2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:33
Xyz22 wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:31
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 19:52

This circuit turned out to be quite low deg for everyone. Ocon did the entire race on the hard tire.

As I said previously, Jeddah was the only actual bad performance.
Finishing behind RB is a bad performance if your goal is to win. Having said that, clearly Jeddah was the outlier and was way worse than Bahrain, Melbourne and Baku.

It's also true that they probably understood the car a bit better and the performance was even better here.
Yes "bad" in relative terms :lol: . and yeah I believe the drivers say the car is nicer to drive now, but I don't think the setup changes made the car fundamentally a couple tenths faster. They still need upgrades for that.

Leclerc was in striking distance of pole in Bahrain, but never did a 2nd run. The car is now more manageable over the stint, but we have seen flashes of the inherent pace everywhere already except for Jeddah.

This is what they have. Leclerc when he's driving well is going to qualify miles ahead of AMR, but then have to face Alonso in the race. Sainz will continue to pick up the rear, fending off the Mercs some ways behind.
Yep, this is why i said Ferrari did a bad (terrible) job on this car up until now. They were the second-best car last year (bar some specific tracks where MB was better) and this year in race trim they are probably still behind AM and MB overall. They need to make huge improvements to be the second-best car in race trim. Qualifying performance doesn't matter much if you are a sitting duck in the race.

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:

This circuit turned out to be quite low deg for everyone. Ocon did the entire race on the hard tire.

Hard tires on Jeddah was the weird outlier, Leclerc got a front row(if not for his penalty) and made quite good progress in a soft stint.
Then Ferrari went for hards on both cars and they just sat there waiting for the race to end unable to keep up with the Mercs (never mind Alonso).

The only guy (Red Bull excluded) who could trouble Charles in Bahrain was Fernando, and what we saw today was a repeat of that.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

Sevach wrote:
01 May 2023, 02:11
AR3-GP wrote:

Hard tires on Jeddah was the weird outlier, Leclerc got a front row(if not for his penalty) and made quite good progress in a soft stint.
Then Ferrari went for hards on both cars and they just sat there waiting for the race to end unable to keep up with the Mercs (never mind Alonso).

The only guy (Red Bull excluded) who could trouble Charles in Bahrain was Fernando, and what we saw today was a repeat of that.
remember that AM got problems on the DRS.
without that problems in qualy, alonso would have been p4 in qualy and i think taht he would have overtake leclerc on the race

Sevach
Sevach

Alonsismo wrote:
01 May 2023, 12:27
Sevach wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

without that problems in qualy, alonso would have been p4 in qualy and i think taht he would have overtake leclerc on the race
Alonso was past Sainz immediately after the SC, 1s behind Charles and had no one in between them, he had nearly 40 laps to do something.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Agreed. I thought when Alonso first closed the gap from 3.5S down to within DRS range Charles was a sitting duck, however I’m not sure if Charles found more pace or if Alonso had put too much into his tyres closing the gap, either way Charles managed to open the gap gradually back to 4s. The one factor which may have played into Ferraris hands was the weather changing and cooling the track, deg might have killed them if it had not cooled, but we will never know.
I do fear in Miami unless Ferrari bring some real upgrades to address the deg then the heat of that track could cook the tyres far quicker than RB AM and even MB.

On the topic of tyres, seems far too many 1 stop strategies these days, they need to look at doing something to reduce the number of laps teams are able to get out of these tyres as lack of different strategies does nothing for the sport. That being said not this year, as RB would have an even bigger advantage

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Really surprised me to see the Ferrari were the 2 slowest cars in the race. And nearly 20 kmh slower than the fastest. Seems to combat the initial issues they have had to revert to running more DF and drag to get performance but that is obviously costing lap time and leaving them vulnerable against RB on the straights. Interestingly the fastest car was also Ferrari powered so seems the PU isn’t the problem

scuderiabrandon

Vinlarr89 wrote:
01 May 2023, 14:53
Really surprised me to see the Ferrari were the 2 slowest cars in the race. And nearly 20 kmh slower than the fastest. Seems to combat the initial issues they have had to revert to running more DF and drag to get performance but that is obviously costing lap time and leaving them vulnerable against RB on the straights. Interestingly the fastest car was also Ferrari powered so seems the PU isn’t the problem
Neither drivers had tow or DRS for the majority of the race.

Bomber_Pilot

Ferrari on the hunt for new technical staff.

https://scuderiafans.com/f1-ferrari-red ... maranello/

jambuka
jambuka

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-identi ... full-tank/
So the ridge height increases when there is heavy fuel load. Don't think only rear and front wing upgrades will solve this. Seems like definitely need the suspension upgrade ASAP.

chrisc90

jambuka wrote:
01 May 2023, 20:12
So the ridge height increases when there is heavy fuel load. Don't think only rear and front wing upgrades will solve this. Seems like definitely need the suspension upgrade ASAP.
How does removing weight lower the ride height?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
01 May 2023, 21:47
jambuka wrote:

Reducing the fuel mass allows them to take the corner faster (F = ma). Taking the corner faster means that the aero load itself is higher because higher speed generates more downforce. The higher aero load pushes the floor closer to the ground. The car closer to the ground generates even more aero load. It's a positive feedback loop.

Not the first thing that comes to mind, but it tracks.

I

Xwang
Xwang

AR3-GP wrote:
01 May 2023, 21:52
chrisc90 wrote:
jambuka wrote:

Reducing the fuel mass allows them to take the corner faster (F = ma). Taking the corner faster means that the aero load itself is higher because higher speed generates more downforce. The higher aero load pushes the floor closer to the ground. The car closer to the ground generates even more aero load. It's a positive feedback loop.

I
It makes sense, what doesn't make a lot of sense is the fact that something like this should be catched by the lap simulation tools that I suppose each F1 team uses. Or maybe the one Ferrari uses is the worst one or it is used very badly.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xwang wrote:
01 May 2023, 21:58
AR3-GP wrote:
01 May 2023, 21:52
chrisc90 wrote:

I
It makes sense, what doesn't make a lot of sense is the fact that something like this should be catched by the lap simulation tools that I suppose each F1 team uses. Or maybe the one Ferrari uses is the worst one or it is used very badly.
To be honest, I'm baffled by Ferrari's "epiphany" as well. The timing is strange. It's quite an oversight.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

Sevach wrote:
01 May 2023, 12:40
Alonsismo wrote:
Sevach wrote:

Alonso was past Sainz immediately after the SC, 1s behind Charles and had no one in between them, he had nearly 40 laps to do something.
is not the same situation.
if alonso started p4, he could have chased leclerc on the restart instead of sainz.

dialtone
dialtone

2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Alonsismo wrote:
Sevach wrote:
01 May 2023, 12:40
Alonsismo wrote:

is not the same situation.
if alonso started p4, he could have chased leclerc on the restart instead of sainz.
How did he lose 4sec while just behind LEC if he was so much faster?