Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollus

Re: Red Bull RB20

Speculation in the team threads, please!
If it is not in THIS car, it probably should not be in the car thread.
(Posts have been moved to the team thread)
Rivals, not enemies.

Z-one
Z-one

回复:红牛RB20

RB20 has used flap BW in baku
The mankind’s courage and resolution will be witnessed and remembered by stars.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

🚨 Red Bull reportedly set to bring a radical floor to Baku, which would be a mix of the last 3 floor upgrades, according to
@Racingnews365

The team sees it as the best solution to prevent the efforts of the upgrades from being wasted, taking into account that each individual part had a positive response.

Lasssept

Emag
Emag

That is a weird change. They literally glued a cover at the expansion area.

To me it looks like they just took volume away from the diffuser. What are the desirable effects of such a change?

Z-one
Z-one

like ferrari spec 22
The mankind’s courage and resolution will be witnessed and remembered by stars.

Paa

Emag wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 10:55

To me it looks like they just took volume away from the diffuser. What are the desirable effects of such a change?
As I understand they went too aggressive with recent updates. DF was there, but balance was gone making the car very difficult to drive, so they could not utilize the extra DF. (similar to what happened with Merc in 2022-2023).
It seems that they are dialing it back a bit, aiming for lower overall, but more usable downforce.

Sevach
Sevach

Ferrari most recent update also went back to something like that.

Lasssept

Vanja #66

Emag wrote:

Yes, volume is reduced. The vertical kick on the keel generates some downforce which is very sensitive to ride height. These vertical kicks created some trouble for Ferrari on their Spain floor, so they removed them in Hungary and later removed the keel kick too. I suspect this is a quick fix for RB in order to give them some more room to expand setup window without inducing bouncing with those keel kicks

They've also done a hack job with the beam wing, this is smaller than Monza spec and clearly cut to a dramatic shape.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PlatinumZealot

So they say this is patch-work floor that is to be monitored until Singapore. A final version will be made after that for Austin.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

venkyhere
venkyhere

The changes look chop-shop fixes ; but seems to work.
Body language of the car looked good in FP1.

By taking away diffuser kicks and making the keel conventional (more like 2022) , of course they lost 'volume' and hence a smaller 'expansion ratio' from the floor, but doesn't it also mean they have to now 'buy' more downforce from their main wing ? Which in turn means a mega struggle for top speed in the 2km straight of sector3 ?

organic

Emag wrote:

More stability across a range of ride heights, I would assume
PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 13:48
So they say this is patch-work floor that is to be monitored until Singapore. A final version will be made after that for Austin.
Monaghan seemed to suggest that they could bring more changes to Singapore

Paa

organic wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 14:44

Makes sense to test even small iterations to get the feel of the general direction they would want to move forward.
They stated that they have to ignore WT and sim figures and only rely on track data so these weekends are effectively wind tunnel runs for their iterations.

organic

Paa wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 14:49
organic wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 14:44

Makes sense to test even small iterations to get the feel of the general direction they would want to move forward.
They stated that they have to ignore WT and sim figures and only rely on track data so these weekends are effectively wind tunnel runs for their iterations.
This is in the team thread but very relevant to the current changes happening on the car so I'll post it here
Monaghan indicated that the Baku modification is a first step, given the limited time, and that there will be more to come in Singapore next weekend. “The lessons are sort of continuous and the immediate reaction tends to be in subsequent races,” he said. “So it's a testament to everyone that we made it. A lot of hard work, and that hard work will continue. Singapore is only a week away . So it will potentially be another evolution for us. So if we were able to do it for this race, it's certainly not the biggest modification we've ever undertaken in terms of changing geometry. It is a small modification. Could the effect be good? YES. And I think the concrete proof will be on Sunday afternoon.”