Metric vs Imperial units

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
segedunum
segedunum

Metric vs Imperial units

xpensive wrote:Intersting measurement that, 760.643 mm, but with a +/- 2 mm tolerance...anyone of my designers putting that on a drawing would be fired on the spot!
It's a rather interesting disconnect in precision............ I had no idea things were quite that bad.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 18 Aug 2010, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from Flexible wing thread

xpensive
xpensive

Re: Flexible wings controversy 2010

But it is seg - take a look at that table defining the front wing center-section's profile - to the micron!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:But it is seg - take a look at that table defining the front wing center-section's profile - to the micron!
+/-2mil.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats what happens when UK boffins can only think in inches and the whole --- is translated to french and metrics ...not the first time not the last to see a machinist cry unable to do his work..and wasting days....

xpensive
xpensive

I don't know marcush, I simply cannot believe that any F1 engineer in the UK would work with anything but metrics,
but Ross Brawn on the other hand...? :lol:

Pup
Pup

Bah. I'll take feet and inches any day. We should switch everything to base 12.

xpensive
xpensive

Right, most folks with six fingers on each hand would probably agree.

mep

Maybe this explains why french people can only count to sixty and then start to calculate.

60 soixante
70 soixante-dix (60+10)
80 quatre-vingt (4*20)
90 quatre-vingt-dix (4*20+10)

autogyro
autogyro

mep wrote:Maybe this explains why french people can only count to sixty and then start to calculate.

60 soixante
70 soixante-dix (60+10)
80 quatre-vingt (4*20)
The French thing goes back to the establishment of the prime meridian at Greenwich.
Have you ever tried navigating in metric?

mep

The French thing goes back to the establishment of the prime meridian at Greenwich.
They could have used a system based on 10 for the time also.
Would make some things easier.
Its no problem to navigate then with it.

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:We should switch everything to base 12.
What is the rational behind such an alien proposal? Do you have six fingers on your hand?

High cultures like the Romans have been using decimals for over 2,000 years and the positional decimal Hindu-Arabic system - which we use - is now more than 1,200 years old. More than half the earth population is using a decimal system. Further the international SI unit system which was created by modern scientists and engineers is based on the positional decimal system. To make changes to that sounds like a very strange idea.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

marcush. wrote:
xpensive wrote:But it is seg - take a look at that table defining the front wing center-section's profile - to the micron!
+/-2mil.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats what happens when UK boffins can only think in inches and the whole --- is translated to french and metrics ...not the first time not the last to see a machinist cry unable to do his work..and wasting days....
I think you'll find that the UK is metric in all but name so far as engineering is concerned.

The only areas that are still imperial are road use (miles and miles per hour - fuel is already sold in litres) and beer.

Some older types still use feet/inches and pounds/ounces.

The rest is just about always metric - which is only right. Imperial is a dog's breakfast of a system.

And the funniest thing is that much of it was based on "English" units that were introduced by the Normans or were reused Roman systems. Some Anglo-Saxon remainded but that was often linked to the Roman systems.

All good fun...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Metric vs Imperial units

Personally I'm a big fan of Imperial units.

1) They're easy.

2) When all your machine shop equipment and tooling is in Imperial units, that's what's practical.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Jersey Tom wrote:Personally I'm a big fan of Imperial units.

1) They're easy.

2) When all your machine shop equipment and tooling is in Imperial units, that's what's practical.
Ditto, but now I have to use metric becuase I work in the automotive supplier chain now....

Its weird, I learn metric as a kid in Taiwan, used metric throughout schools in Canada(still remember the dread that when the prof says there will be question in english unit). Yet I did all my FSAEs in imperial, uses AN/Mil-spec stuff in imperial, and learn all my machining in imperial. So now when I am designing stuff, I think in inches/psi because thats how I make things...Its hard to change back.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

autogyro wrote:
mep wrote:Maybe this explains why french people can only count to sixty and then start to calculate.

60 soixante
70 soixante-dix (60+10)
80 quatre-vingt (4*20)
What is your source on that if I may ask? Can find nothing on it here at least
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigesimal

xpensive
xpensive

Wtf is this, metric vs imperial, as if it was some kinda beauty contest? Must be Tomba's idea of a practical joke! :lol: