2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

It's literally an opinion piece, stop thinking the entire Autosport company believes all of that.
Felipe Baby!

nimoraca
nimoraca

Phil wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 15:54
NathanOlder wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 15:36
Again, Hamilton was penalised in Silverstone and Max was penalised in Saudi. So if Max doesnt finish in Abu Dhabi and is at fault for Lewis not finishing also , then what penalty can they give Max ? the only thing possible is to take points away.
They just wont.

And to be fair, i think that is how it should be and yes I’m a Hamilton fan and would wish nothing more than a sufficient punishment if something like that were to happen.

But if you start influencing past races, you are opening yourself to additional scrutiny and giving way for more potential discussion. What is in the past is in the past. You cant and shouldnt change it. What happens at Abu Dhabi should be delt with there. There’s no reason to attribute more importance to incidents at that race because it’s the last race.

Like it or not, Max has that advantage. He earned it. What he does with it, is obviously up to him and of course i hope he will race fairly, but if there was an incident that takes them both out…. Disqualify him from this race, but i dont think he should be deducted points. Either disqualify him from the entire championship due to sporting reasons, but dont go the way of deducting x points. We will never hear the end of it.

In the end, this discussion is a waste, because it will never happen.

First of all, any incident that might happen will not be blatant enough and assuming it is, i dont think anyone will have a guts to disqualify Max from the chanpionship. In fact, i think the sport is longing for a new champion (instead of the Merc/Hamilton) dominance and this narrative will benefit the sport if we like it or not.
It will benefit the show. The sport, not so much.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

So Max claims to be treated unfair by the Stewards. Currently in his Media call.
This guy is really saying 'Hi' to the FIA.
Weekend started very good 😂

WaikeCU

Quite funny I posted something about the Dutch pundits and it gets taken off here, all the while some others are talking about pundits as well.

Surely one can't talk about it as a reason why FIA are thinking that point deduction can be done when actions are questionable on track. If media brainwashes fans into thinking that these questionable actions on track are all allowed and a way to win the championship in the end, then one should be questioned how likely the possibility there is to such thing to happen.

When Max refers to the fans that voted him as DOTD as people that actually know what F1 is... then that works both ways I think. In that way I think FIA have communicated as they will take action when it happens.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

WaikeCU wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 16:38
When Max refers to the fans that voted him as DOTD as people that actually know what F1 is... then that works both ways I think. In that way I think FIA have communicated as they will take action when it happens.
Makes me glad we don’t have a fan boost equivalent!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Again, Hamilton was penalised in Silverstone and Max was penalised in Saudi. So if Max doesnt finish in Abu Dhabi and is at fault for Lewis not finishing also , then what penalty can they give Max ? the only thing possible is to take points away.
They just wont.
If you were a driver in the race, would you bet on that being the case? Or would you think "I bet not be silly"? That's part of the reason for it. "Do you feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?" as Mr Eastwood said. 8)
In fact, i think the sport is longing for a new champion (instead of the Merc/Hamilton) dominance and this narrative will benefit the sport if we like it or not.
I don't think the sport cares who is champion. What is important for the sport is that it's a season-long fight and a last race finale. In 2008 it the very last corner of the season before the title was decided. That's what TPTB in the sport want. Not titles won with three or four races to go in the season. Who wins isn't an issue, it's the show, the tension, "OMG he did it!".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

nimoraca wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 16:07
Phil wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
They just wont.

And to be fair, i think that is how it should be and yes I’m a Hamilton fan and would wish nothing more than a sufficient punishment if something like that were to happen.

But if you start influencing past races, you are opening yourself to additional scrutiny and giving way for more potential discussion. What is in the past is in the past. You cant and shouldnt change it. What happens at Abu Dhabi should be delt with there. There’s no reason to attribute more importance to incidents at that race because it’s the last race.

Like it or not, Max has that advantage. He earned it. What he does with it, is obviously up to him and of course i hope he will race fairly, but if there was an incident that takes them both out…. Disqualify him from this race, but i dont think he should be deducted points. Either disqualify him from the entire championship due to sporting reasons, but dont go the way of deducting x points. We will never hear the end of it.

In the end, this discussion is a waste, because it will never happen.

First of all, any incident that might happen will not be blatant enough and assuming it is, i dont think anyone will have a guts to disqualify Max from the chanpionship. In fact, i think the sport is longing for a new champion (instead of the Merc/Hamilton) dominance and this narrative will benefit the sport if we like it or not.
It will benefit the show. The sport, not so much.
You have to also consider that after all the hype this season has been given, the eyes of the wider world really are on this now. Lots of people I know who don't normally watch were watching the SA GP. The season ending in a farce with DNFs that affect the outcome of the championship is a REALLY bad look for the sport, makes a mockery of it being the pinnacle of motorsport, sets a really bad example to everyone watching, and will turn a lot of people away from it. In a way, now they've managed to have the perfect scenario at the last race where arguably the show has taken precedence, what's best for the sport becomes what's best for the show now. Almost no-one wants to see either Hamilton or Verstappen not finish the race.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 16:55
Almost no-one wants to see either Hamilton or Verstappen not finish the race.
I want Hamilton to win, I don't think that's a surprise to anyone.

But what I really want is a clean fight between Lewis and Max. No silliness from either. And if Max drives around Lewis on the final lap in a beautifully executed overtake, then I'll celebrate him taking his first title. And if it's vice versa, then I would hope our Max-supporting friends hereabouts would do the same for Lewis. It's that simple for me.

WaikeCU

KeiKo403 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 16:52
WaikeCU wrote:
Makes me glad we don’t have a fan boost equivalent!
Don't think the RB has brakes to cope with all that power if so :lol:

dans79

Phil wrote:

Don't be so sure, Mosely warned all the drivers before the last race of 97, that actions that unfairly altered the outcome of championship would be dealt with harshly.
201 105 104 9 9 7

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:34
siskue2005 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:13
All this warning of points deduction and crash.... I think from the track layout and competitiveness, Max and Lewis won't even come close to make a meaningful crash! Just anticlimax
I think you'll be correct there - I think all of the build up and tension will promise much but we'll end up with an anti-climax with either Lewis or Max romping off and taking the title without incident.
Which I hope is the case… I much rather have the WDC won by whomever was fastest in the race, than by controversy… Even if that means that we don’t have on track battles during the last race between those 2

basti313
basti313

WaikeCU wrote:
Quite funny I posted something about the Dutch pundits and it gets taken off here, all the while some others are talking about pundits as well.

Surely one can't talk about it as a reason why FIA are thinking that point deduction can be done when actions are questionable on track. If media brainwashes fans into thinking that these questionable actions on track are all allowed and a way to win the championship in the end, then one should be questioned how likely the possibility there is to such thing to happen.

Well, I do not know....the last pages are again covered with how bad Max is by Ham fans. Talking about dutch in this sense is just disgusting they way most of these posts are. The Max fans are surprisingly quiet to be honest, maybe because they know there is no realistic chance. Maybe Ham fans could calm down as well, the situation who will win is clear.

I think the FIA communication is really bad. One can communicate like this internally. And not even this is good. As we know that Ham is without fault I see more danger with him divebombing Ves than Ves Ham with this announcement. Maybe we are lucky and the two just crash each other out in the first corner and we see a nice race in Formula 1.5.
Don`t russel the hamster!

WaikeCU

basti313 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 18:27
WaikeCU wrote:

Well, I do not know....the last pages are again covered with how bad Max is by Ham fans. Talking about dutch in this sense is just disgusting they way most of these posts are. The Max fans are surprisingly quiet to be honest, maybe because they know there is no realistic chance. Maybe Ham fans could calm down as well, the situation who will win is clear.

I think the FIA communication is really bad. One can communicate like this internally. And not even this is good. As we know that Ham is without fault I see more danger with him divebombing Ves than Ves Ham with this announcement. Maybe we are lucky and the two just crash each other out in the first corner and we see a nice race in Formula 1.5.
FIA communication? I think these rules about deduction of points only apply to car 33 and 44 as we speak.

Can you imagine rules only applicable to two competitors?

SiLo

WaikeCU wrote:
As a fan of the sport for longer than Max has been alive, that comment just annoyed me. He's 24 now, he needs to grow up and realise that his dad, Horner and Marko are not good people to have around him.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 18:27
WaikeCU wrote:

Max has been very public and very vocal in saying that he thinks forcing people off the road, divebombing in to corners and taking the place by cutting the chicane, etc., is all "racing" in his view. He uses these tactics and thinks these tactics are ok. Masi is reminding him (and all the others, naturally) that it is not "racing".

Sadly, I think this is "a dollar short and a day late" to quote one of Brundle's favourite idioms and should have been done several seasons ago.

Hamilton certainly won't dive bomb Max for the simple reason that Max has nothing to lose in such a situation - "sorry, I just didn't see him in my mirror". To think he's going to try a move that DNFs Max but leaves him intact and racing is just bizarre.

Hamilton won't divebomb anyone for the simple reason that he has to finish the race in order to have a chance of the title. He will be driving around treating everyone like they have the plague. His best hope is to qualify at the front and get the perfect start. Anything else puts him at risk with other cars around him.

To reiterate - Hamilton can't afford a DNF even if Max DNFs with him. Max can afford a DNF that takes Hamilton out too. Masi is simply telling everyone that he and the stewards know this too. If you don't understand that, then there's nothing more to be said.