Concept power units from 2030

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Zynerji

Re: Concept power units from 2030

Tommy Cookers wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 15:55
who needs rotation ?
free-piston engines can now be had with output by linear generators
How's the vibration tho? I would expect a spin-balance to be very helpful, but I am willing to learn better.

Rodak
Rodak

gruntguru wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 06:23
Rodak wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 23:35
I don't think I've seen anyone suggest a turbo-compound motor, so I will! How about a turbo-compound engine?
Great idea. Oh wait, we've had turbo-compound engines for the last 12 seasons!
No, a turbo compound engine takes the power from the turbo and mechanically puts it back to the crank. The final piston aircraft engines were turbo-compound and very efficient.

mzso
mzso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 11:30
mzso wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 14:24
Tommy Cookers wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 11:47
or have your 4 MGs and the ICE with no gears
1000 rpm round Loew's hairpin
... ICE with no gears? That's impossible.
these said otherwise .....
c.1000 general-use diesel railway engines (the first diesel, later differentially-boosted ones) and
c.1000000 motorcycles (1900s-1920s 'belt-drive') and
c.10000000 mopeds 1940s-1970s (ie pre 'twist-and-go' aka Variomatic patent) ....

also ....
the F1 ICE rules compel an ICE torque/rpm relationship that (by capping MGU-K torque/rpm) helps out the electrical side
but these could be changed ie allowing M-K energy to be maxed at low road speed and ICE energy maxed at high road speed ....
eliminating the gears - and making the electric stuff do a real job
this of course helps the movement towards wheel MGs
Not sure about the Diesel train, but I'd be rather surprised if the motorcycle engines themselves didn't have gears.

But more to the poin. I don't know how you claim it applies to the F1 car anyway. (You didn't say for them to use CVT) You need the gearbox so the ICE can be useful other than for a narrow speed range.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

mzso wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 16:16
... You need the gearbox so the ICE can be useful other than for a narrow speed range.
no you don't ...
(cos we haven't got weeny 2014-2025 size electrics and 2014-2025 large size fuel quantity and rates)

that's the point
the electrical power (and energy) is far greater - the ICE power (and energy) is less

to put it another way ....
the ICE is more like a range extender - so we can let it work like a range extender

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

mzso wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 16:16
Tommy Cookers wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 11:30
mzso wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 14:24

... ICE with no gears? That's impossible.
these said otherwise .....
c.1000 general-use diesel railway engines (the first diesel, later differentially-boosted ones) and
c.1000000 motorcycles (1900s-1920s 'belt-drive') and
c.10000000 mopeds 1940s-1970s (ie pre 'twist-and-go' aka Variomatic patent) ....

also ....
the F1 ICE rules compel an ICE torque/rpm relationship that (by capping MGU-K torque/rpm) helps out the electrical side
but these could be changed ie allowing M-K energy to be maxed at low road speed and ICE energy maxed at high road speed ....
eliminating the gears - and making the electric stuff do a real job
this of course helps the movement towards wheel MGs
Not sure about the Diesel train, but I'd be rather surprised if the motorcycle engines themselves didn't have gears.

But more to the poin. I don't know how you claim it applies to the F1 car anyway. (You didn't say for them to use CVT) You need the gearbox so the ICE can be useful other than for a narrow speed range.
I mean FE has gearboxes…

https://rtrsports.com/en/blog/do-formul ... ave-gears/

It varies between teams / manufacturers, but there is a strategy.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

I don't know what's being said but ....

FE last allowed gearboxes (ie more than 1 in-race mechanical relationship between motor and load) several years ago

IMO not that that's got anything to do with the benefits or otherwise of gearboxes with ICE or MG
(yes I'm the person who believes a gearbox is beneficial in some ways to the EV)

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Electric motors have a torque vs speed graph, with torque decaying with speed. Drag increases with the square of velocity. A modern F1 car has a drag coefficient approaching 1. The decaying torque with speed and the increase in drag with speed are in conflict with each other.

Everyone forgets there is a torque multiplication factor that transmissions provide. Take shaft torque and multiply it by the transmission gear ratio and then the final drive gear ratio, that's the axle torque the wheel sees. You can use this gear multiplication to apply more torque to an axle for a smaller / lighter / less energy demanding motor (ic or electric).

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Hoffman900 wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 17:36
Electric motors have a torque vs speed graph, with torque decaying with speed.
...Everyone forgets there is a torque multiplication factor that transmissions provide.
though the previous post is a fine exposition - neither of the above statements is necessarily true

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Tommy Cookers wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 17:57
Hoffman900 wrote:
Electric motors have a torque vs speed graph, with torque decaying with speed.
...Everyone forgets there is a torque multiplication factor that transmissions provide.
though the previous post is a fine exposition - neither of the above statements is necessarily true
It absolutely is. There is a very good article in Race Engine Technology, Issue 141, about electric motors used in motorsports. There is a parameter used called the ‘Constant Power Speed Ratio’

CSPR is gear ratio blind, but torque multiplication by gears effects maximum torque. The more grip you have, the more maximum torque you can apply, and the faster you accelerate.

You always start at wheel torque (for IC and EV) and work backwards, and that holds true for anything.

In a IC, knowing this is exactly how you tune / program TC strategies, and on a motorcycle, you do it at all the tires lean angles since compound, stiffness, and diameter change over the tire’s arc.

EV is the same, you don’t just throw the biggest motor at the problem. You figure out what you need, and size accordingly, and do you run something that makes half the torque but spins 2x as fast, with more multiplication? Or do you have less but more torque, but a bigger package?

It’s the same as an IC. It’s why you use high revving, low torque engines (smaller, and make up for maximal torque with more gear ratio, which necessitates higher rpm’s) or put a 600lb big block Chevy that can provide the same wheel torque with less multiplication, and 1/3 rpm.

Acceleration of a vehicle through time space is determined by how much wheel torque is applied, and how much can be applied is down to how much grip you have, and the more grip you have, the more torque can be applied, and the faster you accelerate (provided mass is constant).

wuzak
wuzak

Rodak wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 16:08
gruntguru wrote:
Rodak wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 23:35
I don't think I've seen anyone suggest a turbo-compound motor, so I will! How about a turbo-compound engine?
No, a turbo compound engine takes the power from the turbo and mechanically puts it back to the crank. The final piston aircraft engines were turbo-compound and very efficient.
The current PUs can be run in a turbo compound mode.

In this mode the MGUH feeds all of its recovered power to the MGUK, the amount of energy that can be transferred this way is unlimited.

The MGUK doesn't take power from the battery in this mode.

Zynerji

wuzak wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 19:20
Rodak wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 16:08
gruntguru wrote:

The current PUs can be run in a turbo compound mode.

In this mode the MGUH feeds all of its recovered power to the MGUK, the amount of energy that can be transferred this way is unlimited.

The MGUK doesn't take power from the battery in this mode.
So, it doesn't take power from the H+Battery? That's new info for me. I expected it would take the max allowed from Battery and add from the H...

mzso
mzso

Hoffman900 wrote:
Electric motors have a torque vs speed graph, with torque decaying with speed. Drag increases with the square of velocity. A modern F1 car has a drag coefficient approaching 1. The decaying torque with speed and the increase in drag with speed are in conflict with each other.

Everyone forgets there is a torque multiplication factor that transmissions provide. Take shaft torque and multiply it by the transmission gear ratio and then the final drive gear ratio, that's the axle torque the wheel sees. You can use this gear multiplication to apply more torque to an axle for a smaller / lighter / less energy demanding motor (ic or electric).
Where are you going with this? Neither of your responses actually addressed what you quoted. So I have no clue what you want to say.
For sure FE doesn't have gearboxes. Only a single gear ratio.

mzso
mzso

Zynerji wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 15:34
mzso wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 15:27
wuzak wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 03:06

Complains abou "ultra high revving guzzlers" and also promotes the rotary!
Rotary's can be efficient. At least if Liquid Piston's claims are not a complete lie. Plus they don't need to be revved to oblivion, they just need an appropriate amount of displacement.
If they really can do six combustion events on two rotations that's even more of a reason not to rev obscenely high. I imagine they could make do with one or two rotary pistons.
I think RadMax is dead now, but would be better than rotary or liquid piston... (24 combustion events per rotation). I wonder if EDM machining would help this concept as well.

https://vimeo.com/245398279
If it worked. I see no indication of a functioning engine. If it works, the great number of scraping plates is not encouraging for sealing, longevity or efficiency.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

mzso wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 19:31
Hoffman900 wrote:

Where are you going with this? Neither of your responses actually addressed what you quoted. So I have no clue what you want to say.
For sure FE doesn't have gearboxes. Only a single gear ratio.
Everyone is sharing "concept" power units without defining power needs.

To start, aero drag increases with the square of velocity. F1 cars with their current levels of downforce have a Cd of near 1. If you express this in horsepower, at 190mph (305kmh) (with tire friction), they're using near 750-800hp to just maintain that speed. If you want to go faster you need exponentially more power. You can express that as force. How do you go faster in road racing? You convert horsepower to downforce. This is why peak trap speeds have been nearly the same for 35-40 years but cars go MUCH faster.

So let's say with today's rule set and aero efficiencies, you need the equivalent of 750bhp(the entire IC power) to have the same trap speed. If express it as torque, say that 750bhp occurs at 10,000rpm, that's 393ft-lbs. Say a F1 car has a 4.5:1 rear gear. So that's 1768ft-lbs of torque at the wheel axle to maintain that vehicle's speed at 190mph. This is the calculation every land speed racer does (I have x frontal area, x Cd, x frictional drag, and the class record is xxx mph, how much power do I need to apply to the axle to get there?)

So now we have established we ned 1768ft-lbs (2397 Nm) of torque to propel a F1 car with the current drag / frontal area / tire friction to 190mph. Let's say for our tire grip and to maximize acceleration, we want 4000Nm of maximal torque (2950ft-lbs). You have now defined the problem statement. So how do you get there with alternative power?

Constant power speed ratio (CSPR) is defined as the maximum speed of the motor divided by the minimum speed at which peak power will be met. Every motor has its own CPSR, but let's define the vehicle CPSR. So let's say I need 4000Nm, and I have an electric motor with 400kw (536hp). Using the relationship of power being the product of speed and torque, the base speed is 400,000w / 4000 Nm = 100 rad/s. If the maximal wheel speed is 200 rad/s, then the CPSR is 200 rad/s divided by 100 rad/s = 2:1. Most of what is being proposed here does not have a CPSR of 2:1, most passenger car EV motors are like 4:1-5:1... so right there we can throw out probably half this thread.

CPSR is gearing blind, but gearing does effect maximal torque (4000 Nm). If we have a 5:1 gear ratio, then we'd need 800Nm and be able to run 1000 rad/s (200*5), you need 9500rpm. If you double the gear ratio to 10:1, the motor only needs 400Nm but twice the speed (19,000rpm). The latter's motor can be nearly half the size and weight, and you use gearing multiplication to reach your maximal torque. It's same as an IC, you use smaller high revving engines that fit better in the car for weight / and aero packaging, and make up for the lack of torque with gearing multiplication. With an EV is the same way, where maybe you don't have as many gears, but more reduction is going to require a bigger transmission.

Yes the 3rd Gen Formula E cars are single speed (with two stage reduction), but the rules dictate the aero which ultimately dictates the total drag, the rule makers back into a rules heavily dictated power unit package, but controlling it via drag. This is the problem the teams are screaming about 2026. They want all the downforce = drag, but that drag plus the car's mass, consumes more power than the PU rules allow them to make and / or sustain, hence the talk of active aero to reduce drag and reducing the car's size to reduce mass... the former is in conflict with extracting maximum performance (reduce downforce) which they all want for speed as well as the spectacle of being "the pinnacle" and the latter is in conflict with safety rules and test technology available to downsize the technology to be able to make that / sustain that power.

So in summary:

* no one here has defined how much power / force you need. I have given a rough estimate above.
* knowing how much force you need, you need to find something that can produce the same force to maintain current performance with the current Cd / tire friction
* knowing how much force you need, you also need to find something that fits. Maybe's a bigger motor but less gearing reduction / less gear ratios, maybe it's a smaller less powerful motor with a large gearing reduction / more gear ratios. How you do that effects CoG, aero packaging, cooling, total weight, and plenty of other performance characteristics.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

there is nothing that compels the situation to be as the RET advice claims

fundamentally motor torque is always proportionate to the conductor current
so it is always controlled by the F1 designer and rules not by RET
simply if said designer wanted he/she could command any torque/rpm behaviour

the implied immutable torque/rpm characteristic is merely what has been chosen in the settings of the so-called controller
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 24 Jul 2024, 20:55, edited 3 times in total.