2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Mercedes undercut chance was scuppered before even the outlap. If you look at the telemetry and the lap times for the in lap, and each out lap, if the positions were reversed, and Max was the one boxing to undercut, he would have done so pretty closely, even ignoring the outlap.

Lap 50 - Which was Lewis' in-lap was a 1:35.209 (thats the lap that includes driving into the pitlane and box. And the stop itself presumibly).

Lap 51 - which was Max's in-lap was a 1:33.905 (again, the lap including the box and the stop) Which is 1.304 seconds faster over all, before any out-lap times were taken into account.

Closest Lewis was to Max during the start of his inlap 1.395 and actually increased to 1.6 to 1.8seconds on the actual inlap, rather than closing right up.

Lap 52, which was Lewis's out-lap was a 1:19.702

Lap 53 - which was Max's out-lap was a 1:18.724

Thats a difference of 0.978 across the out-laps (so basically a second).

Luscion
Luscion

Just some context for those saying Lewis quit Merc/ had no loyalty etc. There were multiple reports around the time he signed with Ferrari that Lewis had every intention to stay, he wanted a 3 year contract so he could have a seat for the new regs but was denied and only offered a 1 + 1 because they wanted to keep the option open for antonelli, Toto himself said this. Apparently the board also rejected making him an ambassador. That being said it's only normal Lewis would eventually be kept out of certain meetings and they would start prioritizing Russell.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Luscion wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:03
Just some context for those saying Lewis quit Merc/ had no loyalty etc. There were multiple reports around the time he signed with Ferrari that Lewis had every intention to stay, he wanted a 3 year contract so he could have a seat for the new regs but was denied and only offered a 1 + 1 because they wanted to keep the option open for antonelli, Toto himself said this. Apparently the board also rejected making him an ambassador. That being said it's only normal Lewis would eventually be kept out of certain meetings and they would start prioritizing Russell.
I don't think either side was wrong. Lewis obviously believes he has many more years and looking at his performances on good days, he still got every bit of his talent intact. He just doesn't try hardrer when the car is difficult to drive nowadays, which is understandable. Mercedes doesn't want to repeat the mistake of losing Max in 2015 and hence, are eager to have Antonelli in the team. I am sure there might be some clause in Antonelli-Mercedes contract that has forced Toto to make such a difficult decision of offering a short term contract to Lewis. I guess Toto or Mercedes didn't consider any possibility of Lewis moving to Ferrari. They probably thought he would retire and stay with the team.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

214270 wrote:
27 May 2024, 10:46
Speaking of Antonelli…still waiting to be blown away.
I agree. Considering the field in f2 I expected him to be more of a shining light. He really has not set himself apart at all. I remember leclercs f2 season and the brilliance was evident then. So was Russell. Woopteedoo he is faster than Mick in the w13. That’s not saying much at all.

DGP123
DGP123

Hammerfist wrote:
27 May 2024, 17:07
214270 wrote:
I agree. Considering the field in f2 I expected him to be more of a shining light. He really has not set himself apart at all. I remember leclercs f2 season and the brilliance was evident then. So was Russell. Woopteedoo he is faster than Mick in the w13. That’s not saying much at all.
They had seven wins each that season. Prema might not win a single race this season. That’s why it’s a pointless comparison.

Too early to judge. Merc though are in a bad position, whereby they have to gamble and commit to him it seems.
Last edited by DGP123 on 27 May 2024, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

maygun
maygun

Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:
Not to say Kimi is better, but for better comparison with context, both Leclerc and Russell did f3 before f2 and were 20 when they were racing in F2. Kimi skipped f3 and 17 now.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

maygun wrote:
27 May 2024, 18:10
Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:
Not to say Kimi is better, but for better comparison with context, both Leclerc and Russell did f3 before f2 and were 20 when they were racing in F2. Kimi skipped f3 and 17 now.
The problem seems to be that there is a need (from some in F1) to get the drivers as soon as they can. Which is strange because, other than Max, none of the recent big names started in F1 at a very young age - they were in their early 20s. Michael, Fernando, Lewis, Kimi, Seb were all 20+. Michael and Lewis did more of a traditional approach through the junior formulae where Fernando, Kimi and Seb spent fewer seasons between karts and F1. But none of them were teenagers. Senna and Prost didn't race single seaters until they were 21.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Mosin123 wrote:
27 May 2024, 11:20
Dunlay wrote:
27 May 2024, 10:47
DGP123 wrote:
27 May 2024, 09:11

You must be very young if you think this has got toxic. The other point about Russell, sums up how the team, along with his fans, have settled and are content with such mediocrity. Embarrassing stuff.
Before the arrival of Hamilton cultists to Mercedes, the team threads used to be content and encouraging. It was a difficult time for the team, but Schumacher fans were not toxic and blaming team for lack of results. It was a phase of building the team. Current situation is no different. Patience is the key for Mercedes and George fans. Whether George stays for any long, is a question mark. One thing for sure is, this thread is going to be calm next year, while all the toxicity would rise in Ferrari thread. Lewis deserves better fans.
And yet, this is the most toxic post on the thread, yet names LH fans.............. shocked mods havent removed the post yet. still time i guess.
Yes - there is yet time
Dunlay wrote:
27 May 2024, 11:42
Mosin123 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Before the arrival of Hamilton cultists to Mercedes, the team threads used to be content and encouraging. It was a difficult time for the team, but Schumacher fans were not toxic and blaming team for lack of results. It was a phase of building the team. Current situation is no different. Patience is the key for Mercedes and George fans. Whether George stays for any long, is a question mark. One thing for sure is, this thread is going to be calm next year, while all the toxicity would rise in Ferrari thread. Lewis deserves better fans.
And yet, this is the most toxic post on the thread, yet names LH fans.............. shocked mods havent removed the post yet. still time i guess.
I have learnt that we can report a post if that goes against the forum rules. Mods can definitely take action on a post if it violates the rules and if they do, I would be happy to learn what was wrong in my post and ensure it doesn't repeat.

I am a fan of Lewis ever since he debuted and don't blame Mercedes for lack of results or George for the team having centered around him after Lewis decided to quit. Just that I don't like certain online behaviour of people that call themselves Lewis fans. That's my opinion.

Your post is directly calling out the posters in this place - in the thread - and it is therefore not acceptable in saying they are toxic. So - less of that. We all have opinions - you don't have free speech to call others out - this is not your front room.

If you are wanting to make a wider point about the Merc fanbase/feelings as a fan yourself - fine. Don't be pointing at your peers in this forum telling them they are "cultists" and so on.

Fanboy trolling - not a good place to be.

Posts left in for examples..but next time - delete + warning
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 27 May 2024, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

PlatinumZealot

Dunlay wrote:
DGP123 wrote:
27 May 2024, 09:11
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
27 May 2024, 00:35
Interesting times ahead for Merc and Lewis. Its getting toxic quickly while Russell's having his best year in merc colours so far (Even the car livery suits his Blue helmet and gloves lmaooo)
You must be very young if you think this has got toxic. The other point about Russell, sums up how the team, along with his fans, have settled and are content with such mediocrity. Embarrassing stuff.
Wow. So you are saying people here are part of a cult? Interesting..

:wtf: this is a board warning right there.

Why I am not shocked they let this post stand!! Wow?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

CHT
CHT

LH has always been the no. 1 poster boy in F1 even in his first season with Mclaren.

After tasted long string of unbroken successes it's natural for LH to struggle with this new reality of not having the media attentions due to lack of success on the track.

Moving to Ferrari may seems like the grass is greener on the other side but when LH get to the other side he will likely struggle in Ferrrari unless he is happy to just be Charles teammate within the team

Ferrari already have their postal boy Charles Lercler who is quick, popular, speaks fluent Italian, young and charming like a young prince without having to dress up like one.

To be hoesnt LH look pretty beaten both on and off track these days and considering how quick this new bred of esport F1 drivers are today, I think LH may not be able to regain back his confidence and dominate the sports like before. And it is not good for his legacy and mental wellbeing if he continues to be beaten by his teammate at Ferrari.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

The usual narrative building is at play.
Now Mercedes is 100% supporting George (even though the new wing was offered to Hamilton first as far as I understand) So now Hamilton isn't expected to beat George at all in qualifying. And if/when he does beat George at some races , the same questions will arise. Is George any good ? What is the future if Mercedes with just George ?

Then there's the narrative that Hamilton does better in the races. And somehow this is supposed to cancel out George's qualifying results. But this is basically a red herring. The whole point of head to head qualifying is that it takes away all the variables of the race. Luck , strategy ect. Not only are ppl saying it cancels it out , they talk like it overrides Georges qualifying. It isn't like this for any other teammates.

None of this really has to happen if George just got some credit once and awhile for beating his teammate. LH is not young. And he's hanging with George . He will beat George in qualifying this year. He might string a few together.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

maygun wrote:
27 May 2024, 18:10
Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:
I'm not saying that he is worse than Leclerc and Russell. I am saying I have not seen anything special yet from him while he's in F2. But I'm fully aware his F2 career does not define him. Yes he's very young and less experienced than the rest of the field. After all Russell beat Norris in F2 but you'll be hard pressed to find many people ranking Russel above Norris.

Dunlay
Dunlay

CMSMJ1 wrote:
27 May 2024, 23:14
Mosin123 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Yes - there is yet time
Dunlay wrote:
27 May 2024, 11:42
Mosin123 wrote:

I have learnt that we can report a post if that goes against the forum rules. Mods can definitely take action on a post if it violates the rules and if they do, I would be happy to learn what was wrong in my post and ensure it doesn't repeat.

I am a fan of Lewis ever since he debuted and don't blame Mercedes for lack of results or George for the team having centered around him after Lewis decided to quit. Just that I don't like certain online behaviour of people that call themselves Lewis fans. That's my opinion.

Your post is directly calling out the posters in this place - in the thread - and it is therefore not acceptable in saying they are toxic. So - less of that. We all have opinions - you don't have free speech to call others out - this is not your front room.

If you are wanting to make a wider point about the Merc fanbase/feelings as a fan yourself - fine. Don't be pointing at your peers in this forum telling them they are "cultists" and so on.

Fanboy trolling - not a good place to be.

Posts left in for examples..but next time - delete + warning
Thank you for clarification. I didn't intend to disrespect anyone, if thst is how my post is viewed. Sorry about that folks.

ringo

chrisc90 wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:03
Mercedes undercut chance was scuppered before even the outlap. If you look at the telemetry and the lap times for the in lap, and each out lap, if the positions were reversed, and Max was the one boxing to undercut, he would have done so pretty closely, even ignoring the outlap.

https://ibb.co/9cB80mC
https://ibb.co/Tq0ZBtc
https://ibb.co/TkJQkF2

Lap 50 - Which was Lewis' in-lap was a 1:35.209 (thats the lap that includes driving into the pitlane and box. And the stop itself presumibly).

Lap 51 - which was Max's in-lap was a 1:33.905 (again, the lap including the box and the stop) Which is 1.304 seconds faster over all, before any out-lap times were taken into account.

Closest Lewis was to Max during the start of his inlap 1.395 and actually increased to 1.6 to 1.8seconds on the actual inlap, rather than closing right up.

Lap 52, which was Lewis's out-lap was a 1:19.702

Lap 53 - which was Max's out-lap was a 1:18.724

Thats a difference of 0.978 across the out-laps (so basically a second).
If george backed up Max you can add lots of time to max's inlap. So Merc could have orchestrated ruining Max's race using both cars but didnt ask George for some reason.
For Sure!!

DGP123
DGP123

CHT wrote:
28 May 2024, 01:55
After tasted long string of unbroken successes it's natural for LH to struggle with this new reality of not having the media attentions due to lack of success on the track.

Moving to Ferrari may seems like the grass is greener on the other side but when LH get to the other side he will likely struggle in Ferrrari unless he is happy to just be Charles teammate within the team

Ferrari already have their postal boy Charles Lercler who is quick, popular, speaks fluent Italian, young and charming like a young prince without having to dress up like one.

To be hoesnt LH look pretty beaten both on and off track these days and considering how quick this new bred of esport F1 drivers are today, I think LH may not be able to regain back his confidence and dominate the sports like before. And it is not good for his legacy and mental wellbeing if he continues to be beaten by his teammate at Ferrari.
Thanks for the anti-ham nonsense