Belgian GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: Belgian GP 2008

GTO wrote:Might be Honda wasting money again testing some new bi-directional tire built just for their new suspension. :P
Tyres are the same for everyone. Why would Honda test specific tyres if they won't be able to use them?

My view is that's just a test of a new way of marking softer compound tyres for the next season with non-grooved tyres (hence no white groove).

GTO

modbaraban wrote:Why would Honda test specific tyres if they won't be able to use them?
That's why I said they might be wasting money. :P
modbaraban wrote:My view is that's just a test of a new way of marking softer compound tyres for the next season with non-grooved tyres (hence no white groove).
If so, the markings are no way near to being distinguishable from regular ones, esp. to fans sitting in bleachers. It still doesn't explain confusing bi-directional arrow markings.#-o

axle
axle

It's not a bi-directional arrow, it's a stylised logo.

In motor-racing they wouldn't leave anything to mis-interpretation, it would be proper double headed arrow, very very clear.

If this is testing for next year (a logical conclusion, and doesn't need the whole field to run to get an idea for it), I can't see why they haven't gone for a solid white band on the inside and outside of the tyre with black (stenciled) lettering for Bridgestone and Potenza...

I can't really workout the form guide here...Ferrari's top speed adv does appear to be the difference atm. I don't think anyone can call this if the weather remains changable. I have a suspision that the pole sitter may well be a person that just happens to get the weather/track at the right time.

I'm hoping Rosberg's late surge will be carried through to Quali, and that Kazuki can follow in his wheel tracks. They said they made a major setup change between the 2 practice sessions.
- Axle

GTO

axle wrote:It's not a bi-directional arrow, it's a stylised logo.
Stylised logo? Logo for what? Bridestone logo is B. Perhaps stylised logo of confusion. :lol:
axle wrote:In motor-racing they wouldn't leave anything to mis-interpretation, it would be proper double headed arrow, very very clear.
They do not currently use double headed arrow. Look at photo of Ferrai above. Directional arrow is clearly seen. The way it is designed, this new test tire marking on Honda is NOT v. clear - either for fan in stands or car mechanic who has to install wheel. Needs more thought at the drawing board. If that wheel was off the car, it's not clear which side of car to put it on.

Anyway, as for this race, I will be very surprised if Kimi qualifies and or finishes the race ahead of Massa. I think Kimi's lost focus on F1. He making silly mistakes...speeding in pit lane, leaving early from pitstop. Plus, I'd read that he just bought a 10M Euro yacht. Seems to me that would be something to do during off season. I am a big fan of Kimi, even when he was at Mac. He's just so laid back. For a race car driver, it should be a good trait. Right now, it's working to his detriment. Someone at Ferrari needs to turn up the heat under his seat.

Saribro
Saribro

mx_tifosi wrote:eDiT:
Does anyone know the reason for this sidewall design? Thanks in advance. But do you think its testing for next seasons markings for the different compounds? :?
<image>
Actually, I'm a lot more interested in the front wing endplate design on that car :). Haven't seen anyone use a fin of that size or shape before.

donskar
donskar

GTO, I'm afraid you're right about Kimi. I think he was a better driver than Massa BEFORE he won the WDC, but it SEEMS he has achieved his goal in F1 and is now ready to move on to something new. Nothing wrong with that, if it's true.

I just hope he doesn't get so sloppy/distracted that he has an accident. And I also hope I'm wrong and he storms back at the end of this season like he did last year.

IF he does go, I just can't see Alonso and Massa on the same team.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

casper
casper

However stylized the Bridgetone Potenza tires were, it did not help improve Honda's performance accoring to the Autosport article here http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70300,
The Briton admitted he had problems to get the tyres up to working temperature, but was hopeful there was still something that could be done for tomorrow.

"It was very hard to get heat into the tyres in the cool and damp conditions, which meant that I had little front grip which is particularly difficult here given the cambers in the corners. We also struggled with understeer," he added.

axle
axle

GTO wrote:They do not currently use double headed arrow. Look at photo of Ferrai above. Directional arrow is clearly seen. The way it is designed, this new test tire marking on Honda is NOT v. clear - either for fan in stands or car mechanic who has to install wheel. Needs more thought at the drawing board. If that wheel was off the car, it's not clear which side of car to put it on.
You're going to have to edit that photo and mark what you're on about as there is NO directional markings on it as far as I can see.
- Axle

modbaraban
modbaraban

GTO wrote:
modbaraban wrote:Why would Honda test specific tyres if they won't be able to use them?
That's why I said they might be wasting money. :P
They can't be that stupid :lol:
GTO wrote:
modbaraban wrote:My view is that's just a test of a new way of marking softer compound tyres for the next season with non-grooved tyres (hence no white groove).
If so, the markings are no way near to being distinguishable from regular ones, esp. to fans sitting in bleachers.
Remember the AUS GP last year? There was a single white dot on the sidewall of a softer tyre! I'm happy they started experimenting now rather than in actual races next year :wink:

Hardly any talk bout McLaren's new rear wing

Also I heard that Trulli and Glock unveiled their iQ :-k

donskar
donskar

Hamilton on pole. Kimi fourth, more than a half second behind. . . .

Expect rumors of Alonso doing a seat-fitting at Ferrari?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

modbaraban
modbaraban

donskar wrote:Hamilton on pole. Kimi fourth, more than a half second behind. . . .

Expect rumors of Alonso doing a seat-fitting at Ferrari?
Montezemolo confirmed the current lineup for 2009 just this week.

McLaren are looking for double if the weather stays the same. They have clearly have advantage when the temperature goes low.

coreybaxter
coreybaxter

modbaraban I think that is the same rear wing the Mclaren Mercedes used in Canada...

bar555
bar555

coreybaxter wrote:modbaraban I think that is the same rear wing the Mclaren Mercedes used in Canada...

I think you are right ,
this is the rear wing used by Mc Laren in Canada
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

modbaraban
modbaraban

My bad. Even the gurney tab is the same.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I can't believe the Honda's are running down there with the Force India's, it amazes me every time. Comes to show what a team can and cannot do even with a great amount of history and resources. And I guess I was sort of expecting a red car on pole, but as presumed, the temperature did not play towards their favor. Congrats to Hamilton for yet another great performance, as he has taken one more step ahead of his teammate.

Here are some great comparison pics from qualy of a McLaren and a Ferrari, they are so similar yet so different at the same time. Great stuff.

http://motorsport.com/photos/f1/2008/be ... p-0694.jpg

And for 'Principessa', 'Tomba', and whichever other member(s) who might be attending this GP, have loads of fun and try to bring back some great pics.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.