Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vappy
Vappy

Re: Red Bull RB20

From a lack of my own experience, is the disappointment because those cutouts aren't an efficient method of cutting drag compared to other known, potentially more effective methods?

Emag
Emag

Vappy wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 17:56
From a lack of my own experience, is the disappointment because those cutouts aren't an efficient method of cutting drag compared to other known, potentially more effective methods?
Not necessarily. The wing itself is quite large and (seemingly) significantly more loaded compared to what Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari have brought.

It just doesn't look like something you would bring to Monza intentionally. More akin to what Williams was running when they had financial struggles.

TNTHead

Emag wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 18:14
Vappy wrote:
Not necessarily. The wing itself is quite large and (seemingly) significantly more loaded compared to what Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari have brought.

It just doesn't look like something you would bring to Monza intentionally. More akin to what Williams was running when they had financial struggles.
Or they expect there is more DF needed because of the changed layout.

Waz
Waz

SiLo wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 12:12
I know there are cutouts but that is a huge wing for Monza.
It looks more sculpted than just a straight cutout of an existing wing.

Whether it is or not, Red Bull seem to be fiddling a lot this year compared to the RB19. Plenty of small, frequent changes.

Paa

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 12:22
SiLo wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 12:12
I know there are cutouts but that is a huge wing for Monza.
At a few angles it looks like foils in those cutouts have a bit lower angle as well, but still this cannot be a serious option for Monza like last two years
This could be just part of their experimental program. Probably they'll test different configurations on Friday, not for Monza specifically, but to nail down their generic issues. Then fit a proper Monza wing on Saturday or something.

Max hinted in his recent interviews that "they need to find the balance between experimenting and setting up the car for Monza".

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

TNTHead wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 19:58
Emag wrote:
Vappy wrote:

Do you mean car layout, or has their been a change to the circuit??
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

SiLo

PapayaFan481 wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 11:29
TNTHead wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 19:58
Emag wrote:

Do you mean car layout, or has their been a change to the circuit??
Surely not the track layout, if anything it's faster now because the Ascari chicane has almost zero curb to unsettle the car.
Felipe Baby!

Lasssept

FNTC
FNTC

That sawzall-cut top flap looks like something a back marker team strapped for cash would have done, but hey, if it works. :lol:

SiLo

Are they trying to keep the rear wing interacting with the two strong vortices coming off the diffuser maybe?
Felipe Baby!

cplchanb
cplchanb

FNTC wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 15:44
That sawzall-cut top flap looks like something a back marker team strapped for cash would have done, but hey, if it works. :lol:
I guess they overspent a bit on catering this time or to compensate for checo's crashes lol

Vappy
Vappy

Perhaps the platform is nearing its limit regarding development, which is already an evolution of last year's car. This is potentially in part due to the cost cap, but also that it won them a championship and would make sense to continue in that direction. It has its weaknesses, and the teams at the top have had more resources to develop their own cars. Of course a car will start to look bad when running a handicap, and would provide an interesting insight into their design if they're able to build back on their dominance before the year is out.

ing.

Interesting to hear Max in post-race interviews say the team will NOW—I emphasize the NOW part—have to develop the car.

Could it be that based on the large performance advantage RBR had at the beginning of the year, they miscalculated that they could slow down development on the ‘24 car and focus on the ‘25 car—if not the ‘26 (whatever is allowed)—and so now they have too few things in the development pipeline and have been overtaken in the development race and on track?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ing. wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:22
Interesting to hear Max in post-race interviews say the team will NOW—I emphasize the NOW part—have to develop the car.

Could it be that based on the large performance advantage RBR had at the beginning of the year, they miscalculated that they could slow down development on the ‘24 car and focus on the ‘25 car—if not the ‘26 (whatever is allowed)—and so now they have too few things in the development pipeline and have been overtaken in the development race and on track?
They developed the RB20 and the upgrades have simply failed. It is not because they were holding back to focus on '25 or '26.

DDopey
DDopey

ing. wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:22

This could definitely be the case. Budget allocation (which is primarily done by Horner) could have been wrongly defined from a wrong perception of the seasons start. That will take time and politics to get adjusted.