2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

sushantasapkota1 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 00:39
Jolle wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 00:05
djones wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 23:59
If Lewis takes a new engine is it just the 5 places again?

I wonder if it would be good to do that as it keeps him away from Max at the start and in theory he would easily make his way through the cars in front with all the straights and acceleration zones.
On pole he would have one redbull car next to him or right behind him. In fifth/sixth hè could have up to three around him.
Pole is the best place to be.
If i was Lewis.. I rather be away from max at start lol.
Nah, hopefully it will be like Saudi at the start. As its also a short run to turn 1, theres not so much chance a car from 3rd being near 1st, especially if the car in 2nd gets in the way. The only reason Max ever got near Lewis last weekend was that red flag timed perfectly for Max. Otherwise Lewis would have walked away with Bottas in tow.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

komninosm
komninosm

Jolle wrote:
djones wrote:

I wonder if it would be good to do that as it keeps him away from Max at the start and in theory he would easily make his way through the cars in front with all the straights and acceleration zones.
On pole he would have one redbull car next to him or right behind him. In fifth/sixth hè could have up to three around him.
It's sad that we have to think like that now.
They turned F1 into demolition derby with not punishing properly in Brazil and Qatar and Saudi...
Even the drivers are confused at the rules now. And all for the "show".

Jolle
Jolle

komninosm wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 00:51
Jolle wrote:
djones wrote:

It's sad that we have to think like that now.
They turned F1 into demolition derby with not punishing properly in Brazil and Qatar and Saudi...
Even the drivers are confused at the rules now. And all for the "show".
Nothing to do with show, all with trying to win. A show would be a Cars style tie breaker of 20 laps with only Hamilton and Verstappen on track.

This dates back to the origins of F1, where you race as a team. Not that Gasly, Tsunoda or Perez will punt him off, but they sure can make him work for it (and make him take risks he doesn’t want to take).

langedweil

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 00:45
Nah, hopefully it will be like Saudi at the start. As its also a short run to turn 1, theres not so much chance a car from 3rd being near 1st, especially if the car in 2nd gets in the way. The only reason Max ever got near Lewis last weekend was that red flag timed perfectly for Max. Otherwise Lewis would have walked away with Bottas in tow.
You don't even opt for a Hungarian style start ?
HuggaWugga !

Exumer

In theory Lewis can take new ICE, get the pole, drop 5 places and then overtake everyone with ease and win the race.

Unfortunately, reality could be way more complicated than theory, so many variables therefore I believe the best possible strategy for LH and MB is to lock the front row, nail the start as in Saudi and then pull away from MV. This scenario minimises any potential danger, apart from the start obviously but you will have to get through it anyway and the lower on the grid you start the more chances for any potential crashes/hits/broken front wings/damaged tyres etc.

I just hope for the clean race on track, between the white lines. Not sure MV thinks the same way, judging by last 3 races.

oT v1
oT v1

Love the changes to the layout, especially the one after dummy/secondary pit straight. I’m not too sure about the one leading to the long back straight though, it was always fun seeing the difference in lines drivers went for to hook up the exit for the long drag. DRS should be even more powerful I’m guessing.

Side question though, has RBR/Merc had any technical dnf’s this year?
The Power of Dreams

marcel171281
marcel171281

oT v1 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 10:54
Side question though, has RBR/Merc had any technical dnf’s this year?
Bottas in Monaco and Qatar. Other than that, none (the tyre in Baku not counting as a RBR technical DNF).

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Exumer wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 03:49
In theory Lewis can take new ICE, get the pole, drop 5 places and then overtake everyone with ease and win the race.

Unfortunately, reality could be way more complicated than theory, so many variables therefore I believe the best possible strategy for LH and MB is to lock the front row, nail the start as in Saudi and then pull away from MV. This scenario minimises any potential danger, apart from the start obviously but you will have to get through it anyway and the lower on the grid you start the more chances for any potential crashes/hits/broken front wings/damaged tyres etc.

I just hope for the clean race on track, between the white lines. Not sure MV thinks the same way, judging by last 3 races.
In theory MV can take an engine penalty as well and try to run the whole race in mode 11 with a bit more fuel, but will it be enough? Both MV and LH can take a penalty and counter it with a penalty of their own. Or maybe they've got enough confidence to maximalise current engines in pool.

The Honda engine is very reliable as it is and seems to degrade very little over the races. The Mercedes engine is a bit less reliable and degrades quicker.

Excited to see what either party will do... =D>

atanatizante

Pirelli was not informed before that these sharp kerbs were placed and said that they are looking with some concern at this race, according to the Italian version of Motorsport.com!

Those sharp kerbs are placed all over the traction zones (turn 1,5,7,12,13,14,15,16) forcing drivers to be less aggressive and don`t run over them. This could change the race strategy for at least a 2 stop race, bearing in mind that Pirelli said sharp kerbs were the main fault for the tyre failures in Qatar!

More of that, these could be the new standard kerbs in the future that would end the eternal debate of driver`s running within the limits of the track white line ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

RZS10

You know driving standards have suffered recently when the race director feels the need to quote rules from the International Sporting Code in the event notes for this race.

Last edited by RZS10 on 09 Dec 2021, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Stewards setting out their stalls. Better before than after

Edit

This was a response to a post bt RZS10 which seems to have gone missing?
Last edited by Big Tea on 09 Dec 2021, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/masi- ... i/6866644/

Masi warns F1 title rivals of possible points deduction in Abu Dhabi
Jonathan Noble 46 mins ago

In his regular event notes that are sent to all competitors ahead of the race weekend, Masi pulled out specific clauses of the FIA’s International Sporting Code that he wanted to remind teams about.

In particular he cited ISC rules relating to the behaviour of all team members, sporting conduct and the potential scope for punishments.

In the notes he pulled out:

Article 9.15.1

“The competitor shall be responsible for all acts or omissions on the part of any person taking part in, or providing a service in connection with, a competition or a championship on their behalf, including in particular their employees, direct or indirect, their drivers, mechanics, consultants, service providers, or passengers, as well as any person to whom the competitor has allowed access to the Reserved Areas.”

Article 12.2.1 – Breach of Rules and in particular Article 12.2.1.l

“Any infringement of the principles of fairness in competition, behaviour in an unsportsmanlike manner or attempt to influence the result of a competition in a way that is contrary to sporting ethics.”

Article 12.4.5

“For all the FIA championships, cups, challenges, trophies or series, the stewards may also decide to impose the following penalties: Suspension for one or more competitions, withdrawal of points for the championship, cup, challenge, trophy, series.”

Article 12.4.5.a

“Points should not be deducted separately from drivers and competitors, save in exceptional circumstances.”

The inference of Masi’s note to teams is that the FIA will be keeping a close eye on anything that it considers unsportsmanlike, and that any punishment handed down would likely affect both the drivers’ and constructors’ standings.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

That's good to see. It doesn't necessarily affect the use of a team mate to deal the DNF-inducing blow, but at least it tells the two title protagonists to behave themselves.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

kenshi_blind

I am a bit baffled to me honest by the way people both side a potential accident that might lead to a DNF for both Max and Lewis. I mean from the beginning of the season Lewis has been the one avoiding potential crashes and the only time when he did not we all know what happened . a DNF does not help me so to say that "Both" title contenders should behave is a bit rich in my opinion

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 13:35
That's good to see. It doesn't necessarily affect the use of a team mate to deal the DNF-inducing blow, but at least it tells the two title protagonists to behave themselves.
Yes it's good to see that it is being taken into consideration straight from the start,

Article 9.15.1

“The competitor shall be responsible for all acts or omissions on the part of any person taking part in, or providing a service in connection with, a competition or a championship on their behalf, including in particular their employees, direct or indirect, their drivers, mechanics, consultants, service providers, or passengers, as well as any person to whom the competitor has allowed access to the Reserved Areas.”