Engine photos

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
RaceFaceXC

Re: Engine photos

It would have been something if it could have been made competitive.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Renault RS27

High Res. Right Click>view image

Scuderia Nuvolari
Scuderia Nuvolari

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Humble contribution from me, although not really visible as far as the engine is concerned. The reason is partly because I took the shot with my 7 MP digital Canon, and it was a shot from a paper magazine from 1988.
This is Gerhard Berger with Ferrari 1.5 V6T, which was very hungry for fuel and not the best engine implementation around.

What is that in the middle with what looks like gauges? Nitrogen reservoir in 1988? Even though this was an older car, it gives me an idea of the shape.
Is that a bald headed guy or just a pink beenie cap that lost it's propeller?

John Surtees, now there's a name from the past.When I was fourteen I went into his pit after the race at Sebring. I was begging for parts to his car. The mechanics kept talking to me in Italion, finally they just started knoding their heads uh uh or uh huh. I got away with a set of worn out brake pads and a broken ferrari tail light. I saw later him in Daytona, he had a blow out on the back straight at over a 180mph so he slowed down to a 100 and went to the pits. His moto days rival Nuvolari's.

riff_raff
riff_raff

RaceFaceXC wrote:It would have been something if it could have been made competitive.
RaceFaceXC,

I love that picture of Carlo Chiti and the Motori Moderni/Subaru 3.5L flat 12 F1 engine. Chiti was well past his prime when he sketched up that motor. It was a big, heavy pig of an engine and all the development effort in the world would not have made it competitive.

Anyone remember the Life W12 F1 engine?

"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

bhall
bhall

Scuderia Nuvolari wrote:John Surtees, now there's a name from the past.When I was fourteen I went into his pit after the race at Sebring. I was begging for parts to his car. The mechanics kept talking to me in Italion, finally they just started knoding their heads uh uh or uh huh. I got away with a set of worn out brake pads and a broken ferrari tail light.
I like that.

xpensive
xpensive

riff_raff wrote:
RaceFaceXC wrote:It would have been something if it could have been made competitive.
RaceFaceXC,

I love that picture of Carlo Chiti and the Motori Moderni/Subaru 3.5L flat 12 F1 engine. Chiti was well past his prime when he sketched up that motor. It was a big, heavy pig of an engine and all the development effort in the world would not have made it competitive.

Anyone remember the Life W12 F1 engine?
The Motori Moderni/Subaru engine was probably just an enlarged Alfa Romeo Flat 12, which in itself was a terrible beast, legend has it that when delivered, Gordon Murray discovered that they were all different built, which was xiting enough.

As for the glorious Life 3.5 W12 with some 450 Hp, it would be interesting to learn if somebody know more about the history of that design, when I find it fascinating that you can dream up a contraption like that? Guy Negre did the same btw.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Scuderia Nuvolari
Scuderia Nuvolari

Some of these newer designs just don't make any sense to me. They created this huge complicated beast which only puts out 450 hp. In the 1920's Auto Union built an inline, either 4 or 6 cylinders that put out over 600 hp.I tried but couldn't find a photo of this thing. It was supercharged.

strad

1936 AutoUnion V16
1936 Alfa Romero Bimotore
1948 Porsche
1972-3 Weslake
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Scuderia Nuvolari
Scuderia Nuvolari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ESsyk_eEI

Strad, you are the man, looks loke that first photo is the silver arrow engine.
How those germans could build a crankshaft 8+8 cylinders long and take that kind of punishment was an engineering feat worth aplauding in 1938.
I just read that Auto Union wasn't around until 1936.

strad

I like looking at the older ways and materials..
1966 Cooper/Maserati
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

1964 Ferrari flat 12
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

and for Nuvolari ;)
Sir Stirling Moss

ecapox

strad

sweet
Sir Stirling Moss

Scuderia Nuvolari
Scuderia Nuvolari

A Maserati flat 12 with double mags, :lol: WOW EXOTICA

That driver standing by the silver arrow and touching the wheel well. Is he worshipping the car? That guy standing on the left with the white trench coat, is he the gestapo? I'll never forget that little man after he won the 1935 Nurburgring(on the last lap) with an underpowered Alfa against all those silver arrows and all those germans saluting ACKTUNG. With all those flowers around his neck, holding his hand up in a waving gesture, thinking what the hell am I doing here?