2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tiny73
Tiny73

Re: 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

Aesop wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 21:42
chrisc90 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:51
Taperoo2k - True. I think in the heat of it - Max probably did get a little aggrieved in 2021. There was a WDC on the line and it was Max's first. I think anyone can understand the pressure and determination to do everything you can to get your ultimate goal. 2022/23 comes round I think Max has changed his mindset and driving style a lot. We know he can race good and hard when required, but I also think he knows its best not to risk throwing away points and come 2nd than not score points at all. Max will fight for the win tomorrow. Same with Lewis and Lando. Lets hope that lap 1 remains clean and we can have a proper race on our hands - as lets face :mrgreen: it - the last 2 races have been exactly that and this weekend looks the closest of them all.
I think at the time :mrgreen: Max was aware of Mercedes sudden engine and car advantage. He did everything he had to do to and then some. Probably crossed the line couple of times but i dont blame him. Tomorrow should be different. He has the better car so can play the long game. Lewis knows this so I dont expect any drama.
“Probably crossed the line a couple of times”. :mrgreen:

Jambier

How is that possible for Aston to be so slow ?
They will finish the year fighting with Alpha Tauri

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:56
search wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:41
AMG.Tzan wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 18:42

Aston Martin, Ferrari and Red Bull seem to have gone a bit backwards though, haven't they??
Hamilton seems to think so. DRS advantage gone, according to him

I think it has never worked as well on Red Bull's high downforce wing, though?!
RB never had a DRS advantage when they run their max high downforce wings. This trend was also present last year.

Hamilton is simply mistaken about his conclusions.
Obviously everyone with brain cells knows this since last year (RB18 was not very fast on straights whenever they ran their high DF wing), but this is just how hamilton/toto/russell/mercedes operate, they use media to throw mud slinging competition and stir sh1t up,... and people call horner the sh1t stirrer extraordinaire hahaha lol. Just listening to this interview you can hear the disingenuous tone in hamilton's voice. I've listened to hundreds of his interviews and can spot forced narratives from miles away.
And yeah, hamilton is far from stupid and knows full well he's talking bollocks, but for whatever reason he's told to suddenly feed this narrative to the media. Last time mercedes used this tactic it resulted in TD39 in 2022 and before that it was a clampdown on flexy rear wing in 2021.

Not to mention RB had their usual DRS advantage just a race ago in silverstone.

piast9
piast9

Jambier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 22:48
Slow? Fernando was about 0.4 s behind Max, like on many occasions this season. It's just the others who caught up.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 23:21
AR3-GP wrote:
search wrote:

RB never had a DRS advantage when they run their max high downforce wings. This trend was also present last year.

Obviously everyone with brain cells knows this since last year (RB18 was not very fast on straights whenever they ran their high DF wing), but this is just how hamilton/toto/russell/mercedes operate, they use media to throw mud slinging competition and stir sh1t up,... and people call horner the sh1t stirrer extraordinaire hahaha lol. Just listening to this interview you can hear the disingenuous tone in hamilton's voice. I've listened to hundreds of his interviews and can spot forced narratives from miles away.
And yeah, hamilton is far from stupid and knows full well he's talking bollocks, but for whatever reason he's told to suddenly feed this narrative to the media. Last time mercedes used this tactic it resulted in TD39 in 2022 and before that it was a clampdown on flexy rear wing in 2021.

Likewise, I'm very familiar with the Hamilton psy-ops. He and Fernando are by far the masters of these tactics...Russell is a worthy protege...

I just cannot work out the motivation for it in this circumstance. I cannot make the connection to any potential regulations change.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 22 Jul 2023, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

piast9 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 23:35
Jambier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 22:48
Slow? Fernando was about 0.4 s behind Max, like on many occasions this season. It's just the others who caught up.
4 tenths in hungary is not the same as 4 tenths elsewhere. Hungary is a shorter track. Keep in mind that this was supposed to be one of their "best tracks". That's adding some extra curiosity to their woes.

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 23:39
I just cannot work out the motivation for it in this circumstance. I cannot make the connection to any potential regulations change.
If not for a TD push then it's out of spite. Now there will be a gazillion plebs all over the intewebz implying rb19 is illegal. They can't keep their mouths shut for the life of them.

chrisc90

Juzh wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 23:46
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 23:39
If not for a TD push then it's out of spite. Now there will be a gazillion plebs all over the intewebz implying rb19 is illegal. They can't keep their mouths shut for the life of them.
People have been saying it for a year and a half. Won’t change anything.

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Juzh wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
search wrote:

It's in your head. You and your click would have us believe every utterance from Hamilton must have some ulterior motive. It's gotten so tiring.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

@Juzh, Scarbs said the following:

Juzh

rifrafs2kees wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 23:53
Juzh wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

It's in your head. You and your click would have us believe every utterance from Hamilton must have some ulterior motive. It's gotten so tiring.
Yeah, months and months of crying in media about flexy wing and TD39 were also "just in my head". Fact is whenever anyone affiliated with mercedes comes out with these accusations they got some motive behind them, and as I said, it could also just be petty spite.

ab_f1
ab_f1

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:51
morefirejules08 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:45
chrisc90 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:23

I really dont think mind games affect Max. He's never been the guy to be affected by the mind games from others. 2021 was an example of that. Max just gets in the car and drives it to the best he can.
😂😂😂 I mean that is demonstrably wrong.
Care to elaborate?
We can agree to disagree but Lewis does affects Max. In Austria he break tested Lewis when he felt impeded by him, not sure if it was FP or qualifying.
And also you may call it just virtual racing but there is that incident from last week at spa when he deliberately shunted someone when he felt impeded.
He is a passionate racer and races for wins instead of points. And it shows up.

langedweil

taperoo2k wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:56
Overall I think the new qualifying rules have worked out fairly well for mixing the grid up.
You can argue about less running in the practise sessions, but I think this is the change F1/Liberty will push for.
Tbh I'd say order of the grid has little to nothing to do with this silly qualy-format. It's just that, silly. Following this line of thinking in 2027 we'll have a Q2 where everybody has to drive backwards ...

As an outlier Hungary qualifying has always seen extremely little differences and surprise poles. For example, in recent years Hungary and Monaco were always the tracks where RB or Fer could challenge for pole during the dominating mercedes era (didn't always make it, but were fairly close).

The format would be a whole lot better if tire allocations would be left alone .. this is in a sense killing the Friday. If thats what's desired, than why not just slash them Fridays? Feels at least a lot more genuine than that stupendous see-us-being-green-as-f**8 virtue signaling by allegedly 'saving' 2 sets of tires per car.

But .. I'm just a grumpy old man, and now it's off my chest 😎
HuggaWugga !

ringo

The comments on what people think Hamilton is doing is just silly.
Nothing he said is untrue or provocative.
The data shows it. He is 100% right.
The DRS advantage has weakened. Correct?

If getting into Max and Horner's head is a side effect then all the better for Mercedes.

I did not see the qualy unfortunately but looks like Hamilton's late braking style helped him here and possible how the w14 was using the tyres. Maybe they did not overheat as early as the RB19.
The RB19 and MCL are still the faster cars. They should be able to pass Lewis in the stops or push him to wear out his tyres then overtake.

I am kinda expecting Lewis to lock up into turn 1 because of pressure from the young guns behind. But if he survives lap1, I think he could win. The mclarens will fight Max hard.
Last edited by ringo on 23 Jul 2023, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

denyall

ringo wrote:The comments on what people think Hamilton is doing is just silly.
Nothing he said is untrue or provocative.
The data shows it. He is 100% right.
The DRS advantage has weakened. Correct?

If getting into Max and Horner's head is a side effect then all the better for Mercedes.

I did not see the qualy unfortunately but looks like Hamilton's late braking style helped him hear and possible how the w14 was using the tyres. Maybe they did not overheat as early as the RB19.
The RB19 and MCL are still the faster cars. They should be able to pass Lewis in the stops or push him to wear out his tyres then overtake.

I am kinda expecting Lewis to lock up into turn 1 because of pressure from the young guns behind. But if he survives lap1, I think he could win. The mclarens will fight Max hard.
I don't expect a Lewis lock up as much as I expect T1 bumper cars. The near impossible task of overtaking here will encourage it. With Norris post qualy comments, I expect him to be full beans into T1 along with Max who knows no other way. Depending on where the cars are it could get spicy

I think the undercut timing will be key and whoever pulls the trigger first will likely win.