Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gM ... directlink

Note the rear wing endplate on the inboard side....you can see the "duct". I am assuming this is for the main flow part for the blown slot, but the actual switching portion is elsewhere?

Blackout

You're talking about this ?

no, that's just a 'nervure'... the endplate is chaped that way.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

gilgen wrote: There is no pollution of the thread, as the above responses seem to be an expansion of the Mercedes topic. Do you by any chance, work for Mercedes?

Gilgen feel free to ignore all my posts.

Feel free also to add anything of substance about Mercedes GP, and quit trying to get a reaction, you wont find it here.
More could have been done.
David Purley

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
gilgen wrote: There is no pollution of the thread, as the above responses seem to be an expansion of the Mercedes topic. Do you by any chance, work for Mercedes?

Gilgen feel free to ignore all my posts.

Feel free also to add anything of substance about Mercedes GP, and quit trying to get a reaction, you wont find it here.
I DID! But I take it that the moderators were quite happy to leave the other posts equating Renault and Ferrari, to Mercedes, on the forum, as they were relevant.

But you have to accept that Mercedes were constantly saying that they were ahead of Ferrari and Renault, when in fact, both these teams have reacted more rapidly to improvements, than Mercedes. Mercedes seem to have a problem even standing still, though I hope that they can find some improvement, if they want to retain Schumacher next year. Dont forget, he has an opt out clause in his contract.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Yea whatever mate,

There is somthing called deviation, and evidently this thread was deviating into "Renault is the bestest ever thing in the world"( :lol: ) and that here is not the place.

I take your comment on wether I "work for Mercedes" was not for anotgonising purposes?

In the end Mercedes are doing better than Renault in the points standings, thats as good a barometer after 8 races as any other. Red Bull have been faster than McLaren, so what? hasnt helped them much has it? :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

siskue2005

Blackout wrote:You're talking about this ?

no, that's just a 'nervure'... the endplate is chaped that way.

there is a suggestion that they were already running a blown rear wing last year itself
thats why their rearwing is so simple in shape

thats why you have the bulges in 2009 and 2010 cars

WhiteBlue

Merc development program spelled out.
[url=http://www.espn.co.uk/formula1/sport/story/28852.html]Nick Fry[/url] wrote:Red Bull and McLaren are fairly dominant, but Ferrari have had a mixed season. We've struggled to make the so-called f-duct rear wing work, and we don't have the special exhaust system Red Bull have. If we can get both of those things on the car then we'll be in a lot better position, and in the second half of the season we will continue to work hard and improve.
I have posted details about Merc not being able to dissipate heat into their tyres on low fuel and smooth tracks.

This problem is going to re appear through the season as Bridgestone intends to use more and more super soft tyres to emulate the exciting Montreal tyre battles.

Merc needs to action this issue ASAP in my opinion.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ggajic
ggajic

If Bridgestone will leave F1 at the end of year I don't think that Mercedes will invest much into further car development. But then again it is much up to suspension how car will handle tires. In my opinion Bridgestone has no intention to improve their tires either (since they are leaving). Quality of their rubber was always questionable. For the record, Audi on 2010 24h Le Mans (fastest in history) used one set of Michelin tires per 491km and clocked average speed of 226km/h. Just to mention that Le Mans prototypes are heavier then F1 cars..

aral
aral

ggajic wrote:If Bridgestone will leave F1 at the end of year I don't think that Mercedes will invest much into further car development. But then again it is much up to suspension how car will handle tires. In my opinion Bridgestone has no intention to improve their tires either (since they are leaving). Quality of their rubber was always questionable. For the record, Audi on 2010 24h Le Mans (fastest in history) used one set of Michelin tires per 491km and clocked average speed of 226km/h. Just to mention that Le Mans prototypes are heavier then F1 cars..
Not a very good analogy! The tyres for Le Mans are designed with harder compounds, so as to minimise tyre changes. F1 tyres are purposely far softer, as they only have to last an average of 150 miles, and they provide far more cornering grip. After all, my Jaguar is far heavier, and the tyres seem to last 15k miles.
In other words, the Audis drive according to their tyres grip. Put F1 tyres on them, they would be far, far faster, but would have to fit new tyres, every couple of laps!

ggajic
ggajic

What about power output? LMP1 cars have 650hp engines, compared to F1`s 700-750hp. Also, compare Bridgestone vs. Michelin in 2005. Fact is simple - Bridgestone can`t produce long lasting high performance tires.

timbo
timbo

ggajic wrote:What about power output? LMP1 cars have 650hp engines, compared to F1`s 700-750hp. Also, compare Bridgestone vs. Michelin in 2005. Fact is simple - Bridgestone can`t produce long lasting high performance tires.
They have lower power/weight ratio, so the stress on tyres on acceleration is slower.
Also, unless you know figures for lateral g forces of LMP1 you have no way to know how much tyres are stressed in the corners.
2005 is also not true -- after all, it was Michelin who had to withdraw its cars from a race.

aral
aral

timbo wrote:
ggajic wrote:What about power output? LMP1 cars have 650hp engines, compared to F1`s 700-750hp. Also, compare Bridgestone vs. Michelin in 2005. Fact is simple - Bridgestone can`t produce long lasting high performance tires.
They have lower power/weight ratio, so the stress on tyres on acceleration is slower.
Also, unless you know figures for lateral g forces of LMP1 you have no way to know how much tyres are stressed in the corners.
2005 is also not true -- after all, it was Michelin who had to withdraw its cars from a race.
Totally agree with you. Ggajic actually defeats his own "argument" by pointing out the lower bhp, which reduces the loads on tyres.
Any tyre manufacturer can produce rubber as hartd or as soft , as required, be it Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop etc. Mercedes are provided with tyre info, before the start of a season, and should take this into account when designing their car. In this years case, they made a boo-boo!

vealio
vealio

"Looking ahead to Valencia, the circuit is similar to Montreal in many ways with long straights connected by slow corners which should suit our car. We have an upgrade package which will be another good step in our development towards competing at the front of the field."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84563

Richard
Richard

So, that's a whole page about Bridgestone, Renault and Ferrari.

Any chance of getting back to OP - the actual W01 car?

Morteza

I wonder what that upgrade package will be :?: Hope that is sth worthy of praise! :D
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare