Moss: F1 no longer fun with no risk to life and limb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Moss: F1 no longer fun with no risk to life and limb

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Sir Stirling Moss thinks it is “a shame” that Formula One is so safe today.

“The concept, the whole idea, has changed,” the British legend, who started winning grands prix in the middle of the 50s, said on Austrian Servus TV.

“That’s a shame, because we had fun risking life and limb and that’s gone now, really,” added Moss, 82.

Moss admits that the danger was a key factor in his enjoyment of racing.

“In my opinion, if you don’t want to take risks, play tennis,” he added.
=D> :lol:
What a jerk.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Belatti
Belatti

I agree to have a sport with safety measures, like we have got today. However, I dont agree to change rulebooks every year to cut performance (and thus speed) in the name of safety. F1 should be lapping 10 secods faster nowadays. Let the cars and tracks be safe, let the speed be dangerous.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

simieski
simieski

bhallg2k wrote: Moss, on the other hand, is a hypocrite. If F1 is much more fun when risking life and limb, why did he retire from racing after an accident put him in a coma for a month? I imagine it's because much like death, comas aren't fun.

Stirling Moss just needs to shut up and be thankful he's old.
I think you have neglected somewhat the small issue of being partially paralysed down his left side after coming out of the coma.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

bhall
bhall

...from which he made a full recovery.

Mr Alcatraz

I think Niki Lauda is a good example of someone who gained a new perspective of the danger of racing and the value of life. He chose to (arguably) give away a WDC after his near death experience. Does that make him a pussy, I think not? The guy was tough as nails.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

strad

Reading thru this I cannot understand how those who disagree cannot understand what Moss meant.
Actually it was Jackie Stewart that not that long ago said much the same thing. He felt we had gone too far and it was too safe.
How can you not understand how facing and cheating death makes life sweeter?
A big Image for those of you who do understand. Usually there is no one on my side of this agruement.
No one is gonna get out of here alive so you might as well enjoy your time here to the fullest.
He chose to (arguably) give away a WDC after his near death experience.
Alcatraz,,,because he couldn't blink and it was raining. Not because of fear of death.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall
bhall

strad wrote:[...]

How can you not understand how facing and cheating death makes life sweeter?

[...]
It's probably the same reason why we can't understand how anyone can be so cavalier with other people's lives. It's real easy to say F1 is too safe when one's world of F1 is nothing more than a Barcalounger and a remote control.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im at a total loss for anyone who says death is something they want to watch as a sport.

I want to see guys go out and leave it all out on track and dice and cut one another up to win. I want to see drivers get out of cars and hardley be able to stand, like Mansell in the 80s and 90s with the likes of Alonso post Bahrain 2008 as well.

If anything, id make F1 races longer to 350km or even 400km.

If you want risk/reward id go and watch another form of sport, but safety is paramount in F1 now.

Id love to see what his reaction or oppionion would be if Glock had lost his leg in Japan Quali 2009, Massa had been killed at Hugary Quali 09, Webber had been killed in Valencia 2010 and if Keikki had been left in a wheelchair post Spain 2008 shunt.

If i want to see people maimed or injured ill go and watch WWE or TNA Wresteling or Ultimate Fighting Championship.

strad

bhallg2k Not at all..you're wrong..you're making a huge assumption about me.
I haven't raced F1 but I have indeed risked my life in racing and would do it all again.
IF you are afraid to see someone die, you better lock youself in your room and draw the blinds.
We all die, all that's in question is how.
All things die
Family dies...friends die...animals die...the only thing that lives forever is the great deed.
ESP...
Im at a total loss for anyone who says death is something they want to watch as a sport.
...NO one has suggested they WANT to see anyone die.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

ESPImperium wrote:Im at a total loss for anyone who says death is something they want to watch as a sport.

Id love to see what his reaction or oppionion would be if Glock had lost his leg in Japan Quali 2009, Massa had been killed at Hugary Quali 09, Webber had been killed in Valencia 2010 and if Keikki had been left in a wheelchair post Spain 2008 shunt.
They didn't andd he would have accepted it as I would have as a part of the sport that happens.
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall
bhall

strad wrote:bhallg2k Not at all..you're wrong..you're making a huge assumption about me.
I haven't raced F1 but I have indeed risked my life in racing and would do it all again.
IF you are afraid to see someone die, you better lock youself in your room and draw the blinds.
We all die, all that's in question is how.
All things die
Family dies...friends die...animals die...the only thing that lives forever is the great deed.
ESP...
...NO one has suggested they WANT to see anyone die.
Just as no one has suggested they're incapable of accepting that outcome should it arise. That people are willing to accept the occasional mortal consequences of motorsport is still no reason to invite those consequences by neglecting safety standards.

F1 will never be safe, and no one expects it to be. But, to do less than what's possible to make it safer is criminal.

DM0407
DM0407

bhallg2k wrote::wtf:

Among others, let's ask Ayrton Senna, Mike Hawthorne, Gilles Villeneuve, Jochen Rindt, and Alberto Ascari how they feel on the subject.

Each one of these drivers saw someone lose their life before they lost their own. Senna raced the very next day after losing a close friend on the exact same track. We do not need to ask them, they're actions speak louder than words.

Also, this is the view of a racer who grew up in a different era. He is speaking from a drivers point of view. It wreaks of "back in my day we had real men driving..." but it is his point of view and only other F1 drivers have anywhere near the clout and experience to debate him on it.

I never want to see anyone killed, but I wouldn't mind some harsher penalties for going over the limit (closer walls please)... Maldonado would not be driving like a maniac if he feared death, Vettel may not be able to consistently lap so fast if going over the edge meant a broke leg.

Blue fellow
Blue fellow

I don't like the number of fastest lap times that are from nearly a decade ago

DM0407
DM0407

bhallg2k wrote: F1 will never be safe, and no one expects it to be. But, to do less than what's possible to make it safer is criminal.

Well that would mean that we cover the drivers in bubble wrap and make them race on tricycles.. Its finding the balance between safety and risk. Moss is not saying to get ride of all the medical staff, helicopters and armco's and that will make the sport better. We just need to find the right mixture of danger and safety and we all have differing opinions on where that is.

Is there a more dramatic and awe inspiring picture from recently that can rival an image of Jim Clark 5 feet in the air after hitting a massive hill on the Nordschleife?

bhall
bhall

DM0407 wrote:Each one of these drivers saw someone lose their life before they lost their own. Senna raced the very next day after losing a close friend on the exact same track. We do not need to ask them, they're actions speak louder than words.

[...]
Senna didn't even know Ratzenberger, but his death so profoundly influenced Senna that he made plans the next day to reform the GPDA in an effort to improve safety standards. Sadly...

Racers race in spite of the risks inherent to racing. That's what they do, and we love them for it. But, ask any current F1 driver if he thinks F1 is too safe, and I'd be willing to bet that he'd tell you that's not even possible.

And come on. Bubble wrap and tricycles?