Engine photos

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Scuderia Nuvolari
Scuderia Nuvolari

Engine photos

Gentlemen, I personally thank you all for your interesting, informative posts and ask to please share more,especially pictures of late model engines or whatever you have.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Engine photos

F2012

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall
bhall

Is there even such a thing as a "late model" engine in F1?

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

In the above picture would you say the assembly that holds the individual ignition coils is the light gray part between the cams? Would it simply plug on to the plugs and be held in place buy 3-4 fasteners?

Brian

scarbs
scarbs

Yes I'd say it is. The coil pack is a press fit on top of the plugs and the heat shield holds that in place. At least it is on the mercedes.

Ledon Racing
Ledon Racing

I've just uploaded a load of pictures of the Cosworth TJ V10 engine that you might find interesting.

I would post pictures onto this thred but can't work out how to find the html code for the photo's on my Flikr account.

However you can view the set here....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68967207@N ... 450958763/

Enjoy
www.LedonRacing.com
Unique motorsport inspired gifts - F1 parts bought & sold
http://www.ledonracing.com

Scuderia Nuvolari
Scuderia Nuvolari

Tifoso, Ledon Increable!!! Where are they using(what circuits) the v10?

strad

beautiful.....
This one seemed like a good idea on paper but it never worked out.
BRMs H16
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Ledon Racing
Ledon Racing

Scuderia Nuvolari wrote:Tifoso, Ledon Increable!!! Where are they using(what circuits) the v10?
Engine was used in the Red Bull RB1 during the 2005 season.
www.LedonRacing.com
Unique motorsport inspired gifts - F1 parts bought & sold
http://www.ledonracing.com

Sombrero
Sombrero

8th. U.S. GRAND PRIX—Formula One 1966 —108 laps

1st J. Clark (Lotus 43-B.R.M. H16)........2hrs. 09 min. 40.1 sec.
2nd: J. Rindt (Cooper-Maserati V12)......107 laps
3rd: J. Surtees (Cooper-Maserati V12)...107 laps
4th J. Siffert (Cooper-Maserati V12).......105 laps
5th B. McLaren (McLaren-Ford V8).......105 laps
6th : P. Arundell (Lotus 33-Climax V8)....101 laps

So the BRM H16 engine scored a dominant victory, a lap ahead of the field with many of the favoured runners fallen by the wayside. The victorious engine was in the back of a Lotus 43 but the power plant had answered its critics.

As MotorSport reported “Sceptics who said the H16 engine would never win a race should have been at the Glen when Clark took the flag, for the engine note was as crisp as on the first lap.”

carrossier77
carrossier77

strad

BRM engine designer Tony Rudd opted for the bold expedient of flattening two of the company's successful 1.5 liter V-8s and gearing them togetner one atop the other.
Sadly the H16 proved horrendously unreliable at first: no sooner had one source of internal vibration been eliminated than another would begin to wreak havoc. The H-16 only began racing toward the end of 1966 and even though it was more reliable it lacked the expected power.
It was dreadful recalls former BRM star Jackie Stewart. " It was so bad, it only changed when you got to really difficult cicuits such as Spa or Nurburgring..But it was just terrible.
The H-16 engine did win a Grand Prix, however. Before the Ford DFV was ready for 1967 Lotus cheif Colin Chapman did a deal with BRM to use it's H16 in 1966 in his type 43.
Maurice Philippe and the Lotus design team knew they were in trouble when the first engine arrived and four men were needed to lift it off the truck..investigation discovered it weighed as much as the rest of the car.
However at Watkins Glen that year Lotus borrowed the works spare engine after it's own had blown up in practice and in the race Clark nursed his Lotus-BRM to a suprise triumph. It was the only race ever won by a 16 cylinder engine.
from this the night before
to this...

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

the little engine that could..
Sir Stirling Moss

elmerfud
elmerfud

Thanks Ledon for pics!
That TJ is very close internally to BMWs P83.
Bore and stroke are the same, and the sqaushed inlet port, shallow valve bowl and rotary throttle fit the packaging in cad.
I traced the P83 in cad from the companies f1 motor presentation (it needs a 6% stretch in the vertical axis), the position of the throttle barrel and smoothness of the inlet port contour clashed until i flattened the port out. I traced the inlet tract of the TJ and it fitted to within 0.5mm, exact enough for hack.

The bore and stroke also were a match which had me rubbing my chin, were they silent partners?

I wonder.

Kiril Varbanov

Humble contribution from me, although not really visible as far as the engine is concerned. The reason is partly because I took the shot with my 7 MP digital Canon, and it was a shot from a paper magazine from 1988.
This is Gerhard Berger with Ferrari 1.5 V6T, which was very hungry for fuel and not the best engine implementation around.