Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Red Bull RB6

mep wrote:Ok, Ok I agree.
You can make differences to the temperatures with these things.
Do you think that is the mayor point here?
I thought the discussion is more about why one is dark and the other one shiny.
Just_a_fan wrote:
delsando wrote:What material are the Red bull exhausts made of , seems different form the Ferrari(steel)?

Could this material be advantageous, such as retaining heat longer for unburnt fuel to burn off during throttle lift.
I'd bet they're made of the same high temp alloy, e.g. inconel, just that the light and angle isn't quite the same in each photo. They may run at slightly different temps too which might affect colour. Or they might have done more miles with one than the other.

Both exhaust show colours from heat. Just on the RB they are not that visible because of the darker colour. I don't think the reason why one is bright and one shiny has anything to do with the temperatures or how often it got used. The dark colour is just to uniform to be heat related.
I think we can’t even say which one got used more. Something shiny always looks new but on the dark one I see less blue colours.
We should search the difference in the material and coating they have and we should look what advantages they bring.

Ferrari:electropolishing ,REdbull :cold drawn no further treatment IMO the more open surface will tend to oxidise more than a polished surface.

aral
aral

marcush. Electroplating (if that is what you mean) actually causes stress fractures in steel. That is why you wont see chrome wires in historic racing, only painted wires.

outer_bongolia

Hey Mark! Here's your new wing! :mrgreen:

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

godlameroso

I have a general type question, can you use space between the front wing elements to change the proportion of airflow going to certain parts downstream? If so what areas would be desirable to have airflow go to or not go to, and for what reasons?

I mean obviously you would want some airflow to be channeled to the brake ducts radiators and the rear wing, but what other areas that are not so obvious?

Also,generally speaking, does the space between wing elements add more drag or reduce it?
Saishū kōnā

strad

Man you guys love to pick apart the minutiae
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Curtsey of nextgen-auto.com:

aral
aral

imightbewrong wrote:Curtsey of nextgen-auto.com:
Beautiful detail!

marcush.
marcush.

gilgen wrote:marcush. Electroplating (if that is what you mean) actually causes stress fractures in steel. That is why you wont see chrome wires in historic racing, only painted wires.
electropolishing looks like this : example is ti but to compare this is not plating!

http://www.russamer.com/ElectropolishedSample6.jpg

strad

wiki:
It is often described as the reverse of electroplating
I find the shot of the splitter interesting...I just love the attention to most detail...but then I also often marvel at what I think they overlook.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

wesley123
wesley123

strad wrote:I find the shot of the splitter interesting...I just love the attention to most detail...but then I also often marvel at what I think they overlook.
Actually it is the whole strength of the RB, it's plain simple and clean shape, it doesnt really got that much detail.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

strad

I think I understand what you mean, but what you say is funny..attention to every minor detail equals superior performance.
Sir Stirling Moss

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

The Ferrari exhaust is ceramic coated, the red bull exhaust is not. End of story. Its not turning blue because its rich or lean. Ferrari has at least 50 people working on their motors and you know its running perfect. They turn blue because there running 18,000 rpm and glow bright red. Thats it... theres no other underlying secret... moving on

raymondu999

Isn't that the OLD wing with only 1 slot? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

Hockenheim is low downforce so i think the 1 slot is the one that fits this track.
For Sure!!

crbassassin

ringo wrote:Hockenheim is low downforce so i think the 1 slot is the one that fits this track.
you are talking about the old layout