2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Singapore is probably the big threat due to safety car lottery.

ME4ME

A case of performance aiding reliabilty in the end.

You'd wonder after all this ongoing success how the people at Honda feel about this. They're still there getting seen winning, but it could've been so much more. More recognition, more acknowledgement of their contribution.

organic

Seems they had to use a lower engine mode to protect themselves from something. My guess is overheating from a cooling issue -> lower engine mode and temps under control

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 18:34
Seems they had to use a lower engine mode to protect themselves from something. My guess is overheating from a cooling issue -> lower engine mode and temps under control

https://i.imgur.com/9zvvmfI.jpeg
It was said elsewhere that it was a brake issue. So probably turning everything down in order for the brakes (maybe the harvesting?) to have less work to do. It could be overheating of the MGU-K, or reducing the harvesting to manage one issue, leading to knock on effect of overheating mechanical brakes, and generally just having to drive much slower to keep temps under control.

This weekend has been a bit of a mess for RBPT between the Perez leak, the Tsunoda retirement, and the Max's issue. 3 out of 4 cars struggling at one point.

MDrop17
MDrop17

organic wrote:

He was told to do heavy lift and coasting so that explains the much lower top speed. As far as I know youre not allowed to use different engine modes anymore, only different ERS deployment.

Speaking of which, did anybody else think that AWS battery graphic that we saw was a load of BS?

organic

Marko:
"We did ask Max in the closing stages to slow down because of the tire temperature, so that he could safely drive the car to the finish.”
He also thinks if RB win Singapore, winning every race is very doable

chrisc90

It’s definitely the target - to win every race.

Given Brazil last year where we were beaten - if that result was different it would have been some feat of wins for Redbull.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 19:35
Marko:
"We did ask Max in the closing stages to slow down because of the tire temperature, so that he could safely drive the car to the finish.”
He also thinks if RB win Singapore, winning every race is very doable
I don't see any reason here why tire temperature would have been critical since he was cruising. I rather think there's a mechanical problem here (maybe cut back on the harvesting), which lead to hot brakes, which fed into overheating the tires.

MDrop17
MDrop17

Toto Wolff is still making interesting comments about Redbull/Max Verstappen's dominance:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolf ... /10515803/

Wouter

MDrop17 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 20:04
Toto Wolff is still making interesting comments about Redbull/Max Verstappen's dominance:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff ... /10515824/
Wolff: Verstappen F1 wins record “is for Wikipedia”....👀

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff has said Max Verstappen’s historic 10th consecutive Formula 1 win
“is for Wikipedia and nobody reads that anyway.

Verstappen’s Italian GP victory has broken the all-time record for most consecutive F1 wins, while Red Bull also set a new record for most team wins in a row with 15, and while delighted to make further grand prix racing history, the Dutch driver hadn't been focused on the feat.

Mercedes boss Wolff has also played down the value of the most consecutive wins record while highlighting Verstappen’s indifference to the achievement.

When quizzed about Mercedes never breaking the most consecutive wins record, Wolff told Sky Sports F1:
“Our situation was a little bit different because we had two guys fighting against each other within the team.

“I don’t know if he cares about the records. It is not something that would be important for me, those numbers,
it is for Wikipedia and nobody reads that anyway.”
Last edited by Wouter on 03 Sep 2023, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

MDrop17 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 20:04

Just sour grapes. No deliberation needed.

TNTHead

Really nice to see RB getting a 1-2 today. Ferrari made it less of a walk over with low DF set up and probably turned up engine at Monza. VER is also mastering low risk moves and more playing the long game. That alone is already impressive.

chrisc90

TNTHead wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 20:16
Really nice to see RB getting a 1-2 today. Ferrari made it less of a walk over with low DF set up and probably turned up engine at Monza. VER is also mastering low risk moves and more playing the long game. That alone is already impressive.
It was never in doubt really. I said initially Ferrari would have to be super careful looking after the tyres today against RB - and it played out exactly as expected.
Some strong elbows out from Sainz didn’t make it easy for Max. Sainz was costing max probably around a second a lap in race pace given the gap Max pulled and Checo closed on both Ferrari’s.

TNTHead

For sure but Ferrari made overtaking a lot more difficult with high top speed. More risky for VER to damage something in the attempts to pass, but he managed it well.
PER by the way was doing good today, hopefully he has his mojo back.

Juzh

MDrop17 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 19:17
organic wrote:

He was told to do heavy lift and coasting so that explains the much lower top speed. As far as I know youre not allowed to use different engine modes anymore, only different ERS deployment.

Speaking of which, did anybody else think that AWS battery graphic that we saw was a load of BS?
You can actually turn the engine down, but then can't turn it back up, and you have to have a reason ready for FIA why you've done so.
Graphic was classic AWS bull. Even if it's based on real data (probably it is in this case) they dumbed it down so much it's basically useless. It tells us nothing. Oh look Ver is deploying with battery at 30%, and sainz is at 50 and neutral, what does that even mean lol?