Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Redragon

Re: Ferrari F138

Could it be a hole ala Redbull what the yellow arrow is pointing? I thought at first it might be the holder shadow
but I realized is too big if I compare with F150 holder (marked by blue arrow)
The team recognized on pre season interviews that they were thinking on Redbull channel airflow channel.
Could it be that instead of having the hole on the back it is at front of sidepods? To use the airflow to cool batteries and
direct it to the diffuser.
No an expert but just bringing to discussion if it would be a possibility. You can always call me mad. At least I don't see small holes on the blackberry logo on Mercedes nose

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

DAMNINice wrote:I think they used a trick Scarbs wrote about earlier...

They used the panel to create a higher Nose:

Very clever!
Thanks for posting! Very cool.

How do I get to drawings/photos like this at scarbsf1.com...Or are they somewhere else? I cannot locate them at the site.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

extrater
extrater

F2012 vs F138

It is very hard to match these cars properly. I suppose yellow line shows where is a bottom of modesty panel (maybe should be one or two pixels higher).

.poz
.poz

Raptor22 wrote:the tip can still droop.

and why can't the front wing be mounted to the modesty panel?
3.7.9 With the exception of an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate (whose precise lay-up may be found in the Appendix to the regulations) which may not be more than 625mm above the reference plane at any point, no bodywork situated more than 1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template may be more than 550mm above the reference plane.

Non-structural fairing laminate specification
General laminate: 1 ply woven 200g carbon (0.2mm) / 3mm Nomex core / 1 ply woven 200g carbon.
Edge reinforcement: The edge of the laminate may be reinforced with a further 2 plys of woven 200g carbon (1 either side of the core) which may extend no further than 20mm in from the perimeter of the fairing.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

.poz wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:the tip can still droop.

and why can't the front wing be mounted to the modesty panel?
3.7.9 With the exception of an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate (whose precise lay-up may be found in the Appendix to the regulations) which may not be more than 625mm above the reference plane at any point, no bodywork situated more than 1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template may be more than 550mm above the reference plane.

Non-structural fairing laminate specification
General laminate: 1 ply woven 200g carbon (0.2mm) / 3mm Nomex core / 1 ply woven 200g carbon.
Edge reinforcement: The edge of the laminate may be reinforced with a further 2 plys of woven 200g carbon (1 either side of the core) which may extend no further than 20mm in from the perimeter of the fairing.
It could be done without mounting to the fairing. I don't have the resources to make a pretty drawing though. Sorry!
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

amouzouris

Re: F2012 vs F138

extrater wrote:It is very hard to match these cars properly. I suppose yellow line shows where is a bottom of modesty panel (maybe should be one or two pixels higher).

you got it EXACTLY right! a few pages back i highlighted the yellow area in which the structural part of the nose can not enter...

Ferrari isn't taking advantage of the loophole

.poz
.poz

hairy_scotsman wrote: It could be done without mounting to the fairing. I don't have the resources to make a pretty drawing though. Sorry!
Something like this ?

aral
aral

.poz wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote: It could be done without mounting to the fairing. I don't have the resources to make a pretty drawing though. Sorry!
Something like this ?

Not that again! The tip of the nose cannot be at that height!

Raptor22
Raptor22

the fairing could be extending to the leading edge of the wing mounting pylons while the load is still sarried by the crash structure underneath

.poz
.poz

An idea:

The F138 has those big vertical fin in place of small pylons... we don't know which part of them is structural

is something like this legal ? (sorry for poor drawing skill)

aral
aral

.poz wrote:An idea:

The F138 has those big vertical fin in place of small pylons... we don't know which part of them is structural

I repeat. The TIP of the nose has to be at a maximum specified height. Any fairing cannot be above that height. The reason for the height restriction was to prevent a high nose overriding the cockpit sides of another car, in event of a t-bone.

amouzouris

This year up to now Ferrari, McLaren, Sauber, Force India, Mercedes, Lotus and of course have used the half shaft shroud. I didn't know where to post this but since it is a feature on the F138 i guess i can post it here.
Since 2009 Red Bull has used a fairing in different formats to cover the half shaft, the track rod (for adjusting toe angle) and half of the lower rear wishbone. The reason for this is that the rotation of the half shaft produces downforce because of the Magnus Effect, which is good. The problem is that when you introduce the exhaust plume into the equation, this effect becomes more unstable as exhaust flow is given out by the engine only on every exhaust stroke.

In addition, covering them will provide a clearer path for the airflow at the rear of the car allowing the diffuser to produce more downforce.

This year Ferrari, McLaren, Force India, Sauber, Lotus and Mercedes (up to the day of posting this) have followed Red Bull's path of using the half shaft shroud as it is more aerodynamic than having them separate.

http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.co ... iring.html

Lurk

gilgen wrote:I repeat. The TIP of the nose has to be at a maximum specified height. Any fairing cannot be above that height. The reason for the height restriction was to prevent a high nose overriding the cockpit sides of another car, in event of a t-bone.
If the tip of the nose is composed by the vanity panel (and the vanity panel only), it would be against the intent of the rules but within it as the only defined max height of the panel is 625mm above reference plane. The FIA would surely clarify the regulation though.

Anyway as seen on the following pic, F138 nose tip is below 550mm because of the drop.

.poz
.poz

gilgen wrote: I repeat. The TIP of the nose has to be at a maximum specified height. Any fairing cannot be above that height. The reason for the height restriction was to prevent a high nose overriding the cockpit sides of another car, in event of a t-bone.
The yellow part is not a nose tip, it's "an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate" :)

edit: not the vertical fins
Last edited by .poz on 04 Feb 2013, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

ecapox

gilgen wrote:
.poz wrote:An idea:

I repeat. The TIP of the nose has to be at a maximum specified height. Any fairing cannot be above that height. The reason for the height restriction was to prevent a high nose overriding the cockpit sides of another car, in event of a t-bone.
I think that is a distinct possibility (although i do not have the rules in front of me). The tip of the nose is the tan structure and could be at max height. It is the modesty panel that extends higher and further ahead and by definition the modesty panel will ALWAYS be above the max height for the nose because it is meant to be above the step in the nose.

In an event of a crash, the modesty panel would break away before getting close to the driver and the true nose/crash structure (the tan piece in the drawing) would be at the mandated max height. Seems plausible to me.