Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FrukostScones

Re: Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

Happy New Year Everyone!

The aerodesign of the new Ferrari is solely developed in the Toyota wind tunnel, also all in season development will be done there.

According to Domenicali the 2013 car will look considerably different than the 2012 model. (only question: because the missing stepped nose because of the "modesty panel" or because the coke bottle area that will have a design a la Red Bull or both...)

Ferrari happy with DRS "ban" in qualifying.

Also new members of Ferrari aero-team and the hierachy and distribution of tasks within the aero team is discussed in the article.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 29474.html

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl ... ml&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Hi all!

This is how probably, the new Ferrari 664 will looks, according to F1 painter Paolo D`Alessio.
Last edited by k.ko100v on 05 Jan 2013, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.

timbo
timbo

I liked last year's speculations with jet-fighter sidepods better :)

enz0
enz0

looks just like the f2012 without the stepped nose

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Maybe, we`ll see the jet-fighter side pods this year... :)

raymondu999

timbo wrote:I liked last year's speculations with jet-fighter sidepods better :)
I think you're referring to the "Harrier Jump Jet" MP4-27 speculation?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

raymondu999 wrote:
timbo wrote:I liked last year's speculations with jet-fighter sidepods better :)
I think, timbo mean this: The speculations about F2012 Image

FrukostScones

k.ko100v wrote: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5650/04122.jpg[/img]

Hi all!

This is how probably the new Ferrari 664 will looks, according to F1 painter Paolo D`Alessio.
Good sketch, but: Exhaust placement looks completly off, and also looks illegal. I think the side pods wil look comletely different than shown in this sketch.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

timbo
timbo

k.ko100v wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
I think, timbo mean this: The speculations about F2012
Yep

Gridlock

It rather looks like he forgot to leave room for the engine.... And what's going on under the front wishbones?

Hail22

Source (in Italian): http://i48.tinypic.com/k4wk1e.png

Translation:
Accessories and wings takes shape the new Ferrari
Ready mechanical details of 664 Bigois and Sanchez study the new DRS

After the crash test of the first shell, work continues on the preparation of the mechanical parts of the project 664, code behind which lurks a Ferrari on the track that will drop from 5 February at Jerez for the first winter testing session. A job in material, shape, weight and size of attachments (eg radiators): in practice all that hidden under the forms of the body. But he works hard also in the aerodynamic side, a sector that has been strengthened not only by Loic Bigois (formerly Mercedes) also by David Sanchez (former McLaren), who join Ben Agathangelou (formerly Red Bull). Both Bigois and Sanchez have considerable experience in developing mobile rear wing (DRS), which he told me in the pre Christmas dinner Stefano Domenicali next year will have even greater importance as you will be unable to use more freely in practice and qualifying. The objective course and increase the speed of the tip that has also beneficial effects on the engine power (increases the airflow and consequently the overpressure supply).

The aerodynamic shape you are trying in the wind tunnel that Toyota has the industrial suburbs of Cologne, where Ferrari will be forced to work at least until September, that will not be completed until the restructuring of that of Maranello already late even for the car of 2014 (the first of the new era turbo). The project to create a completely new tunnel from flank to Renzo Piano and instead gone for a long time because of excessive costs, they speak of 70 million euro.
Found this bit of info, whether its speculation or fact the user has posted the following:
Forza di Resta says:
Other bits of information:

OmniCorse report the new car will be unveiled sometime between the 30th of January and the 2nd of February, with the shakedown on the 2nd of February.
Jose Luis revealed last week that Ferrari were designing a Red Bull-style exhaust for the 2013 car, and the car would have changes to the internal aerodynamics, sidepods and radiators.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

C Plinius Secundus
C Plinius Secundus

Hi, Hail22. This is a bit more precise a translation (Online translations are very useful, but also a bit blunt)

Accessories and wings
The new Ferrari takes shape

Mechanical elements of the 664 are ready
Bigois and Sanchez study the new DRS

Once passed the crash test of the first chassis (tub), work continues on the preparation of the mechanical parts of the project 664, code behind which lurks the Ferrari that will debut on the track on February 5 at Jerez for the first winter testing session. A job that involves material, shape, weight and size of attachments (eg radiators): actually, all that is hidden under the shape of the body. But they're working promptly in the aerodynamics as well, a sector that has been strengthened not only by Loic Bigois (formerly Mercedes) also by David Sanchez (former McLaren), who join Ben Agathangelou (formerly Red Bull). Both Bigois and Sanchez have considerable experience in developing mobile rear wing (DRS), which, as told in the pre Christmas dinner by Stefano Domenicali, will have an even greater importance next year, as it will not be able to be used freely in practice and qualifying. The goal is to increase the top speed, that has also beneficial effects on the engine power (increases the airflow and consequently the overpressure on the intake supply).

The aerodynamic shapes are being analyzed in the Toyota wind tunnel at the industrial suburbs of Cologne, where Ferrari will be forced to work at least until September, or whenever the restructuring of the Maranello wt is completed: already late, even for 2014 car (the first of the new turbo era). The project to create a completely new tunnel sibe by side to the one created by Renzo Piano has has been dismissed long time ago because of the excessive cost: they speak of 70 million euros.
Jose Luis revealed last week that Ferrari were designing a Red Bull-style exhaust for the 2013 car, and the car would have changes to the internal aerodynamics, sidepods and radiators.
Not again, please, could we take a brake from twiter's joseluisf1, please, pleeease…? [-o<
Last edited by C Plinius Secundus on 09 Jan 2013, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

JMN
JMN

Gerhard Berger wrote:do people think they will keep the unorthodox cooling system (vertical radiators and hot air exiting out of the sidepods)?

I think they big sidepods that resulted from this may have made development very difficult for the F2012.
There was a research paper circling this forum earlier in the year. It delt specifically with the potential benefits of using the exhaust in the sidepods to increase their cooling efficacy by turning them into aspirators. Seemingly, the Acer ducts followed this philosophy. Whether the decision to mount the radiators on the side is related to this is hard to say. According to Gary Anderson it's a fairly outdated packaging approach http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17982191).
Coanda type exhaust does not play well with the idea of using the exhaust as an aspirator due to the mixing of airflows, so some rethinking of the sidepod arrangement is probably to be expected. I can't say whether the shorter sidepods from the sideways mounted radiators are suboptimal for coanda type exhausts and the downwash required to bring the exhaust properly down to the floor.

jonaliew
jonaliew

More to the team
Ferrari adds aerodynamicist

Ferrari also announced that they had signed British aerodynamics expert Martin Bester to bolster their design team ahead of the 2013 season. Bester will work for the head of aerodynamics Loic Bigois who joined from Mercedes during 2012.

Bester was previously aerodynamics team leader at Williams F1 where he worked alongside Bigois. Bester has also worked in the sport for BWM and McLaren.

Ferrari are currently using the old Toyota wind tunnel in Cologne to develop the F2013 car, while facilities at Maranello are being upgraded and extended.

stefan_
stefan_

According to good sources (F1 Zone, Jon Noble, ESPN F1) Ferrari will launch their 2013 challenger on Friday 1st February at Maranello. And it seems like Pedro de la Rosa joined Ferrari as a development driver.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985