2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

harty71 wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:13
mendis wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:10
harty71 wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:01

He has no choice if the team decides not to renew his contract, I certainly wouldn't. You can get comparable performance at a fraction of the cost. Russell is more than capable of leading the team, the question is do they pit a first class driver against him or employ another Bottas?

I have the same feeling and I think the parting will be mutual. At the end of the day he's not bringing the performance that warrants his huge salary. Merc need to make a push for Norris or Leclerc.
I don't see him leaving 55 millions on the table and walk away. In times when money is losing it's value faster than ice cream melting, it would be irrational to leave the position.
The team is in the 'devil you know' position of having a lot invested in him and him being a known quantity.
I doubt they would push him out even if they would not actively encourage him to stay.

I would not be surprised to see him move to a position within the team like Niki was though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

chrisc90

Big Tea wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:07
harty71 wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:01
Big Tea wrote:
07 May 2023, 11:55
I see Ham packing his bags at season end. He is not enjoying it and making it plain. Russell/Albon team next year?
I have the same feeling and I think the parting will be mutual. At the end of the day he's not bringing the performance that warrants his huge salary. Merc need to make a push for Norris or Leclerc.
Not Leclerc, I don't think he would 'fit'. Norris may do but is he not tied to Mclaren for a couple of years yet?
I get the bad feeling they are looking at Schumacher as the next man, but I don not see him as being anywhere good enough (demonstrated by the fact he has no drive this year).
Agree, cant see Leclerc taking a step backwards from Ferrari, unless he is given the boot, which is highly unlikely. Which only leaves Norris who is stuck at a under-performing McLaren. But remember Norris had a offer from RB to drive alongside Max a couple years ago, but he knocked it back to prefer the lead driver role (bet he's kicking himself now). Schumacher seems to be where all the eggs are in the basket - but he will have been without a drive in F1 for over a year IF he gets in next season. Other option would be Danny Ric - but cant see him leaving RB to drive for Merc either given the position he's in at the minute - as he landed on his feet when he went back there.

I think a lot of bearing on Hamilton continuing next year will rely on what the car brings with its big upgrade package and whether it will be competitive to at least fight for a podium. ive said it before regarding his contract signing.....If his heart was where it was, he would have scribbled on the contract to extend what he has now. It makes no sense to not extend your job given the chance being there on the table. Which to me indicates a hurdle in the talks where there is some disagreement between parties.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

harty71 wrote:
07 May 2023, 11:58
Tvetovnato wrote:
07 May 2023, 11:54
harty71 wrote:
07 May 2023, 11:47

Last year he was comfortably beaten by Russell in the standings. I've been a massive fan of Hamilton since day one and to see a superior driver slowly displace him is not easy to handle. I'm a little frustrated that it's dawning on me that maybe he wasn't quite as great as I always thought he was, either that or he's faded, what matters is the results and qualifying has been a nightmare for him thus far.
It’s reversed roles this year and still Hamilton is the one who is terrible both seasons. Tiring to read, which I’m glad the mods have taken notice of.
Is it, in which reality of yours was Hamilton leading the qualifying battle 5-1 after this amount of races?
You are obviously incapable of grasping the point. Luckily there are others here who are.

mendis
mendis

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolf ... /10466350/
“I think that the car is not a nice car, not a good car,” he said. “It's everywhere. It’s the pace, the performance of the car, it’s the lack of understanding of the car [about why] it is not delivering. It is the full spread of activities. I would say the performance is just really bad.”
Why do Toto and George keep making false statements like they made progress in the last week, that couldn't make it in months, only to them damn the car once again?

harty71
harty71

Tvetovnato wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:17
harty71 wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:
07 May 2023, 11:54

It’s reversed roles this year and still Hamilton is the one who is terrible both seasons. Tiring to read, which I’m glad the mods have taken notice of.
Is it, in which reality of yours was Hamilton leading the qualifying battle 5-1 after this amount of races?
You are obviously incapable of grasping the point. Luckily there are others here who are.
You are obviously incapable of accepting the fact that Russell is beating Hamilton 5-1 in qualifying, and to claim it doesn't mean anything, well, you're wrong.

DGP123
DGP123

harty71 wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:42
Tvetovnato wrote:
harty71 wrote:

You are obviously incapable of accepting the fact that Russell is beating Hamilton 5-1 in qualifying, and to claim it doesn't mean anything, well, you're wrong.
On Sunday’s, Hamilton has had the measure of GR. Bent over in Bahrain, overtaken and beaten in Baku, all over the back of him in Australia before the SC bailed him out, and even in Jeddah, Lewis was all over the back of him coming from further down the grid. If these cars could overtake more easily, then he most likely beats him there too, and Leclerc would of beaten Sainz.

I’ll accept GR is outperforming Lewis on Saturday’s, but Mercedes know Hamilton is still their main man, particularly on Sunday’s performances, hence why they will throw the money at him to extend that deal. Russell isn’t doing enough for Mercedes to kick Hamilton to the curb.

harty71
harty71

DGP123 wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:52
harty71 wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:

On Sunday’s, Hamilton has had the measure of GR. Bent over in Bahrain, overtaken and beaten in Baku, all over the back of him in Australia before the SC bailed him out, and even in Jeddah, Lewis was all over the back of him coming from further down the grid. If these cars could overtake more easily, then he most likely beats him there too, and Leclerc would of beaten Sainz.

I’ll accept GR is outperforming Lewis on Saturday’s, but Mercedes know Hamilton is still their main man, particularly on Sunday’s performances, hence why they will throw the money at him to extend that deal. Russell isn’t doing enough for Mercedes to kick Hamilton to the curb.
Irony is lost with you. First of all you claim Hamilton was superior in Bahrain when Russell was on the radio asking for Lewis to speed up in the first stint, but, like you said, if it was easier for these cars to overtake Russell would have passed Hamilton, the fact that he also closed up to Hamilton in the final stint is evidence that Russell had more pace.

And, qualifying does count, it also has a big effect on the race as you well know.

DGP123
DGP123

harty71 wrote:
You are obviously incapable of accepting the fact that Russell is beating Hamilton 5-1 in qualifying
Again, more nonsense. It’s 4-1. We’ve only had five Q sessions. 😂
harty71 wrote:
07 May 2023, 13:17
And, qualifying does count, it also has a big effect on the race as you well know.
Russell 4-1 Hamilton

Hamilton leads by 20 pts in the WDC. Not as big effect or important as you make out. Russell either hasn’t been converting that Saturday advantage, or it’s just further evidence of how superior Lewis is on a Sunday.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

DGP123 wrote:
07 May 2023, 13:43

Sprint qualifying in Baku.
A lion must kill its prey.

harty71
harty71

DGP123 wrote:
07 May 2023, 13:43
harty71 wrote:
You are obviously incapable of accepting the fact that Russell is beating Hamilton 5-1 in qualifying
harty71 wrote:
07 May 2023, 13:17
Russell 4-1 Hamilton

Hamilton leads by 20 pts in the WDC. Not as big effect or important as you make out. Russell either hasn’t been converting that Saturday advantage, or it’s just further evidence of how superior Lewis is on a Sunday.
I think you missed the sprint race qualifying, and yeah, that counts.

And you also fail to mention that Russell had his engine give up on him, those things do tend to harm your points tally.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Well Mr Saturday does earn his name from performing on Saturdays doesn't he?! We'll see. Ros beat ham in qualifying in 14. Look how that turned out.

Puffpirat
Puffpirat

One might think Merc has other problems than worrying about their driver paring. Which is the strongest on the grid, maybe challenged by a 100% on form Perez + Verstappen.

harty71
harty71

cplchanb wrote:
07 May 2023, 14:50
Well Mr Saturday does earn his name from performing on Saturdays doesn't he?! We'll see. Ros beat ham in qualifying in 14. Look how that turned out.
But last season he also beat him in the standings, of course I guess that didn't count as well?

chrisc90

Puffpirat wrote:
07 May 2023, 14:55
One might think Merc has other problems than worrying about their driver paring. Which is the strongest on the grid, maybe challenged by a 100% on form Perez + Verstappen.
What stats prove that the pairing is the strongest on the grid? :?

Puffpirat
Puffpirat

Stats can’t prove that, which I guess you are aware off. But name a better pairing I’ll wait. With the exception I already made myself. But checo has yet to prove himself competitive/consistent over a full season.