Metric vs Imperial units

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: Metric vs Imperial units

For the majority of mechanical engineers who leave Europe to work in the US it is helpful to have a good command of the metric/imperial conversions. You are not so likely to buy much lumber but just about anything else you need in terms of materials be it beam or sheet metal, fasteners, hoses, workshop layout, power connections, standards, safety regulations, contractual documents and most important interface definitions are likely to be written in imperial units. This goes down to paper sizes, drawing conventions, patents, product specifications, sales literature, legally required documentation, tooling and anything else that you meet as a physical object and the documents describing it.

If you are in education for instance in Germany you do not really appreciate how much it helps that the science and the industry use the same units. In the US most local products do not have a metric specification because they do not need one and it costs money to make one. Only foreign products need dual specs. So going over for a course which deals with industrial practices you should use the same criteria as an engineer going to work there. It helps to avoid problems further down the road in a career.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:And he'll have to learn to drive on the wrong side of the road. :wink:
It helps being a sissy and drive a car with automatic transmission. Your left hand isn't really used to shifting. It detracts you from understanding and reacting to traffic.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

Most interesting indeed WB, I had no idea you had this xperience of working in the US, please share?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

Pup wrote:And he'll have to learn to drive on the wrong side of the road. :wink:
tell you what ,it`s really no prob driving in UK ,traffic flow is a far cry from germany ...so really that wrong side driving is coming to you naturally...coming back though it´s a horrible mess ... :mrgreen:

the one thing that will frighten the s.t out of your co-driver is your overtaking ...if you are travelling with a car made for the rtw...

WhiteBlue

Running technical operations in foreign subsidiaries, implementation and post implementation work in mergers and aquisitions mainly.

Pup
Pup

marcush. wrote:
tell you what ,it`s really no prob driving in UK ,traffic flow is a far cry from germany ...so really that wrong side driving is coming to you naturally...coming back though it´s a horrible mess ...
Interesting you say that. I find it quite easy to switch to driving on the left, but when I get back, it takes forever to readjust to the right side of the road. Especially when there are no cues - weeks later, I'll catch myself driving through a parking lot on the left side of the lane. :oops:

I never found the gearshift to be any problem.

x - :lol:

marcush.
marcush.

there you go ..can it be that man have only difficulty to adapt twice??? maybe we have found Schumachers problem there...

mep

If you're already learning that Power = Torque * Angular Velocity, it's no more difficult to remember HP = Ft-Lbf * RPM / 5252.
One advantage of the metrical system is that I don't need to remember many formulas. I just remember the unit.
I know power is measured in W or kW.
W is Nm/s so I derivate that the formula for Power = Force*Way/Time.

Best thing is that you can check your calculations with the units.
When you don't end up with the right unit you can be sure there is something wrong.
WhiteBlue wrote:
It helps being a sissy and drive a car with automatic transmission. Your left hand isn't really used to shifting. It detracts you from understanding and reacting to traffic.
Never ever come up with a automatic transmission.
When I can't shift gears I will become so bored that I fall asleep, crash against a tree and die a brutal death.
My boss gave me an automatic car once. I was so annoyed by it. I tried to have some fun with it but no way (it came from white blue country btw.).
When you then also have a tempomat you can place a monkey on driver’s seat.

strad

A number is a number. There's nothing intuitive about boiling point being 100. Could be 1000. Could be 10. Could be 999. Doesn't matter!
=D> =D> =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive
xpensive

An interesting observation is that before 1967, when we were driving on the left side here in Sweden, we already had
left-side steering in our cars, which made it easier for the driver to keep a minimum gap when passing other vehicles.

Most useful that.

jon-mullen

I read that when they switched sides in Sweden the accident rate plunged down for a while and then slowly came back up as people got more confident with it. Maybe we should alternate every 6 months so people never get confident to the point of texting for five mile stretches.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

xpensive
xpensive

In Norway they switched in steps to avoid too much trouble, trucks one week before cars as I remember.

mep

Guys, pups and strats WE really dont need that kind of posts here.
Just adding smiles with no text at all is spam.

Pup
Pup

My mistake. Allow me to rephrase.

xpensive, can you elaborate please on the Norwegian switch from left- to right-lane driving? On the surface, their plan seems flawed, as they would have traffic attempting to travel in both directions in the same lane at the same time. I think this would happen regardless of how they chose to split it; i.e., trucks vs cars, northbound vs southbound, etc. Perhaps there is a detail of the changeover which you omitted? Were cars and trucks also allowed onto the roads only at alternating times, say odd hours for cars, even for trucks? Or were their strict rules put into place as to the passing of oncoming traffic? Perhaps they adopted something similar to the IMO's COLREGS during the intervening week. Do you have any data on their switchover's accident rate as compared to Sweden's?

Richard
Richard

Pup wrote:IMO's COLREGS
International Maritime Organisation - Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea ?

Which part ??? http://www.imo.org/conventions/contents ... pic_id=257