2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrstphrln

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

DGP123 wrote:
28 May 2024, 09:28
CHT wrote:
28 May 2024, 01:55
After tasted long string of unbroken successes it's natural for LH to struggle with this new reality of not having the media attentions due to lack of success on the track.

Moving to Ferrari may seems like the grass is greener on the other side but when LH get to the other side he will likely struggle in Ferrrari unless he is happy to just be Charles teammate within the team

Ferrari already have their postal boy Charles Lercler who is quick, popular, speaks fluent Italian, young and charming like a young prince without having to dress up like one.

To be hoesnt LH look pretty beaten both on and off track these days and considering how quick this new bred of esport F1 drivers are today, I think LH may not be able to regain back his confidence and dominate the sports like before. And it is not good for his legacy and mental wellbeing if he continues to be beaten by his teammate at Ferrari.
Thanks for the anti-ham nonsense
I don't see any "anti-ham nonsense" here, just a critical view of the current situation and a justified fear about future developments.

Quantum

Seems as though 2025 has the potential be a very tough season for Lewis.

The important detail will be how Ferrari work with him, as we saw in a different situation but a similar vibe with Vettel, Ferrari don't shield personalities, irrespective of record. When LeClerc was beating Vettel, there was no hiding place for Sebastian which led to a fairly ignominious exit(his radio silence and a few other examples).

With Hamilton presently, Merc are handling a hot potato. George is beating him regularly, and Hamilton is coming out with some cryptic interviews which leads his fanbase to blame the team. Some valid and some totally bereft of validity.
Some comments saying Hamilton is taking the newer parts/set ups and testing them when George can get on with a race weekend setup. If George tests the new part/set up and is quicker that narrative flips to become Mercedes favouring him. All a bit illogical.

For this last weekend the ire has been focussed on team strategy, which wasn't perfect. Fair enough, but moving to Ferrari is opening up another set of problems which is being ignored for now.

Yes Mercedes failed for 3 years in giving him the equipment needed to mount a title challenge. They deserve reasoned criticism for having dropped the ball. However sour the fans feel about that, are they also happy to sully his legacy with the team which defacto reflects poorly on Hamilton's own record? As in if the team are to debited now, then they are to be credited for the 6 titles he won.
They won together and they lose together. Both parties were lucky to have the other and the titles they won reflect that.
I can't help but feel that if Lewis remained at Mclaren though, would his fans have been happier with him being a 1 time WDC winner vs 7 with Merc?
Zoom out, chill.
"Interplay of triads"

Mosin123
Mosin123

CHT wrote:
LH has always been the no. 1 poster boy in F1 even in his first season with Mclaren.

After tasted long string of unbroken successes it's natural for LH to struggle with this new reality of not having the media attentions due to lack of success on the track.

Moving to Ferrari may seems like the grass is greener on the other side but when LH get to the other side he will likely struggle in Ferrrari unless he is happy to just be Charles teammate within the team

Ferrari already have their postal boy Charles Lercler who is quick, popular, speaks fluent Italian, young and charming like a young prince without having to dress up like one.

To be hoesnt LH look pretty beaten both on and off track these days and considering how quick this new bred of esport F1 drivers are today, I think LH may not be able to regain back his confidence and dominate the sports like before. And it is not good for his legacy and mental wellbeing if he continues to be beaten by his teammate at Ferrari.
I am sure if LH was lacking confidence, he wouldnt have signed at Ferrari. Hes leaving Mercades, I am sure he doesnt care how the season goes, fighting for 5th - 8th when the car he is going to drive next year is fighting for 1st- 5th, I am sure he would rather it was finished now and is just going through the motions like most people do when they are seeing out the last few days / weeks / months of a job they want out of. Its going to be like another golden age for lewis when he walks into Ferrari with Neway holding his hand, Making LH an 8th time champion at Ferrari would be far more beneficial for Ferrari than CL winning 3...

Dunlay
Dunlay

Mosin123 wrote:
28 May 2024, 10:05
CHT wrote:
LH has always been the no. 1 poster boy in F1 even in his first season with Mclaren.

I am sure if LH was lacking confidence, he wouldnt have signed at Ferrari. Hes leaving Mercades, I am sure he doesnt care how the season goes, fighting for 5th - 8th when the car he is going to drive next year is fighting for 1st- 5th, I am sure he would rather it was finished now and is just going through the motions like most people do when they are seeing out the last few days / weeks / months of a job they want out of. Its going to be like another golden age for lewis when he walks into Ferrari with Neway holding his hand, Making LH an 8th time champion at Ferrari would be far more beneficial for Ferrari than CL winning 3...
AMuS reports that Ferrari has stopped discussions with Newey and aren't interested anymore. May be they got tired of waiting for him to decide or not providing any optimistic answers. But they have a consistent upward trajectory for the past 12 months. So it shouldn't be such a big problem if they have a good pipeline of development, while Red Bull isn't running away.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Dunlay wrote:
28 May 2024, 10:10
Mosin123 wrote:
CHT wrote:

AMuS reports that Ferrari has stopped discussions with Newey and aren't interested anymore. May be they got tired of waiting for him to decide or not providing any optimistic answers.
And Ferrari said on a number of times they wasnt discussing a contract with LH, we all know how that turned out.

I also thought the latest rumour was he had signed for Ferrari. https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10206 ... ct-signed/

basti313
basti313

ringo wrote:
28 May 2024, 06:58
chrisc90 wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:03
Mercedes undercut chance was scuppered before even the outlap. If you look at the telemetry and the lap times for the in lap, and each out lap, if the positions were reversed, and Max was the one boxing to undercut, he would have done so pretty closely, even ignoring the outlap.

https://ibb.co/9cB80mC
https://ibb.co/Tq0ZBtc
https://ibb.co/TkJQkF2

Lap 50 - Which was Lewis' in-lap was a 1:35.209 (thats the lap that includes driving into the pitlane and box. And the stop itself presumibly).

Lap 51 - which was Max's in-lap was a 1:33.905 (again, the lap including the box and the stop) Which is 1.304 seconds faster over all, before any out-lap times were taken into account.

Closest Lewis was to Max during the start of his inlap 1.395 and actually increased to 1.6 to 1.8seconds on the actual inlap, rather than closing right up.

Lap 52, which was Lewis's out-lap was a 1:19.702

Lap 53 - which was Max's out-lap was a 1:18.724

Thats a difference of 0.978 across the out-laps (so basically a second).
If george backed up Max you can add lots of time to max's inlap. So Merc could have orchestrated ruining Max's race using both cars but didnt ask George for some reason.
Well, they screwed up in some way for sure. But I do not think this makes sense:
- Merc tried to keep Rus in the pit window of Norris. Small chance that the frontrunners screw up and they win one or two places.
- After Imola another one putting Ham in front of Rus by the pitwall...would have been a complete disaster politically, right? And it would have been difficult, the gap was quite big before the stops. So Rus would have needed to do a full stop with 4sec slower pace...not sure if this is realistic.
- Merc put Ham on the Hard. No idea why. They could have put on the Soft and go maximum on the undercut. Hards were never good for an undercut in Monaco. The Softs lasted without any issue.
- Ham did not push. Also here...no idea why. The team radio said that they did not tell him, but jeezzzz...why? Wasn't it clear to everyone that this is the time?
Don`t russel the hamster!

SiLo

Hams cryptic message wasn't really that cryptic, I think hes alluding to Russell now getting preferential treatment on upgrades, will be in technical debriefs etc. I still see Merc being fair on strategy if Lewis has a better chance at points/podium/win.
Felipe Baby!

chrisc90

ringo wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Mercedes undercut chance was scuppered before even the outlap. If you look at the telemetry and the lap times for the in lap, and each out lap, if the positions were reversed, and Max was the one boxing to undercut, he would have done so pretty closely, even ignoring the outlap.

Lap 50 - Which was Lewis' in-lap was a 1:35.209 (thats the lap that includes driving into the pitlane and box. And the stop itself presumibly).

Lap 51 - which was Max's in-lap was a 1:33.905 (again, the lap including the box and the stop) Which is 1.304 seconds faster over all, before any out-lap times were taken into account.

Closest Lewis was to Max during the start of his inlap 1.395 and actually increased to 1.6 to 1.8seconds on the actual inlap, rather than closing right up.

If george backed up Max you can add lots of time to max's inlap. So Merc could have orchestrated ruining Max's race using both cars but didnt ask George for some reason.
That would have worked. Meant Lewis would come out ahead of George however.
I suppose positions could have been inverted between Lewis and George if really wanted.

But, same could have been done for McLaren to get ahead of Sainz. ‘Dirty’ team play, but sometimes necessaryb

CHT
CHT

Mosin123 wrote:
CHT wrote:

Confidence or winning mindset needs to be converted to track position and points, else that will become just lip servicing. As 7xWDC and as one of the highest paid driver on the grid, I would think he has to be at least 0.20 sec quicker than his younger teammate. So its either GR is now as quick as LH or LH has already passed his prime, just like MS did when he came back from retirement.

If LH continue to believe Merc is not giving him the same equipment and he is always the one making the wrong call in set up, then I am afraid he is likely to continue to do so in Ferrari because Charles is a much quicker driver than GR and he is already playing the mind game to tell LH he is no.1 driver at Ferrari. Perhaps you are suggesting that LH will be blaming Adrian Newey for poor result at Ferrari next year?

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

I wonder what new upgrades Mercedes could bring to the race in Canada, when they already brought a good number of upgrades in Imola and Monaco?

Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

rijtuig wrote:
CHT wrote:

That washed up guy was third last year? LH will forever, and ever and ever live rent-free in many many minds.
If the season goes like this, Lewis is going to get beaten 2-1 by George. I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound so good for a seven-time champion who is still supposed to be top driver.

PlatinumZealot

Lewis doesn't care when he is given a rubbish car. See 2011. When the car's bandling imoroves he will start regularly beating Georg again. In fact watch those champion points. It's 16 more races to. It's far from over.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

ringo

Hamilton has declined. Has to! He is 39.
But still can race with the best. He said he will stop racing when he thinks he is too slow for it.
Coming 3rd last year in the 4th or 5th fastest car wasn't too washed up.
0.089 seconds slower than Russel while making tiny little errors while Russel was inch perfect with a fresh 24 year old brain ( or whatever his age is) and basically equal on pace. That's something to feel good about. We are here aguing about these gaps:

Monaco: +0.089
Imola: +0.234 with errors
Miami +0.04s
China +0.488 with lock up error in q1
Japan -0.242 big gap i dont recall the reason.
Australia +0.059
Saudi +.144
Bahrain +.255 big gap i dont recall the reason.

There really is nothing in it between them. Less than a tenth when both have a clean lap.

With 13 years difference in age. That's not too bad for being over the hill.
For Sure!!

Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

Lewis tends to be uncomfortable with shitboxes, while Russell deals better with them. Mercedes these days tends to be a shitbox, so if Mercedes were a championship car, Lewis might be the better driver because he knows how to deal with the pressure. But that's not an excuse; when the car isn't the best, you can't just make excuses that I do not care.

Also, I couldn't say Lewis is the same Lewis as he was five years ago. He was on top of the world, and now there are Verstappen and other drivers who are outperforming their teammates.

Just like Alonso, he is past his prime. There has to be some loss of speed as you age. No matter how many times you say, "I'll raise my hand when I know I'm getting slower," no professional driver would admit this. Only the people around you will notice.

maygun
maygun

ringo wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

If Redbull strategists are not stupid they would not decide the pit, the moment Max got back-up. I don't understand why this undercut discussion is stretched this much.