Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sieper

Re: Ferrari SF21

godlameroso wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 21:30
Carl Mccoy wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 20:09
I have the impression that Ferrari has made a lot of progress with the engine. But the chassis is still far behind the competition. In the mid sector, Leclerc was very slow despite his best time in the S1.
I feel that their hybrid cape is still in need of development, and can bring good gains, however, one questions the worth in that seeing what's at stake next year.
They added a cape to a (couldn’t chance the crashstructure as tokes were already spent) wide nose. This will always be less than ideal. Switching to a cape is a big step. Most teams struggled with it the first months. McL, RBR, renault. Now Ferrari is hoping to integrate it to a wide nose, that wont be an easy feat.

godlameroso

Sieper wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 21:46
godlameroso wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 21:30
Carl Mccoy wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 20:09
I have the impression that Ferrari has made a lot of progress with the engine. But the chassis is still far behind the competition. In the mid sector, Leclerc was very slow despite his best time in the S1.
I feel that their hybrid cape is still in need of development, and can bring good gains, however, one questions the worth in that seeing what's at stake next year.
They added a cape to a (couldn’t chance the crashstructure as tokes were already spent) wide nose. This will always be less than ideal. Switching to a cape is a big step. Most teams struggled with it the first months. McL, RBR, renault. Now Ferrari is hoping to integrate it to a wide nose, that wont be an easy feat.
But it could be an important lesson. Should they try to fix it and salvage the season, or just focus on next year? Please move this to team thread as I feel it's an interesting discussion in its own right.
Saishū kōnā

f1316
f1316

Watching the times, tracking testing in the way one usually does, you would suggest that the Ferrari is not fast.

But I’ve never known the team to say the car is good or give positive impressions if they’re actually concerned. A couple of other hints: the lower top speed than Alfa; the purple first sector; even the fact that Leclerc was slower than Giovanazzi on the same tyre - I just can’t imagine their chassis is worse than Alfa’s (with everyone else you could say it could also be the engine but vs Alfa that’s no longer a variable).

I suspect what they may be doing is not setting the car up optimally for the Bahrain circuit - rather perhaps they’re trying to set it up to test aero loads etc (eg more similar to how they usually would in Barcelona). I hope that’s the case, at least.

aerofoilf1
aerofoilf1

Diffuser comparison to 2020

BooBooDoll
BooBooDoll

Looks like Hass trialled a tighter cooling outlet. Perhaps a matter of time before Ferrari does so too?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

wowgr8 wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 20:50
Well scratch that

"Excellent feelings from the car on the long run, we are quite happy and satisfied". - Leclerc to Sky Italia
Calm your tata’s...

The car last year was not great. How is the SF21?

"The car is gonna be better, that's for sure. But in F1, it’s not only up to us. We need to see what the other teams are doing or have done and we won’t know until the first laps."

"We made progress but the others did too.
It won’t be easy but once again we will be a bit better than last year, even though it's not yet where I want to be. 2021 is like a transition year. 2022 will be like a revolution, it's going to be a real opportunity"

"It was good. We did many laps. We went through the whole program, without any issues or whatsoever. Some race simulations and then a bit on the softer compound. Everything is feeling quite okay for now."

"I think what I learned in three years with Ferrari is, never judge anything after pre-season.
For now I just stay quiet and wait for the first race before expressing myself and see where we are compared to the others."

Bottom line is: better than last year but this year was never the goal. 2022 is where all their time and attention is. I’ll be happy with 3rd/4th this year.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Sevach wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 19:47
I think i know why Ferrari didn't go the whole way in the Mercedes suspension concept.
The way their hot air exits are designed a good chunk of the suspension is blocked from the stream coming from the coke, a lot less to be gained for compromising suspension geometry.

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/C ... 775160.jpg

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/V ... 775159.jpg
Very nice picture mate =D> I can see your point here. The lower wishbone on the merc is angled in a way to create more space for the air flow just above the diffuser fences, while on the ferrari its angled more downwards with their focus on channeling that hot air exiting the exhausts.
Any idea why that helps ferrari?
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

ryaan2904 wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 05:50
Sevach wrote:
I think i know why Ferrari didn't go the whole way in the Mercedes suspension concept.
The way their hot air exits are designed a good chunk of the suspension is blocked from the stream coming from the coke, a lot less to be gained for compromising suspension geometry.

Very nice picture mate =D> I can see your point here. The lower wishbone on the merc is angled in a way to create more space for the air flow just above the diffuser fences, while on the ferrari its angled more downwards with their focus on channeling that hot air exiting the exhausts.
I am a bit surprised. Haas uses the same suspension but have smaller hot air exits.

F1NAC

Fer.Fan wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 09:24
ryaan2904 wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 05:50
Sevach wrote:

I am a bit surprised. Haas uses the same suspension but have smaller hot air exits.
Judging by their roll hoop which is same like last year, they didn't change cooling layout like Ferrari

LM10
LM10

JPBD1990 wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 04:03
wowgr8 wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 20:50
Well scratch that

"Excellent feelings from the car on the long run, we are quite happy and satisfied". - Leclerc to Sky Italia
Calm your tata’s...

The car last year was not great. How is the SF21?

"The car is gonna be better, that's for sure. But in F1, it’s not only up to us. We need to see what the other teams are doing or have done and we won’t know until the first laps."

"We made progress but the others did too.
It won’t be easy but once again we will be a bit better than last year, even though it's not yet where I want to be. 2021 is like a transition year. 2022 will be like a revolution, it's going to be a real opportunity"

"It was good. We did many laps. We went through the whole program, without any issues or whatsoever. Some race simulations and then a bit on the softer compound. Everything is feeling quite okay for now."

"I think what I learned in three years with Ferrari is, never judge anything after pre-season.
For now I just stay quiet and wait for the first race before expressing myself and see where we are compared to the others."

Bottom line is: better than last year but this year was never the goal. 2022 is where all their time and attention is. I’ll be happy with 3rd/4th this year.
Yea, thank you. I always was about to respond with something like this whenever I saw some people getting worried or nervous as if Ferrari was being expected to fight upfront. That’s never been the case. Weeks ahead of preseason testing Binotto told that their goal was to get better overall, have better positioning than sixth, but not the title obviously.
It’s a transition year in which they need to make sure their weak points and problems like correlation issues, procedural stuff, strategies etc. get solved and as for the correlation Leclerc told that the data they see on track correlates with the factory data. That’s really good news already.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Very interesting! But don’t forget, ThE hOt AiR eXiTs ArE tOoOoOoO bIg

wowgr8
wowgr8

Is this new? Brought out on the second day or has it been there from the start?

Morteza

wowgr8 wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 11:49
Is this new? Brought out on the second day or has it been there from the start?
Apparently from the start, but spotted recently.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

f1316 wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 23:01
Watching the times, tracking testing in the way one usually does, you would suggest that the Ferrari is not fast.

But I’ve never known the team to say the car is good or give positive impressions if they’re actually concerned. A couple of other hints: the lower top speed than Alfa; the purple first sector; even the fact that Leclerc was slower than Giovanazzi on the same tyre - I just can’t imagine their chassis is worse than Alfa’s (with everyone else you could say it could also be the engine but vs Alfa that’s no longer a variable).

I suspect what they may be doing is not setting the car up optimally for the Bahrain circuit - rather perhaps they’re trying to set it up to test aero loads etc (eg more similar to how they usually would in Barcelona). I hope that’s the case, at least.
It's only testing. Numerical methods and deep modelling has to be used to get any semblance of order of the true pace of the cars.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN