
True. Just don’t think that sort of turn around has been seen much in F1. They’ve simply done a stunning job to get to this point

organic

Meh Lando is in no different of a position than red bull in 2020 against the W11. On pure pace they're unlikely to ever get more than P2 if he drives perfectly, but the least you should do is that in order to be the one to capitalise if RB have issues

Lando has not been there in many instances already when he should've. The idea that Verstappen had this sort of problem doesn't hold weight: Lando has been out of karts for more than 7 years already. When max stopped having major incidents (early 2018 onwards) he was in his 4th year out of karts.

Ben1980
Ben1980

organic wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 23:47
Meh Lando is in no different of a position than red bull in 2020 against the W11. On pure pace they're unlikely to ever get more than P2 if he drives perfectly, but the least you should do is that in order to be the one to capitalise if RB have issues

Lando has not been there in many instances already when he should've. The idea that Verstappen had this sort of problem doesn't hold weight: Lando has been out of karts for more than 7 years already. When max stopped having major incidents (early 2018 onwards) he was in his 4th year out of karts.
Almost 50% of the races since Austria, Lando has come 2nd. That's pretty good, in terms of trying to capitalise upon a mistake. Unfortunately mistakes are few and far between.