Fully coloured tyre walls?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of fully coloured tyre walls?

Poll ended at 29 Jun 2011, 01:06

Great idea to differentiate the the different tyres.
38%
The current/old markings are/were fine.
22%
Fully coloured tyre walls will look hideous.
13%
I want every compound to have fully coloured walls in/ou.
8%
Just bin the silver tyre markings.
3%
Formula 1 cars are colourful enough. Keep them black!
10%
I don't care!
5%

Total votes: 60

FrukostScones

Fully coloured tyre walls?

In Istanbul will see new tyre markings on the Pirelli tyres. Some sources say only the softer tyre "the option"(quite obsolete term in 2011) will get a fully coloured tyre wall, other sources say all tyre compounds will have a fully coloured outside and maybe inside tyre wall.
Maybe just like the "Redwall-tyre" which was/is? used in Champcar:

I like this idea very much!

(I proposed this idea to Pirelli and they were very kind and replied, though I don't think that my advice made any difference. But back in 2008, after I wrote to Honda in 2007 and told them to add writings and stripes to their infamous next "Earth Car" they just did this....strange. I still wonder if my email had anything to do with this... :lol:

But some don't like this idea!

taken from planetf1 forum:
As far as TV is concerned I rely on the commentators to tell me who's on what tyre. I prefer not to focus on tyre sidewalls. I just don't find them interesting :)
This really is silly. There was nothing wrong with the stripe...it was very clear even on a computer monitor. The problem was that they had different stripe colors to the lettering. Why not do the letters and stripe the same color? The whole sidewall will make these cars even more laughable.
Didn't Bridgestone think of colouring the entire sidewall back in 2009 - and all the teams didnt agree on it because it clashed with their liveries?
Leave the side walls black , coloured tyres look stupid . The small stripe on the softs works for me.
I can see these current markings without a problem. I think the cars will look hideous with white walls. I don't see why they don't adopt Bridgestones idea if people are still struggling!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Pandamasque

Re: New Pirelli Tyre Markings

F1 is too colourful as it is. They should use more creative shapes. Why not make square ones as the prime and triangular ones as the option?

FrukostScones

Pandamasque wrote:F1 is too colourful as it is. They should use more creative shapes. Why not make square ones as the prime and triangular ones as the option?
Maybe this shape would be fine:

Don't forget, You have 2 votes!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

raymondu999

I think they hit the nail on the head with the China markings (silver stripe around the outside). I know it was Bridgestone's thing, but why change a formula that works great?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I would like to see the coloured side wall before I make a judgement. However, having a different system every race so far is not helping the fans.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

How about having concrete tyres for the hards and window putty for the softs?

With the number of pit stops per race reaching numbers that the average human mind cannot comprehend, anything that makes the tyres clearer to the viewer is a good thing. Just wish they would settle on one colour system!

lebesset
lebesset

raymondu999 wrote:I think they hit the nail on the head with the China markings (silver stripe around the outside). I know it was Bridgestone's thing, but why change a formula that works great?
+1
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

gray41

how about coloured wall on the softer of the two compounds and no markings on harder? bridgestone didnt need 6 different tyre colours for each compound
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

bot6
bot6

I think they should colour the actual rubber of the tyres. That way, there would be lots of funny colorful shapes on the track as it rubbers in...

raymondu999

I just had an image in my head of pink lockup smoke. LOL
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gray41

http://youtu.be/0n7PEHwT3j4

maybe pirelli will look on youtube?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

wesley123
wesley123

raymondu999 wrote:I think they hit the nail on the head with the China markings (silver stripe around the outside). I know it was Bridgestone's thing, but why change a formula that works great?
I personally found that really hard to see, I am for fully coloured walls.

Then we take for example;
Supersoft; Yellow wall
Soft; Green wall
Medium; Blue wall
Hard; no coloured wall
Wets; White wall
Full wet; pink wall

Personally if you want to you have to make it or easy noticable or not noticable at all, not in between, I also want to be able to see when in T-Cam what tyres the car has on.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

I'm not convinced that a whole sidewall flushed in a certain color will look good - it would look butt ugly methinks. Can we all just go for Martin Brundle's segmentation then? :mrgreen:

For those who don't watch the BBC feed on F1 races, he said that we should think of the colors (from hard to supersoft, silver, brown, yellow, red) as knife, toast, butter and jam
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CyleB

i say go with a white or silver side wall on the softer of the 2 compounds that way its noticeable and doesn't detract from the cars appearance too much
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

ringo

The walls will be striped i think. The bands will connect the Pirelli and P zero markings.
Imagine 3 fat bands in the middle of the tyre wall as wide as the branding.
For Sure!!