Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dialtone
dialtone

Red Bull RB20

Venturiation wrote:From reddit
Looking at this pic I don’t think those sidepods are that fake. They chopped off the frontal sidepod area up to the little wave that the old sidepod used to have.

The space in front of the sidepod is much bigger than before.

I’m going to venture they have both the vertical and horizontal inlets because they had to reorganize the radiators to make that space in front.

xReVo
xReVo

Re: Red Bull RB20

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 00:15
organic wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:56
I also buy into the 2 inlet theory with the vertical inlet being the s-duct

I agree with this model. The rendering is a "stripped" model of the real car where the interesting bits are removed but I believe the render is actually the basic layout of the car (including the shark mouth intakes).
The exit of the S duct is the one at the end of the lower belly, look carefully. He was also present last year

dialtone
dialtone

xReVo wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 00:15
organic wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:56
I also buy into the 2 inlet theory with the vertical inlet being the s-duct

I agree with this model. The rendering is a "stripped" model of the real car where the interesting bits are removed but I believe the render is actually the basic layout of the car (including the shark mouth intakes).
The exit of the S duct is the one at the end of the lower belly, look carefully. He was also present last year
You cannot do that. The S-duct is very limited, the legality box for it basically around the driver safety cell. You can’t have that thing drive through the whole car. When Ferrari introduced theirs last year there were plenty of videos showing the legality box and explaining the rules.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The Dutch champion revealed that, despite Red Bull’s advantage over the rest of the field, the team didn’t simply settle for a conservative approach when it came to the design of the RB20. For his part, Verstappen confirmed that he’s pleased with the direction the technical team has taken, praising their commitment to pushing boundaries.

“I’m quite happy with the direction that they chose. I mean I saw the drawings, I think Abu Dhabi, in Abu Dhabi the last race, and I was like, ‘wow, that’s quite different in a way’. And, yeah, they’ve not been conservative, let’s say it like that,” he said.

“I think what I like about the team is that, we had a great package, but they took the chance to really go all out I would say to try to make it better.

“Of course, time will tell if it’s really, really good, but, yeah, from what I see within the team, everyone is just happy with what they have achieved in the winter.

“But then again, we don’t know, we can’t control what the other people do.”

Asked whether he felt there was a need for such an aggressive design approach, considering the RB19 was already such a highly competitive package, Verstappen explained: “Well, I think it’s controlled aggressiveness.”

“So, yeah, everyone is just happy with what… it’s not a—it doesn’t seem like it’s a question mark, like, they’re not entirely sure, so.”
https://www.pitdebrief.com/post/verstap ... o-all-out/

KimiRai
KimiRai

Red Bull's approach has been to camouflage as much as possible all their innovations: the 2022 launch was the stock f1 car and the 2023 launch was last year's car. If this is the real car it's strange that they've finally decided to show it partially at the launch

dren

Wide nose treatment similar to Ferrari but pushed to the lowest element.
Honda!

f1rules
f1rules

yeah very unlike RB, so either they are misleading and it will look different next week, or they know their "creative solutions" cant be copied in season by others or they are just so confident they dont care :-)

f1rules
f1rules

looking at this, im unsure, if the nosecone goes all the way, it looks almost like an add on panel, the front part, on this picture
Last edited by f1rules on 16 Feb 2024, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone
dialtone

Red Bull RB20

KimiRai wrote:
dren wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 01:16
Apparently some people are saying they believe the nose is fake so we'll see
The wing is fake. KYLE.ENGINEERS on youtube writes:
The new RedBull launch doesn’t really have a huge amount to talk about other than speculation on the bodywork. The floor edge is covered, the front wing might be fake (and is vanilla if it isn’t) and the sidepod inlet is barely visible. Thoughts?
So yeah there’s some reveal in this car but it’s really not the car yet, especially if they say they were bold.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 01:21
KimiRai wrote:
dren wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 01:16
Apparently some people are saying they believe the nose is fake so we'll see
The wing is fake. KYLE.ENGINEERS on youtube writes:
The new RedBull launch doesn’t really have a huge amount to talk about other than speculation on the bodywork. The floor edge is covered, the front wing might be fake (and is vanilla if it isn’t) and the sidepod inlet is barely visible. Thoughts?
So yeah there’s some reveal in this car but it’s really not the car yet, especially if they say they were bold.
Red Bull already said last year that front wing tricks is not where the performance is under these regs.

dren

f1rules wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 01:21
looking at this, im unsure, if the nosecone goes all the way, it looks almost like an add on panel, the front part, on this picture
https://i.imgur.com/ArWpSGO.jpg
I think that is an illusion from that angle due to the way the yellow is painted on the nose.
Honda!

FNTC
FNTC

If you zoom in on the nose there, there appears to be a vanity cover there, which might be there to make it look like the nose goes to the first element, while it in reality might go to the second, like f1rules wrote. There is something about the angles that doesn't match up with the yellow area too. :-k

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Another good shot of the vertical inlet

KimiRai
KimiRai

This looks fake to me

organic

KimiRai wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 02:14
This looks fake to me

https://i.imgur.com/JXzmYSM.png
I am inclined to agree. Gary Anderson who was at the launch suggests something more radical at the nose may appear at Bahrain testing. The panel looks very makeshift and there is no cooling ducts on the nose like there usually are.

He also states that RB failed front crash tests and then would have a relatively uninteresting and long nose seems counterintuitive. Now Anderson isn't the highest authority but it's another voice of suspicion about the nose.