What will come after the 2.4 V8?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Sensible ideas for what will happen after the 2.4 V8?

I have always found this concept extremely interesting, even if the company is a little shady.

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Carlos
Carlos

There was a rotary valve engine project, the Bishop Rotary Valve, that almost reached F1 in conjunction with Ilmor, a3 L F1 V10 was actually designed and manufactured, unfortunately the F1 rules changed, Article 1.15 in 2004 I think it was - only allowing poppet valve engines: http://home.people.net.au/~mrbdesign/PD ... echBRV.pdf

There's also a thread on rotary valve engines:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3045&hilit=rotary+sleeve+engine

Both well worth reading, if only for reference and F1 historical perspective.

Let me help with the constant comparison between 2 stoke and rotary engines - it's based on the the similarities of both engines using intake exhaust ports rather than poppet valves.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

358ci, pushrod V8. Carb'd.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Jersey Tom wrote:358ci, pushrod V8. Carb'd.
Along with leaf spring suspension and drum brakes? Or is that overkill on outdated tech? :P
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Edis
Edis

autogyro wrote:Can you explain to this poor ancient engineer how you measure the 'swept' volume of the Mazda rotary and come up with 3.9 liters.
The rotary IS used in current road cars, it is just that most cars still use 19th century ic technology.
How is a two stroke engine even slightly close to a rotary in minimal moving part? It still wastes power doing a silly dance called reciprocation!

The rotary only uses to much fuel because it burns rich to keep the combustion temperatures down for tip seal reasons, it can burn low octane fuel better because of the spread out flame path. To meet the fueling needs, fit a turbo generator with air fuel injection into the exhaust prior to the turbine. This burns the unburnt fuel and other exhaust gasses at a high enough temperature for fuel efficiency and also recovers energy from the generator.

Oh and before you dimiss rotary valves completely, take a look at the Bristol sleeve valve engine in the sea fury we used to fly. 2800hp, the Napier was also very useful. WW2 vintage of course.
The displacement of an engine is the volume of air an engine displaces during one complete engine cycle. For the rotary to complete one cycle, it must do one revolution of the rotor (three shaft revolutions). One revolution of the rotor equals three combustions per rotor, and since Mazda rate their engines by the displacement of one chamber per rotor, the correct displacement will be three times the displacement rated by the method Mazda uses. So the real advantage of the rotary is a big displacement in a small package.

No, the rotary doesn't use "much fuel because it burns rich to keep the combustion temperatures down". It simply suffers from a poor combustion chamber geometry. This results in high heat losses, high HC emissions and a slow heat release rate. Yes, the high surface to volume ratio that cause the high heat losses and the lack of hot exhaust valves offer some advantage in terms of charge quenching which could have some positive effect on octane requirement, but in overall, it doesn't offer any advantages over a piston engine. Which is why all car manufacturers, except Mazda due to non technical reasons in some special models, have decided to stay with the piston engine. The wankel engine was simply the answer to a question never asked; innovation for innovations sake rather than for a real technical reason!

There are also no losses in an engine because of reciprocating motion, and the motion of a rotary engine is partially reciprocating too, that's why they often have counterweights.

Two stroke engines have very few moving parts; piston, piston rings (two or three usually), piston pin, connecting rod and crankshaft. The rotary have the rotor with internal gear, three two or three piece apex seals with apex seal springs, six trunnion blocks, six trunnion washer springs, side seals (six or twelve per rotor), oil seals (two per rotor) and the eccentric shaft. I don't know how you get that to fewer parts, but I sure don't.

The Bristol is a sleeve valve engine, not a rotary valve engine, there's a big difference.
Carlos wrote:There was a rotary valve engine project, the Bishop Rotary Valve, that almost reached F1 in conjunction with Ilmor, a3 L F1 V10 was actually designed and manufactured, unfortunately the F1 rules changed, Article 1.15 in 2004 I think it was - only allowing poppet valve engines: http://home.people.net.au/~mrbdesign/PD ... echBRV.pdf

There's also a thread on rotary valve engines:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3045&hilit=rotary+sleeve+engine

Both well worth reading, if only for reference and F1 historical perspective.

Let me help with the constant comparison between 2 stoke and rotary engines - it's based on the the similarities of both engines using intake exhaust ports rather than poppet valves.
Single cylinder prototype engines were built, there have been several of that kind, but the step from a prototype to a working racing engine is quite long.

Edis
Edis

Giblet wrote:I have always found this concept extremely interesting, even if the company is a little shady.

This goes into the 'answer to a question never asked' category of engines. It's just another way to do what the piston engine alreasy is doing without actually improving anything.

Back in the early 1900 there was a book released that explained about hundred different engine types, and they certainly have't got fewer over the years even if many certainly have been forgotten and reinvented. Many designs never got longer than drawings on a paper, some ended up as running prototypes and few saw large scale production. It's just like in biology; survival of the fittest.

xpensive
xpensive

Jersey Tom wrote:358ci, pushrod V8. Carb'd.
A big-block Chevy, xpanded to 500 ci, 800 hp with a mammoth-torque from the word go could be one place to begin?

Seriously, next formula has to be PC, one way or the other, but with the Ethanol-myth crumbling down, metanol from cellulose could be the answer. But since the energy content of methanol is half of gasoline, 16 MJ/litre vs 32, either a larger engine capacity or more oxygene is required.

I seem to remember a 2.65 methanol V8 concept, mildly boosted, producing some 750 BHP?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:... with the Ethanol-myth crumbling down, metanol from cellulose could be the answer.
What is the latest news on that process? Last time we looked there was no industrial size trial unit that could have been scaled up. There was no efficiency in the process. And finally cost was nowhere near to allow commercialization.

A good point of comparison would be the natural gas industry using biological sources like agricultural and urban organic waste. They have some respectable figures which would be natural for comparison.

Have a look at Schmack AG. They are a good representative. Is there a company that sells methanol from cellulose plants which would be a comparable source of financial and engineering data?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

Strange then that certain South American countries run a major part of their economy on ethanol.
Methanol has half the energy density of gasoline it is true, that is why you use twice as much mixed with air and adjust mixture to suit.
It has a naturaly high octane comparison, which allows very high compression ratios in four stroke engines, giving higher power output and smoother running.
A far better fuel than gasoline.

autogyro
autogyro

WhiteBlue wrote:
xpensive wrote:... with the Ethanol-myth crumbling down, metanol from cellulose could be the answer.
What is the latest news on that process? Last time we looked there was no industrial size trial unit that could have been scaled up. There was no efficiency in the process. And finally cost was nowhere near to allow commercialization.

A good point of comparison would be the natural gas industry using biological sources like agricultural and urban organic waste. They have some respectable figures which would be natural for comparison.

Have a look at Schmack AG. They are a good representative. Is there a company that sells methanol from cellulose plants which would be a comparable source of financial and engineering data?

As to 'the ethanol myth crumbling down' end quote.
Is this the same as Global Warming deniel and the current attack against Toyota designed to slow or stop them from developing and proving hybrid technology and the practical application of alternative energy.

Protectionism at its worst, the life blood of greedy American oil barons?

Last seen in F1 with the formation of Fota designed to kill Kers.
(ask Shell and Ferrari)
Before that GMs scrapping of their original electric car in the 80s.
Before that GMs scrapping electric buses in nearly all US Towns in the 30s.
Prohibition? What was all that about 'Jesus' na ethanol innit.

Shall I go on or is the guilt to much?

Edis
Edis

WhiteBlue wrote:

It's ethanol that is made from cellulose. The process efficiency is high compared to traditional ethanol production but so far only small scale.

Metanol is made from gasified biomass or black liquor through synthesis gas which is then converted to methanol using a catalyst. The process offers a very high efficiency, and all biomass can be used (traditional ethanol production is limited to sugar and starch). Synthetis gas to methanol is commerical technology, the gasification process isn't. So far only small scale from biomass, methanol production from coal is large scale commercial. Methanol from biomass can be combined with heat and electricity production. A few other fuels can be produced using a similar method, Choren use it to produce diesel fuel ( http://www.choren.com/en/ ), they have an animation on their website that show how it works.

Black liquor is a byproduct from the production of paper.

Methanol can also be made by dry destillation of wood, that's why it's sometimes called wood alcohol.

Some more information about methanol from biomass from some guys actually building a plant
http://www.varmlandsmetanol.se/Memo%20a ... n%2009.pdf
7 SEK = 1 US Dollar, so in gasoline equivalents, methanol $0.85/liter, ethanol from wood cellulose $2.00/liter.

countersteer
countersteer

@ expensive... I seem to remember a 2.65 methanol V8 concept, mildly boosted, producing some 750 BHP?
I think you're referring to the Champ Car (CART) engine specification that was used until the demise of Champ Car. In the good ole days... Ford (Cosworth) Mercedes (Ilmor) Honda and Toyota fought it out with these engines. At the peak, they were rumored to produce 900+ horsepower, turning 14k rpm (with wire valvesprings). I don't recall what the boost limit was during this time. Oh yea, Chevy ran the Ilmor until Mercedes took over as the branding manufacturer.

Edis
Edis

countersteer wrote:
@ expensive... I seem to remember a 2.65 methanol V8 concept, mildly boosted, producing some 750 BHP?
I think you're referring to the Champ Car (CART) engine specification that was used until the demise of Champ Car. In the good ole days... Ford (Cosworth) Mercedes (Ilmor) Honda and Toyota fought it out with these engines. At the peak, they were rumored to produce 900+ horsepower, turning 14k rpm (with wire valvesprings). I don't recall what the boost limit was during this time. Oh yea, Chevy ran the Ilmor until Mercedes took over as the branding manufacturer.
Power output of at least one engine exceeded 1000 hp, the Ilmor made Mercedes 500I, and some engines saw speeds as high as 17,000 rpm.

From Ilmors website
"In 1994, with backing from Mercedes-Benz, Ilmor entered the Indy 500 with the now infamous 500I pushrod engine which was the first engine in history to achieve pole position and win the Indy 500 in its debut race. Raced by Al Unser Jr, it exceeded 1000bhp and had a top speed of 250mph."

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

pedal power :D

rich1701
rich1701

Whatever happens, A Formula one engine has to be exotic, it has to be unique and to distinguish the formula from any other motor racing category. Using 2.4 V8s are detriment to that.

I want formula 1 engines to make a sound that sends shivers down my spine when i hear them, like they used to before 2006. For me that means the return of V10s and opening up the regulations to use Turbo's again.

They key here is limiting the amount of fuel a car can use during a whole weekend, not limiting engine development or capacity or configuration.

I Don't think I'm wrong in saying the vast majority of fans want V10s back. A question which is conveniently avoided in FOTA's and the FIA's fans surveys.