Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ispano6

Re: Red Bull RB18

organic wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 14:11

The indent in the floor above diffuser has been there since preseason testing. The new parts were suspension shroud & sidepod reshaping at Spa. Floor hasn't been updated since France
Good stuff, mirror surround and engine cover too. It's been stated that Max felt the upgraded floor didn't help so he's opted to go with the floor without the cut-out, and clearly that is working for him. Whether the floor was the only spec difference between the two cars remains to be seen but clearly the RB18 in Max's hands was in dominant form for SPA.

Some sources including Marca have said that the RB18 was 4kg lighter at Belgium and weighed in at 802kg and just 4kg over the minimum allowed weight of 798kg. So there's been speculation as to how that was possible since it was understood to be 8kg over the minimum weight. Any news on how that was made possible aside from the speculation of the new chassis? In 2021 Honda introduced the new ES that was lighter than the previous so perhaps there were other weight savings made aside from chassis itself.

ispano6

from the-race:

Looks like the "Belgium" floor (Perez's) has elements of the Hungary and UK floor. The Hungary floor has the raised vertical blade edge.

French GP floor does not have the vertical blade edge:

organic

Good spot. I never noticed the vertical edge to that part of the floor that appeared in Hungary

Here is a good photo showing the changes made at spa, especially those made to the sidepods

Source: F1i/Nicolas Carpenters

organic

ispano6 wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 22:00
organic wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 14:11

The indent in the floor above diffuser has been there since preseason testing. The new parts were suspension shroud & sidepod reshaping at Spa. Floor hasn't been updated since France
Good stuff, mirror surround and engine cover too. It's been stated that Max felt the upgraded floor didn't help so he's opted to go with the floor without the cut-out, and clearly that is working for him. Whether the floor was the only spec difference between the two cars remains to be seen but clearly the RB18 in Max's hands was in dominant form for SPA.

Some sources including Marca have said that the RB18 was 4kg lighter at Belgium and weighed in at 802kg and just 4kg over the minimum allowed weight of 798kg. So there's been speculation as to how that was possible since it was understood to be 8kg over the minimum weight. Any news on how that was made possible aside from the speculation of the new chassis? In 2021 Honda introduced the new ES that was lighter than the previous so perhaps there were other weight savings made aside from chassis itself.
I'm guessing the weight reduction just comes from their natural weight reduction program that's been kicking in every few races for a drop of just under 5kg. Imola, Barcelona, France and Spa I guess. Then the light chassis might be the final weight update for the season? I think the weight limit would already be reached if not for the updates they've been making raising the weight again; Merc are having a similar problem I think

chrisc90

Is that a small rear floor stay there? Never noticed that on the RB before.

ispano6

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 00:04
Good spot. I never noticed the vertical edge to that part of the floor that appeared in Hungary
Actually it looks the French GP that they introduced it but wasn't paired with the cutout/flap until Belgium.

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 00:36
Appeared in Baku and has been there since. my guess is they didnt put one there sooner is to hide that the rear floor stiffness made as much a difference as it does

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 00:45
chrisc90 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 00:36
Appeared in Baku and has been there since. my guess is they didnt put one there sooner is to hide that the rear floor stiffness made as much a difference as it does
My theory: Originally, floor stays were not legal so RB will have designed a floor that didn't require it. When floor stays became legal, they could lighten the floor layup by relying on the floor stay for stiffness. Alpine did the same thing. They started the season without the stay and then built a light weight floor that utilized the stay.

vorticism

Makes sense. I think the floor stays as delegated were a last minute addition; as wires or thin rods they aren't ideal f.e. they have little to no compressive strength. They will help with floor deflection but not necessarily with flutter since that can still occur based on the tensile load fluctuating. Floor spars/beams/joists gave RB an edge from the beginning imo.
𓄀

organic

Reprofiled high df rear wing for Zandvoort in the transition to vertical section. Looks like they trimmed some of the df compared to Barcelona/Monaco

* Was mistaken, wing level was used at Canada already
Last edited by organic on 01 Sep 2022, 13:01, edited 2 times in total.

Cassius
Cassius

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 12:53
Reprofiled high df rear wing for Zandvoort in the transition to vertical section. Looks like they trimmed some of the df compared to Barcelona/Monaco

https://i.imgur.com/MJTHYVR.jpg
Did they not use this wing in Canada already?

organic

Cassius wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 12:58
organic wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 12:53

https://i.imgur.com/MJTHYVR.jpg
Did they not use this wing in Canada already?
you're right! i thought they went med downforce at canada but was wrong

Maybe this is just their max df wing now, or they don't want to use the barcelona wing here

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Image from AMuS/Tobi Gruner
All teams will be running bigger mirrors on Friday apparently, not a fan of the look to be quite honest. Maybe its time to move to digital cameras instead of mirrors.

organic

CaribouBread wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 13:06
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbkJlyhXkAE ... ame=medium
Image from AMuS/Tobi Gruner
All teams will be running bigger mirrors on Friday apparently, not a fan of the look to be quite honest. Maybe its time to move to digital cameras instead of mirrors.
Fortunately, Grüner is mistaken. Those covers have been used all season by RB in the garage to protect the mirror. Even if they are planning to trial larger mirrors, that's not an example of how they will look. Maybe there are the real, larger mirrors beneath the cover however

Here's the same mirror cover used at Hungary:

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

This wing looks smaller than in Canada. This is not max df rear wing for sure though!