Fully coloured tyre walls?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of fully coloured tyre walls?

Poll ended at 29 Jun 2011, 01:06

Great idea to differentiate the the different tyres.
38%
The current/old markings are/were fine.
22%
Fully coloured tyre walls will look hideous.
13%
I want every compound to have fully coloured walls in/ou.
8%
Just bin the silver tyre markings.
3%
Formula 1 cars are colourful enough. Keep them black!
10%
I don't care!
5%

Total votes: 60

D'Leh
D'Leh

Re: New Pirelli Tyre Markings

I'll never understand why they tried so many versions even under Bridgestone. The colored sidewall in ChampCar/IndyCar is very simple and very easy to understand and see for everyone. Instead they tried all kinds of stupid, hard to see stuff like the white groove and so on. Why?!

The American solution really is awesome. They even used the colored sidewalls to indicate the cars that are still in the contention for the championship at late stages of the season. And it worked. It's not shameful to learn from the Americans how to present something to the spectators/TV viewers. That's one thing the Americans do handle smartly.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Spot the difference. Pirelli's stripe is too thin, they need a thicker stripe. Problem solved.

Richard
Richard

Agreed, a thicker stripe. Also only put the stripe on the softer tyre used at the event and the intermediate rain tyre. Then it is a simple case of stripe or no stripe, as opposed to having to figure out the colour coding.

FrukostScones

richard_leeds wrote:Agreed, a thicker stripe. Also only put the stripe on the softer tyre used at the event and the intermediate rain tyre. Then it is a simple case of stripe or no stripe, as opposed to having to figure out the colour coding.
So they have to produce soft tyres with and without stripe??? Like Bridgestone did with a green magic-marker (because the soft were mostly the option, but sometimes the prime, like in 2009)

I dont think that the colourchart is too difficult, If I remember correctly:
yellow-soft, red-supersoft, silver-hard, white-medium, orange-intermediate, blue-wet.... damn, orange-wet, blue-intermediate.

But the commentators will tell us this(meaning of the colours) anyway, what they cant tell us is, on what tyres the drivers are when they also can't tell them apart correctly.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Fil

FrukostScones wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Agreed, a thicker stripe. Also only put the stripe on the softer tyre used at the event and the intermediate rain tyre. Then it is a simple case of stripe or no stripe, as opposed to having to figure out the colour coding.
So they have to produce soft tyres with and without stripe???
They're not produced with the stripes anyway. They are painted on at the actual event. That's why the options had a silver stripe, and not yellow as it should have been - Pirelli's yellow marker pens got delayed getting shipped over to China.

So yes, just stripe the race's Options, and leave it at that. Easy.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

FrukostScones

Fil wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
So they have to produce soft tyres with and without stripe???
They're not produced with the stripes anyway. They are painted on at the actual event. That's why the options had a silver stripe, and not yellow as it should have been - Pirelli's yellow marker pens got delayed getting shipped over to China.

So yes, just stripe the race's Options, and leave it at that. Easy.
I know (as yellow markers why sold out in China they used a white/silver marker to paint them, funny wasn't it? :lol: )!
But as people are requesting wider stripes I dont think it is practical to paint them on manually at the Grand Prix week-end.
Also this would ridicule Pirelli original colour strategy (if you just paint a stripe on the softer tyre/option to make people notice it).
And you don't want to look amateurish in the most professional motor sports environment on planet earth.

Let see what they bring.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Had plenty of good races in the past with no need to add extra paint, glitter, or whatever else on primes and options.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I believe they intended to only ever stripe the options, I'd be happy to acknowledge a source that says otherwise... they have never stripped both compounds? and never will.

The colours are just to add a bit of extra insight.

Pandamasque

Again if you make the options more oval shaped, then we'd easily see that the more blurry cars run on options.

Tufty
Tufty

Pandamasque wrote:Again if you make the options more oval shaped, then we'd easily see that the more blurry cars run on options.
Interesting idea... can't see it being too popular in the Paddock though :wink:
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars, thinking "where the hell is the ceiling?!"

FrukostScones

Does this look hideous?

Pandamasque

That looks fine and is a very sensible idea. White or pirelli-yellow would be better though.

raymondu999

To me the indycar (is that indycar? 2 posts up?) thing is basically like what they had in Shanghai for Pirelli; just a thicker line. But I thought Pirelli were looking at bringing an entirely colored sidewall? (which I might add would look butt ugly) I could be wrong on that.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Steven
Owner

Re: Fully coloured tyre walls?

Topic split from actualy tyre markings that Pirelli will use.
To discuss those, please check viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9977

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: Fully coloured tyre walls?

Split seems kind of silly? Should the topic not just have been renamed to simple "pirelli tyre markings" ?

Now if I want to quote the first half of the discussion I have to come back to this thread :S