2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Rewatching the race, they were clearly too conservative with Leclerc in the final stint. I'm baffled, actually. Deg was indeed high, but not so high. They were way too scared.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

scuderiabrandon wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 21:46
AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 21:42
This could turn into a championship challenge for Ferrari from Imola. Now all the excuses about degradation and hard to drive car are gone. It's time to deliver.
Except the car is still not there in terms of pure pace and there is no guarantee it will be from Imola onwards.

Constructors might be on the table if Checo does not make a step, that's about as much of a title mount as there will be.
If Leclerc buttoned up and beat Sainz in Australia and Japan like he is expected to, we would be have having a different discussion.

scuderiabrandon

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 21:55
scuderiabrandon wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 21:42
This could turn into a championship challenge for Ferrari from Imola. Now all the excuses about degradation and hard to drive car are gone. It's time to deliver.
Except the car is still not there in terms of pure pace and there is no guarantee it will be from Imola onwards.

Constructors might be on the table if Checo does not make a step, that's about as much of a title mount as there will be.
If Leclerc buttoned up and beat Sainz in Australia and Japan like he is expected to, we would be have having a different discussion.
In what way woiuld the discussion be different? Australia is a big what if because Max didn't finish. I don't think he would've been quick enough to trouble Max today, potentially Checo but not Max.

Xyz22
Xyz22

scuderiabrandon wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:00
AR3-GP wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:

In what way? Australia ita big what if because Max didn't finish. I don't think he would've been quick enough to trouble Max today, definitely Checo but not Max.
Even getting Checo would have been very tough by starting behind Norris.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

scuderiabrandon wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:00
AR3-GP wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:

In what way? Australia ita big what if because Max didn't finish. I don't think he would've been quick enough to trouble Max today, definitely Checo but not Max.
Max did not finish in Australia, but Sainz and Leclerc did. I'm only speaking from the perspective of maximizing points on Leclerc's side.

In some ways this season reminds me of 2021 where it started and looked like RB had a big edge and Mercedes had to wait for upgrades, yet Hamilton managed to sneak the win in Bahrain. Verstappen stole it in France and USA and the season ebbed and flowed.

I simply think it would be too early for Leclerc to drop his head (or for you guys to be thinking there's no chance this year). It's a LONG way to go in this championship and Ferrari's Imola upgrade could change the performance landscape. Leclerc does not want to have any regrets at the end of this year. A championship opportunity could spawn itself very quickly. Another DNF or 2 for Verstappen? You never know what's going to be there.

Ferrari still has more windtunnel hours than Red Bull as well.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 07 Apr 2024, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.

Vanja #66

scuderiabrandon wrote:
It's not on the table, in 4 races Checo did as much as he could with the car he had. Ferrari need at least 5 tenths from Imola upgrade to mount a consistent challenge on every track in the following 18 races. Yes, plenty of races and plenty of points, but does this half-a-second-step sound real?

Vasseur was clear - multiple wins are the goal this year. WCC fight (just a fight) if they are lucky. WDC is not even considered... Both titles are Red Bull's to lose
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Getting 0.3s out of the upgrade would be already a phenomenal result, the best in Ferrari recent history probably (comparable to the Spain package in 2012). Anything else would be cherry on top / miracle stuff.

In any event to challenge for the world title the car needs to be capable of pole which is not the case at the moment. The drivers pretty much got 1 Q3 over 4 races, which means there is clearly an issue with the car over one lap that makes it very hard to extract the 100% on a consistent basis.

Starting P1 or P2 at worst is absolutely key and i don't think they will be able to do that this year. The goal is to do it for next year.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Yes agree up to this point it looks like both titles are still Red Bull's to lose.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Xyz22 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:12
Getting 0.3s out of the upgrade would be already a phenomenal result, the best in Ferrari recent history probably (comparable to the Spain package in 2012). Anything else would be cherry on top / miracle stuff.
2018 Bahrain floor update brought even more I think.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:07
scuderiabrandon wrote:
It's not on the table, in 4 races Checo did as much as he could with the car he had. Ferrari need at least 5 tenths from Imola upgrade to mount a consistent challenge on every track in the following 18 races. Yes, plenty of races and plenty of points, but does this half-a-second-step sound real?

Vasseur was clear - multiple wins are the goal this year. WCC fight (just a fight) if they are lucky. WDC is not even considered... Both titles are Red Bull's to lose
It's only after Imola that we will know the real trajectories so I definitely think this claim is premature.

Xyz22
Xyz22

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:20
Xyz22 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:12
2018 Bahrain floor update brought even more I think.
That's because there was a major flaw in the base floor spec which was unexpected, so i didn't include it.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:20
It's only after Imola that we will know the real trajectories so I definitely think this claim is premature.
It's pure wishful thinking at this point. Red Bull is still really far ahead overall(seriously, Max is just out there cruising most of the time, so judging laptimes against him isn't representative of full gap). I know there's been some 'hyping' of the extent of the Imola upgrades, but realistically, it would require another transformative level of improvement to really be capable of fighting for wins on a weekly basis. Team is doing great this year, but it's very unlikely.

Speaking of doing great, the team's raceday operations have been just as big of an improvement as the car this year. Just amazing work.
Last edited by Seanspeed on 07 Apr 2024, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Again, looking at the last stint, I think Ferrari go too conservative with Charles. That's 3 out of 4 races that it feels like the tyre wasn't totally used to perfection.

deadhead

SoulPancake13 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:39
Again, looking at the last stint, I think Ferrari go too conservative with Charles. That's 3 out of 4 races that it feels like the tyre wasn't totally used to perfection.
To me it looked like they maxed out the medium tire and maybe even overdid it somewhat, so you are right if they missed out on anything it would be the last stint on hards but can't be all that much left in it, from LEC's perspective anyway.

dia6olo
dia6olo

I think Ferrari are a lot closer to Red Bull than it looks, for me they are being conservative and it's flattering Red Bulls advantage especially the gap over the opening two races.
They look to me like they are still finding their feet with their car, in particular with how it uses the tyres.
When they figure them out they will be a lot closer even without an upgrade.

Also a good chunk of Red Bulls (Max's) advantage is down to driving in clean air.
Last edited by dia6olo on 07 Apr 2024, 23:02, edited 2 times in total.