2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

M840TR wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 07:02
Venturiation wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 18:37
About the comment by zak about supercharged team are they aiming to get newey? His contract finishes soon with Redbull
I keep seeing these comments online and sometimes in the media about Newey joining this team or that team. People don't seem to clearly understand his position in Redbull. Newey quite literally is Redbull - he built the entire team from the ground with Horner, Marko and Mateschitz. Not just design the car, but the factory and human capital. Heck he's practically family to a lot Redbull member like Horner. He's never gonna leave Redbull for another F1 team no matter what.
I agree, can't see him leaving Red Bull and remaining in the sport. I'm not sure any team would even try anymore, Ferrari and Renault were turned down in recent years. But, just for the sake of conversation, and the never say never motto, with Mateschitz passing, tension between Marko and new management, who knows?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

https://www.planetf1.com/news/zak-brown ... gas-fight/

Something to make us laugh during the break...

ali623
ali623

Venturiation wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 18:37
About the comment by zak about supercharged team are they aiming to get newey? His contract finishes soon with Redbull
No way Newey joins another team this late in his career, he'll stay on a few more years at Red Bull before retiring.

Lucky
Lucky

mclaren111

Motorsport.com:
McLaren has planned a relaunch plan for the papaya single-seater that will start right from Baku with a package of technical innovations that will be corroborated at Imola by other interventions: the team is trying to react to the difficulties and does not give up on the idea of ​​training the two drivers hoping to reposition the glorious brand in the positions it deserves.

The race at Imola will most probably be more telling...

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 13:52
Motorsport.com:
McLaren has planned a relaunch plan for the papaya single-seater that will start right from Baku with a package of technical innovations that will be corroborated at Imola by other interventions: the team is trying to react to the difficulties and does not give up on the idea of ​​training the two drivers hoping to reposition the glorious brand in the positions it deserves.

The race at Imola will most probably be more telling...
James Key had hinted that Imola would see further development of the floor philosophy. Hopefully all is still on track.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

coltmarshmallow
coltmarshmallow

I know we're not where we want to be but I'm a little worried about shuffling technical departments. Don't want to turn into Ferrari rotating staff all the time for scapegoats.

If the car gets faster do we credit James Key fixing the problem and not being around or the new guys coming in?

PhillipM
PhillipM

The current package and the one before summer break is all the current teams work tbfh.

MrGapes

PhillipM wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 01:42
The current package and the one before summer break is all the current teams work tbfh.
Current team.. as in the newly restructured technical team?

mclaren111

MrGapes wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 06:36
PhillipM wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 01:42
Current team.. as in the newly restructured technical team?

Would think old with new people adding as they join... This work started in October / Noverber 2022 already...

New structure only started in February 2023...

Wouter

Norris: 'Piastri pushes me more than Ricciardo'

Bas Holtkamp
April 7, 2023

Oscar Piastri is making a positive impression so far in his first Formula One season. During qualifying in Saudi Arabia, he beat McLaren teammate Lando Norris, and in Australia, from P16, he actually scored points in his home race. Norris is therefore full of praise for the start his new teammate has made in the king class.

"He's doing very well, honestly. He handles pressure extremely well, I think that's one of his strengths," the Brit told Channel 4.
"He's calm, controlled and fast, so he has a lot of what you need. Also, he pushes me more compared to the opposition I've had in recent years, which is also a good thing for us as a team."

By this opposition, Norris was referring to Daniel Ricciardo. The Australian, who is now employed as a third driver at Red Bull Racing, recently indicated that it has been a difficult few years for him professionally and is happy to have returned to the old nest

Translated with www.DeepL.com
The Power of Dreams!

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 18:41
Was it a mistake? We do not know who else was available at the time, it may have been Hobsons Choice.
Did McLaren not have the chance to make an offer to retain the highly rated Pat Fry?

Did Fry already have a Renault pre-contract when working at McLaren?

Lucky wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 13:25
Phew, that's a relief! =D>

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 16:01
Big Tea wrote:
Was it a mistake? We do not know who else was available at the time, it may have been Hobsons Choice.
Did McLaren not have the chance to make an offer to retain the highly rated Pat Fry?

Is Pat Fry setting the world on fire at Alpine?

JordanMugen

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 16:25
JordanMugen wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Is Pat Fry setting the world on fire at Alpine?
Certainly. The Alpine was hanging on to the Ferraris in Melbourne. It was a fast car!

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Lucky wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 13:25
Phew, that's a relief! =D>
There is always more to contracts than we get to hear. One faction may not want X and another wants Y at all costs and Z says no we need that money for 'this' it gives better returns. I is probably never as easy as one person saying 'hey, you want to work of us? sign here'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.