2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

So the big difference in speed at end of straight is due to the DRS, not the juice running out, so again here RBR has pretty incredible DRS, or are running with more wing... whatever it is the speed is identical until DRS is open, and then RBR opens up a gap.

2022 LEC v VER:

* Interesting that T15 was a great corner for Ferrari also last year.
* SF-23 really made good improvements in straight line speed compared to 2022 where straight line speed is meant as the whole acceleration curve vs just top end as that's actually not so different here.

Genuine improvement, here's LEC v LEC 2022/23 (green 2023):

* A little faster in the corners
* A lot faster in every straight

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 17:23
So the big difference in speed at end of straight is due to the DRS, not the juice running out, so again here RBR has pretty incredible DRS, or are running with more wing... whatever it is the speed is identical until DRS is open, and then RBR opens up a gap.

2022 LEC v VER:
https://i.imgur.com/WKFIkuB.jpeg

Your figure and labels are showing the "2022" LEC vs VER. Is this intentional/typo? Or are you showing last year on purpose?

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 17:30
dialtone wrote:

2022 LEC v VER:

Your figure and labels are showing the "2022" LEC vs VER. Is this intentional/typo? Or are you showing last year on purpose?
Yeah, on purpose, just wanted to see how their lap was last year for reference.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 17:33
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 17:30
dialtone wrote:

2022 LEC v VER:

Yeah, on purpose, just wanted to see how their lap was last year for reference.
okay understood. oh and don't forget that the DRS zone was shorted by 100m this year, so the top speed improvement is actually even bigger when you offset last year down, to account for the longer DRS zone that was available at the time.

LM10
LM10

dialtone wrote:

2022 LEC v VER:

* Interesting that T15 was a great corner for Ferrari also last year.
* SF-23 really made good improvements in straight line speed compared to 2022 where straight line speed is meant as the whole acceleration curve vs just top end as that's actually not so different here.

Genuine improvement, here's LEC v LEC 2022/23 (green 2023):

https://i.imgur.com/b31ryMo.jpeg

* A little faster in the corners
* A lot faster in every straight
Once again, thank you for the work you put in to show us those interesting analyses. Highly appreciated.

Ferrari seems to have finally found the sweet spot in the setup. The news of hard work done in the simulator with numerous different setup options were true it seems. Even the performance gain compared to the F1-75 in Baku were surprisingly accurate. The SF-23 was 1.156 seconds faster than the F1-75 and 1.2 seconds was the time which was reported.

Though I must say that if the reported and actually gained times did not match each other coincidentally, I'm asking myself how and why such inside informations leak.

Andi76
Andi76

dialtone wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 16:33
Fact is, LEC got on pole thanks to S2 and a very good S1. Both of those sectors are the slower stuff where traction means a lot, this was NOT the case in Bahrain. There's reason to really believe Ferrari found something to improve the car over the break via improvements in setup because their S3 is equally strong as RBR.

Will it be enough for the race? Before seeing telemetry or any race sim I highly doubt it, but that should put them clear 2nd best car.

EDIT: SAI on the other hand is pretty inexcusable right now and given LEC's rumors of looking for some leverage for new contract negotiation I wouldn't risk losing a guy that is so much faster in quali/race on average.
I think this can be explained quite well by the development history of the SF-23, at least if the rumors I have heard are true, and it would make sense. Binotto and Sanchez wanted the SF-23 to continue in the same direction as the F1-75. However, which is said to have been one of the reasons for Binotto's falling out with Vigna and also for Sanchez's decision to leave, Vigna must have interfered (a very normal practice at Ferrari since 2007 and before 1996) in the development and demanded lower drag. A Ferrari was not likely to be outrun by a Red Bull on the straights. This messed up a lot of the SF-23 and downforce was sacrificed in favor of drag, hence Vigna's "from the fastest Ferrari" comment at the presentation. I think there was a turnaround (and Vigna made it happen based on the results) and they went after downforce, as Sanchez and Binotto actually wanted, which brought the SF-23 and its concept back into balance. The fact that they went back to Rory Byrne six weeks ago and are listening to him again certainly helps. So everything would fit together. But first we'll have to wait and see.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 17:47
dialtone wrote:
Fact is, LEC got on pole thanks to S2 and a very good S1. Both of those sectors are the slower stuff where traction means a lot, this was NOT the case in Bahrain. There's reason to really believe Ferrari found something to improve the car over the break via improvements in setup because their S3 is equally strong as RBR.

Will it be enough for the race? Before seeing telemetry or any race sim I highly doubt it, but that should put them clear 2nd best car.

EDIT: SAI on the other hand is pretty inexcusable right now and given LEC's rumors of looking for some leverage for new contract negotiation I wouldn't risk losing a guy that is so much faster in quali/race on average.
I think this can be explained quite well by the development history of the SF-23, at least if the rumors I have heard are true, and it would make sense. Binotto and Sanchez wanted the SF-23 to continue in the same direction as the F1-75. However, which is said to have been one of the reasons for Binotto's falling out with Vigna and also for Sanchez's decision to leave, Vigna must have interfered (a very normal practice at Ferrari since 2007 and before 1996) in the development and demanded lower drag. A Ferrari was not likely to be outrun by a Red Bull on the straights. This messed up a lot of the SF-23 and downforce was sacrificed in favor of drag, hence Vigna's "from the fastest Ferrari" comment at the presentation. I think there was a turnaround (and Vigna made it happen based on the results) and they went after downforce, as Sanchez and Binotto actually wanted, which brought the SF-23 and its concept back into balance. The fact that they went back to Rory Byrne six weeks ago and are listening to him again certainly helps. So everything would fit together. But first we'll have to wait and see.
Doesn't it seem a little too convenient to give Vigna credit for this turn around, when he ruined it in the first place according to your message? Ferrari are succeeding in spite of him...not because of him.

jambuka
jambuka

Andi76 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Source on Rory Byrne involvement ?

jambuka
jambuka

Would have been fantastic to see the performance if we had a single pylon wing with similar profile as used today.

Andi76
Andi76

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 17:56
Andi76 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Doesn't it seem a little too convenient to give Vigna credit for this turn around, when he ruined it in the first place according to your message? Ferrari are succeeding in spite of him...not because of him.
Sorry - my bad. I wanted to write Vigna let it happen. Not made it! Huge mistake from my side. Sorry.
jambuka wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 18:00
Andi76 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Source on Rory Byrne involvement ?
Rory Byrne.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 18:07

Sorry - my bad. I wanted to write Vigna let it happen. Not made it! Huge mistake from my side. Sorry.
Yes no worries, it's a very big difference :lol: . As I said before, this guy's meddling seems to ruin Ferrari's momentum more often than not.

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 16:58
LM10 wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 16:48
Toto just said that Ferrari was on another level in the twisty parts.
Leclerc was :D

Anyway good show today. Clearly they got the baseline setup right which was crucial.

Now i'm curious to see how we'll perform in the race. A podium on pure pace would be a huge improvement compared to the first few races !
Well we where on for a podium in Bahrain and I think in Australia we could have done much better if both cars were running. I think podium there as well in a straight race.

Andi76
Andi76

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 18:09
Andi76 wrote:

Yes no worries, it's a very big difference :lol: . As I said before, this guy's meddling seems to ruin Ferrari's momentum more often than not.
Absolutely! And in fact, this constant interference is Ferrari's biggest problem. And until that stops - Ferrari will never win a world title. You have to include Elkan here. Unfortunately, I don't see any chance of a new Brawn/Byrne and Schumacher axis that can stop this, as was the case back then.

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

Give this boy a car.
Please give this boy a car.
When it comes to talent, I don't know anyone better than him.
8 tenths to his partner.
Seeing the frustrated and disappointed faces of Perez and Verstappen made my day.
Both of them drive a spaceship.
Beyond the technique, talent and courage are the only valid attributes.
That's why we love heroes.

deadhead

Andi76 wrote:
Rory Byrne.
There was a quote from the man himself?