2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

godlameroso wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 15:23
.9 in Melbourne, can they close the gap? Haas is .3 faster. McLaren needs to gain over half a second to even think about podiums on merit.
Australia is a very different track to Bahrain. Haas could be behind McLaren even if they didn't introduce changes.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 19:45
godlameroso wrote:
.9 in Melbourne, can they close the gap? Haas is .3 faster. McLaren needs to gain over half a second to even think about podiums on merit.
Australia is a very different track to Bahrain. Haas could be behind McLaren even if they didn't introduce changes.
Yes, Bahrain is a different track, but it's more of a power track, with the straights. I think they'll still be strong there, Ferrari were strong last year... and it's last years Ferrari... :mrgreen:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

daren_p
daren_p

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 20:44
diffuser wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Yes, Bahrain is a different track, but it's more of a power track, with the straights. I think they'll still be strong there, Ferrari were strong last year... and it's last years Ferrari... :mrgreen:
From the sounds of it, they were running on the conservative side in Melbourne so here is hoping that they get these issues ironed out & can extract more from the p/u as well in the coming races.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

daren_p wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 21:24
Ground Effect wrote:
diffuser wrote:

From the sounds of it, they were running on the conservative side in Melbourne so here is hoping that they get these issues ironed out & can extract more from the p/u as well in the coming races.
Yes, I heard that too, more conservative than the other Renault powered teams. How much more conservative, I don't know, and whether they're ready to run the PU at a normal level. If the updates on the car, barge boards etc work and they can turn the wick up a bit, there's hope for a strong weekend in Bahrain.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

RonDennis
RonDennis

It's not sure that the updates will arrive in Bahrain.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 21:42
daren_p wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 21:24
Ground Effect wrote:

Yes, I heard that too, more conservative than the other Renault powered teams. How much more conservative, I don't know, and whether they're ready to run the PU at a normal level. If the updates on the car, barge boards etc work and they can turn the wick up a bit, there's hope for a strong weekend in Bahrain.
It shouldn't be a surprise McLaren are running a bit conservatively given they have quite a bit to learn about
the Renault PU. I get the feeling the major update won't come until Spain, maybe they'll get bits
and pieces of it with some moderate performance gains. Best thing I'm hoping for in terms of the early races is that McLaren finishes within the top 10 more often than not and great if they get a lucky podium (it would certainly give the team a boost).

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 21:53
Really? Where has that been reported?

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 22:04
RonDennis wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 21:53
Really? Where has that been reported?
Dutch television by Nyck de Vries. He tested the update in the simulator, but they weren't sure if they will use it in Bahrain (he did hope so).

PhillipM
PhillipM

They've got new sidepods but I guess they don't work without the rumoured new nose.

Redragon

No all updates will arrive this weekend, they will be introduce on the next few races with a big update on Spain https://as.com/motor/2018/04/02/formula ... 15732.html

makecry
makecry

PhillipM wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 00:42
They've got new sidepods but I guess they don't work without the rumoured new nose.
Any source for this?

PhillipM
PhillipM

The composites/paint shop was loading to ship them a while ago, there's very little else fits that size package, bar an engine cover.

makecry
makecry

PhillipM wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 03:29
The composites/paint shop was loading to ship them a while ago, there's very little else fits that size package, bar an engine cover.

But that doesn't indicate that we have new side pods incoming that work only with the nose. Unless ofcourse you know something we dont!

Bisonas

http://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-hol ... os-future/

And when i am thinking i have read them all, a new article pops up and i am like :o :o :shock: :shock: , What the Hell Did I Just Read ??

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

That article is perhaps the most bollocks I have ever read. Even if they did want to move Alonso out next season it wouldn't be to take on Bottas of all people, it would be to install Lando Norris. Makes absolutely no sense.