2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
bluechris

Re: 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

All this debate is pointless, we will see in the 1st laps with Max behind if RB lost its DRS speed behind another car.

Otromundo

I don't like the new policy with the tyres, it seems to me that it is adding an excessive complication to something already complicated in itself. I think the surprising starting grid is closely related. And that since Silverstone things have also changed precisely because of this.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Zynerji

Otromundo wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 05:40
I don't like the new policy with the tyres, it seems to me that it is adding an excessive complication to something already complicated in itself. I think the surprising starting grid is closely related. And that since Silverstone things have also changed precisely because of this.
That was the most thrilling qualifying that I can remember watching live. Do the tyre thing, and bring back any-zone DRS.

We could see some unbelievable laps!

omegacel71

Watching the last attempt at quali lap of Verstappen, he lost his rear before turn 6 entry where the Mercedes was already very good in those tight corners. I think the domination by Max will still continue after they dial their setup in. Still the favorite to win this race by some margin imo.

search

Strategies & avalable tyre sets, from Pirelli:

+ laps completed on those used tyres (by myself):

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

search wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 10:06

https://i.imgur.com/Kj1PJ7c.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RU3e20X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wo1GvSh.png
Didn’t Norris have a new set of mediums? He only did one run in Q2

search

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 10:52
search wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 10:06

https://i.imgur.com/Kj1PJ7c.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RU3e20X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wo1GvSh.png
Didn’t Norris have a new set of mediums? He only did one run in Q2
you're right, yes, my mistake.

jurinius
jurinius

Hamilton staying on top will depend on how much he is ahead after the S1. Looks like he was doing very well in S2 all the FP.

Let's see if he can bring a win back to Mercs.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

omegacel71

Both Toto after Quali and Hamilton today in the driver's parade said that Red Bull were 0.5-1 seconds faster on the long runs. They will mostly focus on beating the McLarens and staying on the podium.

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:46
On the flip side of Lewis' comments there then it means that Mercedes have taken a 2 tenths minimum upgrade with just a front wing and a suspension camber tweak and a rear endplate design. Sceptical. It is only fair to evaluate upgrades over the course of 2-3 races to get a idea of what is going on. That's not including the deficit to RB that Mercedes had prior to Hungary.

Next week at Spa will confirm/or deny the fact that Lewis thinks the RB DRS advantage has gone.

Lewis - don't run before you can walk.
The hungary track characteristics is what might make the DRS not advantage null. Can't just release it too early before the tyres hook up and you can't leave it open too late on this twisty circuit
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I wouldn't be surprised if Verstappen is down to 3rd after the start here. Upon reviewing the last 8-9 years of starts in Hungary, P2 is a wretched starting position. On the evidence, the track seems to develop a big difference in grip between the racing line and off the racing line.

Gillian
Gillian

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 14:01
chrisc90 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:46
On the flip side of Lewis' comments there then it means that Mercedes have taken a 2 tenths minimum upgrade with just a front wing and a suspension camber tweak and a rear endplate design. Sceptical. It is only fair to evaluate upgrades over the course of 2-3 races to get a idea of what is going on. That's not including the deficit to RB that Mercedes had prior to Hungary.

Next week at Spa will confirm/or deny the fact that Lewis thinks the RB DRS advantage has gone.

Lewis - don't run before you can walk.
The hungary track characteristics is what might make the DRS not advantage null. Can't just release it too early before the tyres hook up and you can't leave it open too late on this twisty circuit
Yes + RB hasn't looked hooked up at all... understeering etc. I think we'll see a different picture next week.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 14:16
I wouldn't be surprised if Verstappen is down to 3rd after the start here. Upon reviewing the last 8-9 years of starts in Hungary, P2 is a wretched starting position. On the evidence, the track seems to develop a big difference in grip between the racing line and off the racing line.
Has it rained overnight? Track could be pretty green?

jurinius
jurinius

omegacel71 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 13:59
Both Toto after Quali and Hamilton today in the driver's parade said that Red Bull were 0.5-1 seconds faster on the long runs. They will mostly focus on beating the McLarens and staying on the podium.
Lowering the expectations is fair but I hope their fighting spirit will overcome. Just avoid a sloppy start and see what happens...
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

chrisc90

Only 1 new tyre between the top teams. Guessing a lot of teams will be starting on the mediums.

Most likely M-H-H.

Imagine if the deg is worse than expected then teams will throw a 3 stopper into the mix.

Massive undercuts available here with the high tyre drop off.