Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP W02

NewtonMeter wrote:The outlets are gone too....
http://www.sutton-images.com/preview.as ... 11ma27.jpg
do I see a radius from sidepod to floor ? :shock:

Giblet
Giblet

adrianjordan wrote:
Anyway, we're a little OT and just making work for the fine mods around here...which I realise this is exacerbating.
Giblet wrote:
This is very true.
Mercedes 2011 thread has been populated again. The flexi wing talk is in there as well, I'll move it later when I have some time to read all the messages.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

BrawnGP
BrawnGP

I thought the cars were meant to be slower this year????? i only say because Schumi's time was quicker than his Q3 P6 last year at Barcelona 1:21.294 (Webbers pole lap 1:19.995). Or is it down to the ARW being used all round the track as they will be able to do in quali??

Still proves the cars better than last years!!!!! Go Nico!!!!

mith

Barcelona winter test times are usually faster than those from the race.

Going back on topic... Finally they've upgraded that old wing ;) I see new cascades, new endplates and the slit in lowest part of the wing, which they were trying in previous test.

King Six
King Six

BrawnGP wrote:I thought the cars were meant to be slower this year????? i only say because Schumi's time was quicker than his Q3 P6 last year at Barcelona 1:21.294 (Webbers pole lap 1:19.995). Or is it down to the ARW being used all round the track as they will be able to do in quali??

Alot of the lap time is down to the ARW and the KERS, yeah. Without those, and the diffusers being neutered, minimum weight increased etc.. and the plain fact that these Pirelli tyres are slower than Bridgestone...you'd be looking at a healthy load of seconds there.

The ARW and KERS are big factors, so I wouldn't be too surprised if lap times are being smashed during qualifying. Race time will be much longer, more pit stops, slower cars and the ARW being tied down to a set of rules for races.

Fast tracks like Spa, Sepang, Silverstone I'm expecting better Q3/Pole times.

tjaeger
tjaeger

kris wrote:Looks like a new Front wing to me. Did they put Schumacher on the old wing when they sent it out for his fastest lap? But have to agree AMS would know better

As per AMuS they put Schuey back to the old wing for the fast runs as he was not happy with the balance of the car when running the new wing.
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

analist01
analist01

I wonder if their's a link to watch this live...some kind of live stream ??

Ferraripilot

King Six wrote:
BrawnGP wrote:I thought the cars were meant to be slower this year????? i only say because Schumi's time was quicker than his Q3 P6 last year at Barcelona 1:21.294 (Webbers pole lap 1:19.995). Or is it down to the ARW being used all round the track as they will be able to do in quali??

Alot of the lap time is down to the ARW and the KERS, yeah. Without those, and the diffusers being neutered, minimum weight increased etc.. and the plain fact that these Pirelli tyres are slower than Bridgestone...you'd be looking at a healthy load of seconds there.

The ARW and KERS are big factors, so I wouldn't be too surprised if lap times are being smashed during qualifying. Race time will be much longer, more pit stops, slower cars and the ARW being tied down to a set of rules for races.

Fast tracks like Spa, Sepang, Silverstone I'm expecting better Q3/Pole times.

The general formula I go by is to add .800 of a second to these cars compared to last year. TIres, DDD, weight all make a difference. RB will not be as fast as last year. Their car last year could go flat out through the triple left hander in Turkey and I highly doubt that will be the case this year.

tjaeger
tjaeger

Schuey is done, they switch to Rosberg for the rest of today. Guess he wants to have a run in the dry as well.
Did Merc do any Race simulations since they introduced the changes? Wonder what their time is on race setup?
Last edited by tjaeger on 11 Mar 2011, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Use the testing thread guys, Keep this thread for everything specific to the W02. :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

Ferraripilot

rear wing. note full length beam wing now

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-photos/67 ... 55/#170955

747heavy

still pretty hot under the sidepods (note discoloured silver paint)
wonder what this means for races with >30°C air temp

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

zgred

King Six
King Six

Someone was showing it on Twitter yesterday, looking at the cars images today I've noticed it too. The Mercedes logo seems raised on the nose of the car. Embossed or whatever the term is.

Surely not good for the aero, I mean, probably not disastrous...but not good at the least

chillah
chillah

:lol:

This is the most important part of the car.