2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

SoulPancake13 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 18:17
I think Charles is quite convinced he needs to do the improving in qualy and it is not a car issue. They just need to find the right warmup procedure, the lap is good, as he extracts the most out of the grip, the issue is that he is not getting all the grip available.
There is a car limitation in qualifying and in the last two WE Sainz was able to cope with it better than Leclerc. The fact that Sainz is doing better doesn’t mean it’s great 😄 So both Ferrari and Leclerc have to improve on this.
Last edited by Stu on 08 Apr 2024, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

f1316
f1316

Vinlarr89 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:24
Xyz22 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:16
Vinlarr89 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:11

Why!?! They extracted the absolute maximum result vs the RBR team! And proved that despite a poor quali the team can regain places through maximising the strengths of the car (tyre wear)
Indeed. We need to improve quali, we can’t start that much behind.
Leclerc especially needs to get on top of it.

The race was really good but frustrating due to the bad performance yesterday
I see it as a massive positive. Last year we started on pole or second most weekends, waiting for the inevitable slip down the order because there was no race pace in the car. On top of this we were only .4 secs off RBR and they’ve had their first upgrades. But that being said, .4 is still a significant gap to close. Charles first stint though 😮‍💨
I don’t even think 4 tenths is accurate on pure race pace because the nature of the grid positions amplified that. For Carlos, he lost time to Perez at every pit stop because he came out behind more cars he had to overtake - he also had a harder time overtaking (I still think RB has a bigger DRS effect but different conversation). In clear air there was almost nothing to choose between him and Checo in actual pace, which is insane for a track like this.

I’d argue Charles’ gap could potentially have been even less. By the time he got free air at the start of the race, he was 17 seconds behind Max; he lost another 9 seconds in the remainder of the race. Yes, he stopped one fewer time but that’s part of the picture - it doesn’t negate the overall race time delta. That’s about 0.2 seconds per lap vs Max. And while the one stopper was the right strategy from where Charles was, it wasn’t the optimal strategy for total race time. I honestly think his genuine pace would have pushed Max close in a straight fight.

They know they still need a step to put it all together but I’m now feeling quite bullish about China - this may not be ferrari’s ideal track either but it’s not a bogey track like Suzuka. If they can do this kind of pace in Suzuka I think they can fight for the win elsewhere.

Dream Theater

aleks_ader wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 11:34
Dammn Italians really need French guy to sort them out. This car is really really raceable.
Ahhh please stop with this rethoric. As much as I'm loving Vasseur's tremendous work and dedication, it now clear more than ever that the biggest issue was always the management (aka the Agnelli/Elkann in the last decades). Now they've (finally) understood that to win you must, first of all, be interested in your own company, two, put at lest a bit of passion, and three, let the team work in a less toxic and witch hunting environment.
Now all these aspects are working in harmony, but without them even Vasseur would have not been capable of doing what he is doing right now.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Another thing they have to improve is tyre model during the race. They kept saying the hards were terrible due to MB performance and probably Norris high deg in the second stint, but the SF 24 is different from these cars. Leclerc made his fastest lap at the end of the race after a very long stint. This means they were way too conservative at the beginning. Need to find a better sweet spot on this aspect as well.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

In the last stint on the hards, both Charles and Lando did quite similar lap times overall. I remember their gap being relatively stable over the entire stint.

Given the better deg on the Ferrari, do you think Charles could have held onto 3rd if he was a bit more aggressive? I guess he was conservative on his lap times to make sure that he could go to the end comfortably, but I feel Ferrari should starting trusting the SF 24 and Charles a bit more.

Especially after that first stint, they should have been more aggressive I think. He set his fastest lap on the last lap and that was faster than the 3 ahead of him.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Sphere3758 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 20:43
In the last stint on the hards, both Charles and Lando did quite similar lap times overall. I remember their gap being relatively stable over the entire stint.

Given the better deg on the Ferrari, do you think Charles could have held onto 3rd if he was a bit more aggressive? I guess he was conservative on his lap times to make sure that he could go to the end comfortably, but I feel Ferrari should starting trusting the SF 24 and Charles a bit more.

Especially after that first stint, they should have been more aggressive I think. He set his fastest lap on the last lap and that was faster than the 3 ahead of him.
They should have pushed earlier. I think they didn't for the following reasons: Mercedes terrible performance in the first stint and Norris very high deg on the second stint.

Still need to improve in this aspect.

dia6olo
dia6olo

Sphere3758 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 20:43

I think there's no way Charles holds onto 3rd from Sainz with that big a tyre disadvantage.
I do however feel Ferrari need to now start being a little more aggressive with their setup choices.

Vanja #66

Max was almost cruising on Hards, that stint wasn't quite representative. He was around 0.2s a lap faster than Checco and the gap was 0.5s on Mediums. He had the win in hand and all he had to do was put the Fastest Lap to get that point.

His final 3 laps were in lower PU mode and Leclerc was gaining on straights and losing in corners. It's possible Leclerc was covering Norris in the final 10 laps and team decided there's no need to push more than that.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ferrari, Sainz: "We were 2 tenths here in the race, now it will be our turn with updates. Yes, now we know there will be circuits where we can play it"
2 tenths gap on RB's best circuit after upgrades and the "weakest" circuit for Ferrari.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This could turn into a championship challenge for Ferrari from Imola. Now all the excuses about degradation and hard to drive car are gone. It's time to deliver.

Vanja #66

Oh wow, he's comparing himself and Ferrari to Checco... :lol:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 21:42
This could turn into a championship challenge for Ferrari from Imola. Now all the excuses about degradation and hard to drive car are gone. It's time to deliver.
Except the car is still not there in terms of pure pace and there is no guarantee it will be from Imola onwards.

Constructors might be on the table if Checo does not make a step, that's about as much of a title mount as there will be.
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 07 Apr 2024, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
We'll see what kind of performance the upgrade will bring in terms of overall lap time and considering the current weaknesses of the car.

Doesn't seem a likely scenario. The goal is to challenge for wins in tracks that suit the car the best, not the world title, which is wishful thinking at the moment.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 07 Apr 2024, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Xyz22 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 18:06
Ferrari will be able to add performance and improve the quali especially with Leclerc it could turn into the second half of the 2019 season maybe. Huge if of course as RB will also develop the car.
God no. Anything but 2019. :)

2 tenths off sounds overly optimistic, but what do I know.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

AR3-GP wrote:
Performance updates are tricky with this generation of cars. A performance update could easily tank tyre wear.
Although if there's a team on the grid that would be absolutely paranoid to avoid that, it's surely Ferrari.

Personally I feel that repeating the result of 2022 in terms of wins (4) is a reasonable target.