Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316
f1316

Re: Ferrari SF-24

They had a lot of issues with wind direction change etc in 2023, I wonder if this could be related to that? Ie a test to understand how much this continues to be an issues in yaw - you would imagine a larger shark fin would exacerbate any issues they had and so could be a way to test for any underlying issue?

scuderiabrandon

f1316 wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 20:42
They had a lot of issues with wind direction change etc in 2023, I wonder if this could be related to that? Ie a test to understand how much this continues to be an issues in yaw - you would imagine a larger shark fin would exacerbate any issues they had and so could be a way to test for any underlying issue?
Cross wind sensitivity had more to do with rear corner inflow. Obviously something Ferrari didn't anticipate will be as much of an issue as it was with raising of the floor edges.

bagajohny
bagajohny

dialtone wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 19:59
bagajohny wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 19:25
dialtone wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 18:04

Shark fins help the car turning
How do they help in turning?

Good explanation.
Great video. And it was amusing to see him struggle with three markers in hand :lol:

bluechris

scuderiabrandon

bluechris wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 22:50
The rear wing fitted to the car in this vid is the one introduced at Spa last season. That to me will be the specification that replaces the old Baku spec.

Last season there were 7 different rear wing assemblies. This year I see a decrease to 4 or 5.

Andi76
Andi76

bagajohny wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 12:51
organic wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 11:10
organic wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 15:50
Better quality comparison photos of the two different engine covers run in the filming day

I believe most of the difference in appearance is due to lighting, but there's certainly a large difference in terms of sharkfin

📸 Ama.m_photo

https://i.imgur.com/zy1uEPa.jpeg
Article talks about the engine cover comparison and clarified that the spec 1, trimmed engine cover is the one that will be in use for the season

And they also talk about the car being able to run higher wings without balance issues unlike the sf-23. Which means tyre wear can be better and drs effect can be greater

Looks like due to cost cap they decided to invest in new rear wings rather than new rear suspension.
They have a new rear suspension....they just didn't switch from pull to pushrod, which makes sense if you think about it a bit more and look at the rest of this area. Like I said - it always depends on the car as a whole and what it "needs". Ferrari has raised the suspension by an innovative arrangement of the parts in the gearbox, which gives the necessary space for the aerodynamics of the floor and diffuser even without a pushrod. In return, however, the slightly better ride height control of the pullrod suspension is retained. Since last year at the latest, everyone should know that the most important thing is how low you can drive in the rear and here the Pullrod suspension has minimal advantages. So you kill two birds with one stone.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

There is a large chunk of posts going to be moved from this SF-24 Thread. - Please bear with me

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the Team Thread - i.e - who is fastest on plastic tyres on a shakedown is not for this thread.

Technical posts about the general use of shark fins - I am sure there are already threads on this
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Venturiation
Venturiation

scuderiabrandon

Two different rear wing ran during the filming day. Although all the public footage it ran with the medium downforce one (1st image). The second medium-low wing (last year's Spa specification) was only ran behind a filming vehicle, once again from the footage that is available to us (2nd image)

New medium downforce spec.

Last years Spa spec (medium-low)

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Ferrari raking behind the halo outlet / s duct outlet area

(sorry for the poor image)

Vanja #66

some very complex aero rakes now, 3D printing metal at its best

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Rear wing is quite wobbly

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

The edge wing runs all the way along the floor? :?:

deadhead

dialtone
dialtone

CaribouBread wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 10:11
The edge wing runs all the way along the floor? :?:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG2I0czW8AA ... ame=medium
Looks like it stops around where the trolley stops to me. There's a metal straight edge cover after that, they made that area a lot simpler than last year.