Lotus F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Richard
Richard

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2013

Any team trying to poach him at this stage would have to offer a stupid amount of money if they couldn't tempt him with previous attempts.

They'd have to induce him to break his commitment with his new team, plus compensation for the other team for breaking their contract with him, plus the political repercussions.

noname
noname

Why limit yourself to the teams currently being on the grid?

StrikeForceF1
StrikeForceF1

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Ferrari and Mclaren off the equation, Red Bull and Merc to some extent.
Asked SFI and Sauber press officers, no reply yet.

Update: haven't seen official No from Ferrari. Media experience with them shows that long standing denial usually doesn't mean true. If Alison, who is a big name, turned down offers from Mclaren and Mercedes, I don't see need for him in Red Bull, then it must be Ferrari, as he would be too expensive for middle field teams.
My bet on Ferrari.
Hi Kiril
I agree with you on this, Ferrari to me would seem logical as they have also been on a drive to get more talent into the team, notably the guys they have employed at the beginning of the season, plus Alonso is there. Well I'm hoping and praying it is Ferrari where he is going, I can see him doing very well there.

Ral
Ral

noname wrote:Why limit yourself to the teams currently being on the grid?
What, you mean like this? ;)

https://twitter.com/VincentDupontF1/sta ... 6641805315

Pup
Pup

On the other hand, the gag order on Allison makes me think that whoever is being replaced at whichever team isn't aware yet of his impending departure, or that he's not getting that big promotion he's looking forward to.

So it's entirely conceivable that Saward's source, however important a position he may be in, has been misinformed. I also don't get Saward's repeated "if he's lying, I'll never trust him again" comments - it's as if he's aiming those comments more at his source than his audience, meaning that he has his own doubts.
Shakeman wrote:My money is on Mercedes. You can never have enough TDs.
True. :lol:

stefan_
stefan_

Driving Force – Nick Chester Appointed Lotus F1 Team Technical Director

Continuing a long-standing and effective tradition, Enstone promotes from within to name next technical chief

Lotus F1 Team is pleased to announce the promotion of Nick Chester to the position of Technical Director. Nick will replace the departing James Allison, who will leave Enstone after working with the team most recently since 2005 and previously from 1991-1992 and 1994-1999.

Nick has worked at Enstone since 2000, most recently as Engineering Director, and previously as Head of Performance Systems, Head of Vehicle Performance Group and Race Engineer. Prior to coming to Enstone, Nick worked for Arrows Grand Prix for five years.

Eric Boullier, Team Principal:
“We are pleased to announce Nick Chester as our next Technical Director. Nick is well known to everyone at Enstone having been with the team for over twelve years. He is already directly involved with this and next year’s cars, ensuring a smooth transition which has been underway for some time. It’s an illustration of the strength and breadth of talent at Enstone that we can draw on personnel of the calibre of Nick and it’s something of an Enstone tradition for new Technical Directors to be promoted from within. He assumes his new position at a tremendously exciting time for the sport. The 2014 technical regulation changes present many challenges, while our current position of second place in both the Constructors’ and Drivers’ World Championships mean we cannot lose sight of this year’s development battle. Nick really has his work cut out, but we know he is more than capable of handling the tasks ahead. As a team and individually, we would all like to thank James Allison for his efforts during his three stints at Enstone and wish him all the best in his future endeavours.”

Nick Chester, Technical Director, Lotus F1 Team:
“I have worked at Enstone for over twelve years and am delighted to take on the role of Technical Director. I am grateful to the management at Enstone for the faith they have shown in promoting me to this position. I am very aware of our need to keep pushing development of this year’s E21 whilst developing next year’s car to a set of very different regulations. There are some exciting times ahead for Enstone and I’m honoured to be part of it.”

via Lotus F1™ Team
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

iotar__

Ral wrote:
ImaCobra wrote:Major blow to the team if true. Might also be a big factor in Räikkönen's decision of staying.
Joe Saward agrees with you.

While I'm happy for James Allison getting a new exciting challenge, I can't help but be a bit disappointed for Lotus if this turns out to be true. As much for their chances to hang on to Räikkönen as anything else and that in turn is because I don't think any other team will give Räikkönen the kind of relaxed environment he clearly enjoys at Enstone.

Here's hoping that Nick Chester (the guy who Joe Saward mentions as probable replacement for Allison) will be able to fill Allison's shoes and/or that Allison's own words about everyone eventually coming back to Enstone will turn out prophetic ;)
In which particular part of this article is Saward "agreeing" with OP? I don't see anything related to it. IMO it's exactly the opposite. The question is where and why. I'd be a bit surprised it if was Mercedes and not McLaren (again depending on Lowe situation and Sawards seems to be adamant about it). Where would he fit with Brawn, Bell, Costa, Willis together? Replacing Bell again? Ferrari with Fry and Tombazis - similar but makes more sense.

When the rumours about McLaren move started flowing Allison said that choice of staying depended on having an environment to build the top car. I have no reason to not believe him. It might be the case that this option of leaving was on hold and something happened that finally convinced him. It might be also something different (money or whatever) depending on destination and new position. And it was just a delay to get the season going,

Lotus has been run in an unhealthy way for some time and they reap what they sow. Let's say starting from the beginning of last season and escalating halfway through. Expression marketing driven circus detached from reality springs to mind. Looks like they can't have everything at the same time. Considering that his position wherever he goes will most likely be a bit lower it wasn't something small or separated.

Technical folks change teams often, it's not that unusual but this one is pretty big. When Densham left some British journos (I don't remember which one, Saward, Allen type) were selling doom and gloom scenarios and something opposite happened. They're not going to fall apart but especially since it's a mid season change it's going to cost them. Major change of 2014 won't help either. Just when they built their best car since 2006 "shooting themselves in the foot trend at
Lotus" (TM) continues.

Richard
Richard

From other perspectives Lotus has been an outstanding success for the last few years. They have consistency, improving pace and a proven WDC showing excellent form. I'm not sure how that is shooting yourself in the foot.

Ral
Ral

iotar__ wrote:
Ral wrote:
ImaCobra wrote:Major blow to the team if true. Might also be a big factor in Räikkönen's decision of staying.
Joe Saward agrees with you.

While I'm happy for James Allison getting a new exciting challenge, I can't help but be a bit disappointed for Lotus if this turns out to be true. As much for their chances to hang on to Räikkönen as anything else and that in turn is because I don't think any other team will give Räikkönen the kind of relaxed environment he clearly enjoys at Enstone.

Here's hoping that Nick Chester (the guy who Joe Saward mentions as probable replacement for Allison) will be able to fill Allison's shoes and/or that Allison's own words about everyone eventually coming back to Enstone will turn out prophetic ;)
In which particular part of this article is Saward "agreeing" with OP?
I could have sworn there was a line in that article saying Räikkönen has a lot of respect for Allison and this might impact his decision on whether he will want to stay.

Either I was confusing sources or maybe it was on Twitter or something. Sorry about the confusion.

ajinomoto

It's a shame that things are just starting to get really good for Lotus and is poised to be a top team again, now this happens. Mercedes or whoever it is, pulled a very clever tactic by removing key people from a rival team looking strong currently in the championship. Although much of the work really happens beneath Allison, it will certainly unsettle Lotus now and their preparations for 2014. Not to mention the wealth of info about E21's tyre management, FRIC, DRD, etc.

It will also unsettle Kimi's plans for the future.

stefan_
stefan_

Hold your "apocalyptic" prediction guys, it's not the end of the world.

Of course it's on the down side that Allison is leaving and I am pretty sad to see him leave Lotus, but:
1) He was the one that coordinated, but he was not alone. I am sure he had soem guys around him that learned his working methods, his logic, his way of doing things and are more or less capable of carrying that over.
2) Nick Chester has a lot of experience, he is known within the team and that probably counts very much when you take a new position. They don't lose time integrating Nick in the team as it will probably happen to James in his new team.
3) As Boullier said earlier in the season, nobody is irreplaceable. Lotus will not fall apart (I hope) because one man has left the team.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

munudeges
munudeges

It's a bit of a blow, but not as much as many might think.

This team have been through many changes over the years and have had many of their people poached by other teams who have never seemed to quite hit the heights of what was achieved with Benetton/Renault/Lotus/Whatever. I would have said losing Rob Marshall to Red Bull on the mechanical side would have been a massive blow to them. Not so. Whatever structure they have in place there since the days of Mike Gascoyne is working very well.

korzeniow
korzeniow

There was a Burn promo event today:

It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

korzeniow
korzeniow

yay! pre-rbr era cars:

It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

stefan_
stefan_

Pledging My Time - Lotus F1 Team Keeping Time with Richard Mille

Lotus F1 Team is proud to reveal internationally renowned watchmaker Richard Mille as Official Timing Partner to the team

The two-year deal will see branding appear on the team’s 2013 Formula 1 challenger – the E21 – in addition to driver overalls from the Spanish Grand Prix onwards.
Furthermore, a limited edition wristwatch will be produced using the very latest lightweight materials; pairing the philosophies of both the team and Richard Mille in representing the pinnacle of cutting edge technology.

Eric Boullier, Team Principal, Lotus F1 Team:
"The 2013 season has seen Lotus F1 Team get off to a strong start on track, and it is highly satisfying to see that success recognised in our off-track endeavours with the announcement of Richard Mille as the latest name to join our strong portfolio of partners. As a team we are extremely proud of our brand identity, and the innovative approach adopted by Richard Mille in the design and manufacture of their wristwatches is certainly in keeping with our core value of standing out from the crowd."

Richard Mille, Chairman, Richard Mille Watches:
"Many people know the high degree of technical expertise, innovation and sophistication that one can find in Richard Mille watches, and no outfit could be better suited to our brand values than Lotus F1 Team. This mutual love for exemplary technique and refinement represents an asset for a strong and constructive partnership."

About Richard Mille:
Heralded at their initial release in 2001 as a break from the past and a new direction of horology, the wristwatches of Richard Mille were from their very inception, extraordinary and uncompromising. From its establishment, the young brand would lay claim to a number of world premiere innovations that have seriously extended the entire field of horologic knowledge and invention. Three principles guide the brand’s concept; the best in cutting edge, innovative technology and a strong artistic and architectural dimension, a watch designed for ease of use and robustness, yet remaining extremely sophisticated. Each piece is finished and assembled by hand, reflecting what is best in the tradition of ‘haute horlogerie’.
via Lotus F1™ Team