2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

continuum16 wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 18:34
Not surprising to see Tost leave/step back (he is 67, so retirement probably wasn't that far off anyways) given the team's run of form lately. Is Laurent Mekies the right guy to replace him? I'm not convinced given his time as sporting director at Ferrari coincided with consistent operational issues. But who knows. The addition of the CEO role seems like a way to divide Tost's responsibilities. Given he was there for so long, a replacement could easily be spread too thin. Not unlike when Charlie Whiting was replaced as race director.

Lately there seems to be a disconnect between Tost and the rest of the team anyways. Also, Tost had to bridge the gap between day-to-day operations and being an RB parent company liaison. Perhaps this gap can be more effectively spanned by two people rather than just one, if that makes sense.
There are a lot of engineers who looked good elsewhere, but then looked awful at Ferrari due to Ferrari's idiosyncrasies. We can't judge Mekies yet.

LM10
LM10

FW17 wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 16:01
organic wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 13:02
Seems likely alpha tauri have poached Mekies from Ferrari as part of their restructuring.

Surely this can only be a good thing. Perhaps he will be the successor to Franz Tost
Maybe Binotto follows
In which role? Mekies will be TP. Binotto surely won’t step down from a place he’s already had at Ferrari.

FW17

LM10 wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 18:57
FW17 wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 16:01
organic wrote:
Seems likely alpha tauri have poached Mekies from Ferrari as part of their restructuring.

Surely this can only be a good thing. Perhaps he will be the successor to Franz Tost
Maybe Binotto follows
In which role? Mekies will be TP. Binotto surely won’t step down from a place he’s already had at Ferrari.
Technical Director; Binotto wouldn't mind a role under Mekies, as long as he makes much more $$$

Dream team with Daniel Ricciardo in 24 and fighting for race wins in 25

Juzh

organic wrote:

Good call =D>

Wouter

New management structure announced

Aimed at securing long-term stability and ensuring continuity, Scuderia AlphaTauri today announces that a new senior management structure is to be put in place at the Team.

Former FIA executive Peter Bayer will join the Team as Chief Executive Officer later this year,

while Franz Tost will step down from the role of Team Principal at the end of the 2023 season.

Laurent Mekies, currently Sporting Director at Ferrari, will join Scuderia AlphaTauri as its new Team Principal at a date to be confirmed.

A key figure in the development of both Scuderia AlphaTauri and its predecessor Scuderia Toro Rosso, Franz Tost joined the Faenza squad as Team Principal upon its creation in 2005 and led Toro Rosso to its first victory, on home soil, at the 2008 Italian Grand Prix. Following its rebranding as Scuderia AlphaTauri, Franz again led the Team to victory in 2020, winning at Monza for a second time.

With the Team also charged with the development of young drivers for future F1 success, during his time with the team Franz also helped progress a generation of grand prix winners and champions, including four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel, two-time world champion Max Verstappen and race winners Daniel Ricciardo, Pierre Gasly and Carlos Sainz.

Recognising his longstanding contribution to the Team and its drivers, Franz will continue to work with Scuderia AlphaTauri in a consultancy role in 2024.

Peter Bayer joins Scuderia AlphaTauri as CEO having most recently acted as F1 Executive Director and Secretary General for Sport at the FIA. Peter will oversee the strategic direction of the team at its facilities in Faenza and in the UK.

Laurent Mekies’ appointment as Team Principal at Scuderia AlphaTauri brings Ferrari’s current Sporting Director back to the Team with which he achieved many of his early successes, first as a race engineer and ultimately as Chief Engineer and Head of Vehicle Performance. After his first stint in Faenza, Laurent spent four years at the FIA as Safety Director and Deputy Race Director, before joining Ferrari in 2018.

With Laurent being responsible for the day-to-day operation of the team, including Technical, Manufacturing, Support Function and Race Team operations and in conjunction with Peter’s strategically focussed role, they will create a new and dynamic leadership team with equal responsibility.

Oliver Mintzlaff, Chief Executive of Corporate Projects and Investments, Red Bull GmbH said:
“Firstly, I would like to thank Franz Tost for his hard work at Scuderia AlphaTauri and Scuderia Toro Rosso over the past 18 years. Throughout his time at the team Franz has been driven by a singular vision – the pursuit of ever more performance from machine and from driver. His leadership resulted in outstanding victories and in the development of some of the finest talents ever seen in Formula 1. Replacing him as he steps back has not been easy and has resulted in a redefinition of the management structure at the Team. I am therefore very pleased to welcome Peter Bayer as CEO and Laurent Mekies as Team Principal. Both have huge experience in top positions in Formula 1 and together I am sure they will take Scuderia AlphaTauri to even greater heights in the future.”
The whole announcement
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Might the team be sold then?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 03:25
Might the team be sold then?
I think the appointment of a new team principal and a new CEO is consistent with the pressure from RB shareholders to make Alpha Tauri competitive sporting wise and financially.

mendis
mendis

They should revamp their technical structure which seems to be in extremely bad shape that has been delivering one dud after another. They need a good solid technical director with a successful CV. May be they should poach Mike Elliot? He has a strong technology background with so many successful cars to his name as a chief aerodynamicist at Mercedes.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mendis wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 04:38
They should revamp their technical structure which seems to be in extremely bad shape that has been delivering one dud after another. They need a good solid technical director with a successful CV. May be they should poach Mike Elliot? He has a strong technology background with so many successful cars to his name as a chief aerodynamicist at Mercedes.
I don't think Mike Elliot would want to move to Italy?

mendis
mendis

Is Nyck a wrong choice for AT? He continues to be lackluster and hasn't put one lap worth noting. Ever faultful Yuki is appearing a far better driver at this stage. Replacing Nyck with Daniel would make far more sense.

Wouter

Drivers and Team’s quotes after the Baku race

Yuki Tsunoda (AT04-01, Car 22)
Race: Pos. 10th

“It was a tough race today but the team, especially the mechanics, did a great job to repair the car after yesterday. The engineers found a strong set-up, even if we lost some time in sector two. We didn’t get many chances to do long runs this weekend but to be able to demonstrate a strong pace, and build on this performance throughout the race, was awesome from the team. I am also happy with my performance. I was consistent, and being sandwiched between the two McLarens meant any mistake would cost us the point. It took a lot of concentration but in the end, we were able to achieve another top-ten finish. There is still room for development and improvement to fight for points consistently, but I have confidence in my team to race stronger in the future.”

Nyck de Vries (AT04-03, Car 21)
Race: DNF

“The accident today was fully my mistake. It was very silly and unnecessary and that responsibility is on me. I am disappointed with myself but that’s the way it is. There are positives to take away from this weekend and I’ll try to look at them. I am happy to be racing again next week so I forget this weekend as soon as possible.”

Guillaume Dezoteux (Head of Vehicle Performance)

“We are very happy to end the weekend with a point. Yuki drove a solid race, the strategy calls were right and the pit stop was competitive. At the start of the race, we knew it would be difficult to hold faster cars behind us, but Yuki remained focused, made no mistakes and settled in a train of cars with both McLarens, a Haas and an Alpine. We were continuously evaluating safety car scenarios and monitoring other cars to react, although in the end, there was nothing to react to. Nyck’s race started well with an offset strategy. We decided to start on the hard tyre, chasing any opportunity to make ground through the pack. Unfortunately, he made contact with the inside of Turn 5 and broke his front left track rod, which forced him to stop on track. Overall, this weekend has been solid and the track layout has suited us better. There are similarities in Miami, so we will review everything in the next couple of days to prepare as best we can for next weekend.”

Franz Tost (Team Principal)

“Firstly, congratulations to Red Bull Racing for another front-row finish. As for our weekend, we came to this race with some aero updates, and I’m pleased to say they seem to work very well. The team in Bicester did a fantastic job because we have been competitive from the very beginning of the weekend. The highlight was of course Friday’s qualifying, where Yuki finished in eighth position. As for today’s race, he was overtaken by Stroll and Russell on the first lap, but this is what I expected as their cars are simply faster than ours. Nevertheless, Yuki did a fantastic job. He was able to split the McLarens, staying quite close to Norris and keeping Piastri behind. Overall, a big congratulations to Yuki for another strong performance, which shows how much he is improving race by race. Unfortunately, Nyck had an accident, he touched the wall in turn 5, breaking the front left track rod, and that was the end of his race. Generally speaking, we have improved the car performance dramatically since the start of the season, so now I am even more looking forward to the next race in Miami.”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Franz Tost on his departure:
Happy that it will soon be over? Tost sees it differently: "No, my shoulders are still strong," laughs the Austrian, in conversation with GPblog and others. "And generally I like the challenge, I like the pressure, and this was not a problem, for me, not a problem.”

What Tost will do after leaving the Red Bull family, he does not yet know. Training young drivers, for example, would suit him tremendously. "Don't know yet, was asked already, but don't know yet, it's not decided. First of all, I want to take a step back, and then to see whether I will be involved in such a project or not, it's not decided yet."

One thing Tost knows for sure: he will not get involved in AlphaTauri once Laurent Mekies is in place as his successor.
"Yeah, but I can tell you now I'm not the guy to look behind the shoulders of what Peter and Laurent will do. They are really very good, and they know what to do. I will be there at the beginning when they are coming, one month or so, but then 100 per cent I will step back. I am not the person to advise someone or tell someone what to do. They know it. It's also important, this is also a personal desire and wish from my side. The team has to step up, come to another level. I have been there for 18 years, and it's good."

According to Tost, it was always his idea to bring in new people. New people means new, fresh ideas: "Formula 1 is developing very fast, they have maybe different points of view, and they should do it. I am convinced they can do it much better than myself, therefore it's better if I shut my mouth."
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Some quotes translated from a long article about AlphaTauri on AMuS 03.05.2023. You need a subscription to read it.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... s-ferrari/
----------------------------
Initially, a sale was up for discussion if the price was right. The asking price was $850 million. There was even said to be an interested party from Kazakhstan, but the number was too hot for Red Bull. There were suspicions that Dmitry Mazepin was behind the money. Everyone is keeping their hands off Russian investors at the moment.

When it turned out that no one else was willing to pay the sum, intentions to sell were officially denied. Nothing depresses the price more than offering yourself on the market.

A second scenario was a complete move to England, but this is not so easy because of Italian labor laws. Nevertheless, it is a done deal that the engineering department will move step by step to England to be closer to Red Bull. A hundred people are already on the island anyway. Alpha Tauri uses the simulator and wind tunnel of the A-Team.

Thus, Mintzlaff had to be presented with new survival models for the continuation of two teams. For Red Bull it is eminently important to have an outpost. Also because of profitability, which is a high priority for the new management. In the event of a sale, access would be limited.

Alpha Tauri is a customer in the Red Bull wind tunnel, a customer for the company's own engine from 2026, and an alternative location for engineers that the company desperately wants to keep in its own camp but could not afford on its own under the budget cap. And the branch in Faenza is needed as a career ladder for talents from the company's own stable.

Accordingly, the solution accepted from the highest level could only be a new management with stronger ties to Milton Keynes. Team boss Franz Tost will step down at the end of the year and remain available to the racing team as a consultant.

His role will be shared by two new appointments in the future. Managing Director will be former FIA Secretary General Peter Bayer, who will determine the strategic direction of the racing team. Bayer was already under contract at Audi but was not happy there because there were too few tasks for him. Audi already has two generals on board in Andreas Seidl and Adam Baker.

Ferrari sports director Laurent Mekies is slated to be the new team boss. Mekies previously worked at Toro Rosso from 2004 to 2014, including as chief engineer, then moved to the FIA and from there to Ferrari in 2018. Now both parties are arguing about when Mekies will be released. The 46-year-old Frenchman still has a contract with Ferrari until the end of 2025, after which he is reportedly banned from working for a year.

A leak in the system leaked the news to the Gazetta dello Sport that Mekies was on his way to his old team. The indiscretion came in handy for Red Bull. Facts were thus created. Two days later, Alpha Tauri sent out a press release announcing the personnel carousel at the top - with the caveat that it was not known when the new team boss could start. So Ferrari is being blamed for holding on to Mekies for too long. But that is only half the truth.

Ferrari, for its part, already has some Red Bull engineers on its hands. Reports in Italy that Aero boss Enrico Balbo is also said to be among them are obviously fiction instead of truth. If the engineers Ferrari has in mind are allowed to come to Maranello quickly, Mekies would also be free. Otherwise, Alpha Tauri will have to wait. Ferrari team boss Frédéric Vasseur made it clear that Ferrari's interests have priority in the Mekies case.
The Power of Dreams!

mendis
mendis

Devries continues to be a donkey. I think Marko should put one of the young drivers from the academy in that car soon.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mendis wrote:
08 May 2023, 05:45
Devries continues to be a donkey. I think Marko should put one of the young drivers from the academy in that car soon.
I'm surprised with how conservative AT has been with the driver selection. You would think they would sign drivers to half seasons and get more drivers in the seat. The gems don't take long to show themselves.