COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Pup wrote:Ignoring that...

LOL.
Not sure I understand the reasoning behind single day GA tickets. If they've sold out of 3-day, then the only way they can sell single day is to add more GA area - open the infield or something. And if they do that, then why not sell more 3-day passes? No reason they can't do both I suppose - the infield at T10 would be great seating. Their ability to add GA, or any other seating for that mater probably has a lot more to do with permits and facilities than anything else at this point.
The reasoning is simple. You kinda answered the question. They arbitrarily capped GA at what they say was 40K. Why? It's not for lack of room. Some people think they did it for the same reasons they've throttled GS sales and might be throttling PSL conversions...to regulate the supply/demand relationship. Of course they will want to get as many people out there as they can, and 1-day GA is an untapped market.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

FW17

Pup wrote:New aerial. They've started paving the main road and laying final gravel on the perimeter road. Also setting up more parking areas all around...
It kills me still how much runoff there is around the esses.
Wish they would atleast make it brown as in Bahrain
Last edited by FW17 on 22 Aug 2012, 07:47, edited 2 times in total.

sknguy
sknguy

The red accents are a very interesting architectural feature though. Red on white on grey is a bold, contrasting, clean structured look. Not so sure that the sand color of the stonework fits in. But I'd guess Tilke might've wanted to add at least some natural matreial (and color) to balance the architecture. It appears the stonework is only being used at the ground level/first floor of buildings (ie foundational material). I suppose Tilke's company is first and formost an architectural firm.
Pup wrote: Image
hairy_scotsman wrote: Image

Pup
Pup

A fourth race will soon be announced for the Circuit of the Americas facility under construction southeast of Austin, a COTA official said Friday at an economic development summit in Lockhart.

Local racing experts anticipate it will be the MotoGP motorcycle racing series that COTA previously landed before things deteriorated with former founding partner Tavo Hellmund.

A spokeswoman for COTA said MotoGP is a possibility, but could not provide any further information.

However, the timing for such an announcement seems appropriate as MotoGP appears to be booking next year’s races, recently announcing that is will return to Indianapolis in 2013.

A spokesman for MotoGP could not immediately be reached for comment.

The IndyCar series, which just announced it will return to the Texas Motor Speedway in Dallas and is looking to expand its 2013 schedule, is another possibility.
It's only a matter of time before they all sign up. The track and facilities are just too good for any major series to ignore.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/ ... ml?ana=twt

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

sknguy wrote:The red accents are a very interesting architectural feature though. Red on white on grey is a bold, contrasting, clean structured look. Not so sure that the sand color of the stonework fits in. But I'd guess Tilke might've wanted to add at least some natural matreial (and color) to balance the architecture. It appears the stonework is only being used at the ground level/first floor of buildings (ie foundational material). I suppose Tilke's company is first and formost an architectural firm.
The GS and tower were designed by Miro Rivera. That likely explains why they have a different look from anything else on the grounds.
Last edited by Richard on 22 Aug 2012, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

It'd be interesting if Indy went here. We could see the lap time differences

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Absolutelee wrote:It'd be interesting if Indy went here. We could see the lap time differences
I'd love that...unless they do what I've heard the V8s are doing (using the cut-through to cut off Turns 7-11).

strad

Thing is, Bernie WON'T allow it..in caps..He's on record.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

In other news: 2013 V8 Supercars at COTA...

Race 1: May 18
Race 2: May 19

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Charlie Whiting (front, khaki pants), Bobby Epstein (front, black pants), and several other FIA, COTA, and Austin Commercial folks took a track walk this morning...nice day for it. I was lucky enough to get a shot with my phone:

Pup
Pup

Click for high res version...

They say it's from last week and promise to post an update next Friday. I understand that they're pretty far along now installing the safer barriers, grandstands along the esses, paving the perimeter road, etc. Seats are even being installed in the grandstand/pit building.

Still much to be done...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Vance took a bunch of evening/night photos of the circuit last night:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Samples:

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

BTW, just checked the TicketMaster interactive seat map. There are now 19 sections at Turn 15 with ticket availability. Two days ago there were 8.

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote:BTW, just checked the TicketMaster interactive seat map. There are now 19 sections at Turn 15 with ticket availability. Two days ago there were 8.

You did not find anything else to morn about today?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:BTW, just checked the TicketMaster interactive seat map. There are now 19 sections at Turn 15 with ticket availability. Two days ago there were 8.

You did not find anything else to morn about today?
Mourn? It's just information...like this:

Codemasters' onboard lap:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COVxILUx ... r_embedded[/youtube]