Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Apexseal157

Re: Red Bull RB20

LM10 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:51
Seems like the question whether it’s a high horizontal or a vertical inlet will remain unanswered until testing.

My personal armchair-expert opinion is that vertical inlets would only make sense with zeropods which the RB20 obviously doesn’t have. Other than that I can’t see how putting the inlets vertically would give an advantage over horizontally in a place with undisturbed clean air going through.
i agree although i wouldn't discount both like the alpine/merc with the vertical inlet blending into the horizontal slot (much more extreme geometry) on the 3d model ( https://rb20-model-viewer.glitch.me/ ) you can see a stange crease in the monocoque right below the horizontal inlet that lines up with the supposed vertical inlet seen on the show car https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGZztbRWcAA ... name=large could be an s-duct too but that'll be discovered in testing

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:53
Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:43
Andi76 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 22:46
I would say they indeed were conservative, because apart from the sidepod inlet it's actually a very conservative evolution. And I doubt whether Over instead of Underbite will change that.
If we compare launch spec RB18 to launch spec RB19 there was a lot of clear improvement and aggressive evolution. This launch spec of RB20 is closer to RB18 level of details in most areas of top side bodywork, so I would also call it conservstive. They clearly wanted to open a new development direction for it and as such the first solution is usually either conservative or unreliable/unpredictable and no team can afford to do the latter wirh only 3 days of pre season testing
I understand what you mean but I think it's a little bit of semantics.

The RB20 differs from the RB19 in more ways than the RB18->RB19. That's all I'm saying. You have stated it more as in the detail on the RB20 is not as advanced as the detail on the RB19, but that's not what I meant, but it is an interesting point to make as well. For what it's worth, it's reported that RB already has a "bahrain package" which might be similar to 2022's sidepod update.
I'm all about making interesting points 8)

As long as there is a car that will actually race to examine :lol: So I will wait with detailed analysis of RB20 I guess until the final day of Bahrain test.

So far there's nothing spectacular to say really. Front wing keeps going back and forth on all cars, airbox is back to RB18 size, sidepods have smaller undercut throat to provide more pressurisation to make up for lost airflow foing into that vertical inlet, wherever it may lead. Huge drop on engine cover outlet is curious, we need actual rear shots to say more...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 00:03
AR3-GP wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:53
Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:43

If we compare launch spec RB18 to launch spec RB19 there was a lot of clear improvement and aggressive evolution. This launch spec of RB20 is closer to RB18 level of details in most areas of top side bodywork, so I would also call it conservstive. They clearly wanted to open a new development direction for it and as such the first solution is usually either conservative or unreliable/unpredictable and no team can afford to do the latter wirh only 3 days of pre season testing
I understand what you mean but I think it's a little bit of semantics.

The RB20 differs from the RB19 in more ways than the RB18->RB19. That's all I'm saying. You have stated it more as in the detail on the RB20 is not as advanced as the detail on the RB19, but that's not what I meant, but it is an interesting point to make as well. For what it's worth, it's reported that RB already has a "bahrain package" which might be similar to 2022's sidepod update.
I'm all about making interesting points 8)

As long as there is a car that will actually race to examine :lol: So I will wait with detailed analysis of RB20 I guess until the final day of Bahrain test.

So far there's nothing spectacular to say really. Front wing keeps going back and forth on all cars, airbox is back to RB18 size, sidepods have smaller undercut throat to provide more pressurisation to make up for lost airflow foing into that vertical inlet, wherever it may lead. Huge drop on engine cover outlet is curious, we need actual rear shots to say more...
Here's the render fwiw:

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:56
I also buy into the 2 inlet theory with the vertical inlet being the s-duct

Cardile laughing right now :D

Jokes aside, interesting theory. Ferrari also kept their "S-Duct system" on the SF24 which means there must be some sort of aero benefit.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f-duct? :wtf:

organic

Presumably for driver cooling ? They don't have an inlet on the nose

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:56
I also buy into the 2 inlet theory with the vertical inlet being the s-duct

I agree with this model. The rendering is a "stripped" model of the real car where the interesting bits are removed but I believe the render is actually the basic layout of the car (including the shark mouth intakes).

Venturiation
Venturiation

From reddit

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
FNTC wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:36
https://racer.com/2024/02/15/red-bull-s ... e-on-rb20/

Horner:
“I think there’s some great innovation on the car as well, which will no doubt get scrutinized over the coming weeks. Creativity has been strong in the team and you can see that in some of the solutions that they’ve come up with. It’s not a conservative evolution — there’s some great innovation on this car.”
dialtone wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:30
If RB20 is a huge change we haven’t seen that change yet. So far it’s a lip and maybe a sidepod intake.
I don’t know why you pick on me. I’ve said nothing weird or shocking.

Right now the floor edge is hidden, the sidepods are fake, suspensions are the same and so on. When the final package will be around then we can discuss the revolution of the car. Right now there’s not much revolutionary to see in my opinion.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai
KimiRai

So RB must think the weight advantage of the air - air intercoolers is bigger than the aero gain of a deep waterslide, maybe?

Last edited by KimiRai on 16 Feb 2024, 00:29, edited 3 times in total.

Apexseal157

dialtone wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 22:26
Apexseal157 wrote:
Venturiation wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 22:20

Yes this is it
i think it's an s-duct not the main cooling inlet
Where is the outlet of the s-duct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wouldn't surprise me if that is hidden/blocked off with all the trickery they are trying to pull right now, I think its an s-duct with a horizontal inlet. I agree that its not revolutionary but you can see the concept is aggresive, the cannon the most extreme yet and we can all agree that what we'll see in bahrain will be a step forward. I dont think it's "fake" but probably a early verison of the rb20

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

If this is the Real RB20 then they really didn't or couldn't do much change. They made some S-duct, but we know you can't just blow through the air without pass it through on something for cooling purposes,so is doesn't really an Advantage. They have small horizontal catfish inlet and that's it. Everything else looks the same. In my view Aston and Mercedes made much better job or more job.

f1rules
f1rules

lol, wow, wtf, etc. etc. one can just admire their courage, boldness, creativity and always going all in, in the persuit of performance, wow, just wow :shock: :shock:

Apexseal157

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 00:38
If this is the Real RB20 then they really didn't or couldn't do much change. They made some S-duct, but we know you can't just blow through the air without pass it through on something for cooling purposes,so is doesn't really an Advantage. They have small horizontal catfish inlet and that's it. Everything else looks the same. In my view Aston and Mercedes made much better job or more job.
like I said this is probably a early version of the rb20 not a fake but Im sure they will bring a lot of stuff we aren't seeing here to bahrain